A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

What sort of size does the layout take up?

I'd say something like 14 ft by 8 ft .The curves I have take all the stock I currently have ok.Lets see what the new 72xx does.

Does anyone have a link to some suitable extra lighting I can easily rig up for photos to give me a boost.I'm sure I've seen some clip on types used somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I'd say something like 14 ft by 8 ft .The curves I have take all the stock I currently have ok.Lets see what the new 72xx does.

Does anyone have a link to some suitable extra lighting I can easily rig up for photos to give me a boost.I'm sure I've seen some clip on types used somewhere.

Sounds a bit wider than my Railway room for Wharncliffe then.

With regard to lighting, I successfully used a tripod at the weekend and changed the white balance in the camera for the fluorescent lamps. I also set the camera into manual mode, which also made a difference.

Good luck - But I don't think you need a fancy lighting set-up. Maybe even a couple of halogen lights, but set in such a way to avoid harsh shadows. 

Keep the photos comin Robin. Very much liking what I'm seeing.

As to the photos, before I got the photoflood and only the power saving bulb as the single (mid room) light source, I put the camera, either layout or tripod mounted, and used the aperture priority mode with the delay shutter mode switched on. This sometimes gave me an exposure time of anything upto 25 secs but the photos were more than OK. Not quite as good as now but good enough. give it a whirl.

Many thanks for the mention of Wencombe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin, good to see the layout like this. Cattle dock looks good, nice fencing.

How close is the layout to the real Brent?

Regarding lighting I am in the same position as you. I currently mess around with all sorts of ad hoc lighting when taking photos, and I've grown tired of it. When finances improve I want to invest in some lighting equipment. What I'm trying to say is that it might be worth the cost for you to get some decent gear while you're at it?

Definitely something to look forward to as it's a very nice layout (having had the pleasure of Rob's hospitality and a chance to see it in action)

In that case Robin persevere with the camera and show us more photos. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• RMweb Gold

How close is the layout to the real Brent?

This is the real Brent, ;) seriously though not very close.As I alluded in Andy Y's prototype thread its more a flavour hence the 'nod' with mainly the overbridge and station buildings to give the Brent look.The trackplan is quite close but the goods shed is miles away.I'm a bit of a luddite so doing a trackplan for everyone is a tough ask but if anyone wants to help it would be most welcome.

I'm actually quite overwhelmed in the interest this layout has had with the first three measly photos.You wait till you see a Castle with six or seven on.......

Thanks Westerner for the lighting link but I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much to be honest.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Lovely Robin, but clearly adding a few 'photos at a time, just whets our appetite and clearly we will be saying "We want more!" - Looks terrific, thanks for sharing .... I need to up my game!!

• RMweb Premium

Cracking bit of scenics using that clever road scene running away from the bridge and lovely bridgework including excellent paintwork/stonework. 

I well remember that bridge and the branch peeling away into the cutting to the right as we (usually) thundered through en route to Exeter. As is often the case, I have never been to Brent village.

P

• Like 1

Spent a little time trying to identify the silver "lorry " which had apparently come grief in a ditch to the left of the bridge ...... I blame (rapidly?)failing eyesight for not spotting it was a cunningly disguised SVR clock. Surely "out of period" though?

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent a little time trying to identify the silver "lorry " which had apparently come grief in a ditch to the left of the bridge ...... I blame (rapidly?)failing eyesight for not spotting it was a cunningly disguised SVR clock. Surely "out of period" though?

Ah the lovely SVR clock. ;) The children thought it would nice to buy this on the Santa Special one year out of their pocket money.Its long gone to the clock scrapyard in the sky but I now have a wall clock instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyway let me intoduce you to someone you may see a lot of on this thread over time.One of the porters at Brent was Mike Roper.A keen gardener by the looks of those flowers duely tended between duties on the Great Western.The company he's worked for since he left school.

The B set behind is a Comet kits E129 pair.

post-126-0-86005600-1363970904_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

Rob, I was looking at some photos of Brent the other day, delightful. I remember it too from my trips down to Plymouth to visit my late father in the steam days of the 1960's.

If you want a plan I'm happy to help.

Send me a sketch and I'll see what  I can do.

Edited by john flann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If you want a plan I'm happy to help.

Thanks John but I just remembered I had this plan for when I was organising my control plan back years now.It doesn't have the overbridge or station buildings drawn on as yet but its a start for everyone and gives an idea.

post-126-0-96357400-1363985243_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 9