A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your kind words and blimey a loco request.Now I know how Gilbert feels on Peterborough North. :no:

Well it would be rude not to have a Manor photo. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

GWR 78XX Manor Class-Best looking GWR locomotive :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it would be rude not to have a Manor photo. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

GWR 78XX Manor Class-Best looking GWR locomotive :D

If you can't wait for mine, revisit page 48 here for Andy's superb rendition. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58875-modelling-inspiration-4-out-now/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Request!!!!

The last time I went ripping through Brent it was behind Nunney Castle and King Edward I pulling the CRE, did'nt see much due to the speed the train was going spent most of the time trying to keep all the dining stuff on the table when rounding the curves down the banks can you do that train Rob.

81C

You'll be out of luck there 81C as I don't possess a decent King as yet.A Castle and Hall/Grange instead perhaps ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Request!!!!

The last time I went ripping through Brent it was behind Nunney Castle and King Edward I pulling the CRE, did'nt see much due to the speed the train was going spent most of the time trying to keep all the dining stuff on the table when rounding the curves down the banks can you do that train Rob.

81C

I think that was the trip when Re6/6 and I had our heads permanently stuck out of the window, taking it all in, what a superb run that was!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That is surreal. The photo has been posted on flickr by a former colleague - and you and another RMwebber are the two people who have added it to their favourites!

The web is a small place sometimes :-)

A lovely photo taken in the early 1900s and the cattle dock is nothing like the one I've modelled. :no: Lime wash still in use on the cattle wagons too.

I wonder it it's a horse market going on? There are some pretty lowly looking beasts among them!

(trying hard not to make a TESCO joke).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A lovely photo taken in the early 1900s and the cattle dock is nothing like the one I've modelled. :no: Lime wash still in use on the cattle wagons too.

Totally agree Robin.

I've never seen a picture of Brent like that before and its exceptionally good. Thanks for posting it Mikkel. :)

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

(trying hard not to make a TESCO joke).

Was there a Tesco in Newton Abbot or Lee Mill in Edwardian times? :jester:  :butcher: 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

That's probably the back end of one of the annual Dartmoor Pony drifts and sales when excess animals were brought off the moor and sold to reduce the stock numbers before the winter.

The same thing brought a lot of traffic to Ashburton, outward only.

Wally

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If the weather warms up in time for the Easter weekend I'll have a go at recreating that scene.Unfortunately I don't have any model horses but have some Devonshire cattle instead.No bowler hatted figures either ! :blum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If the weather warms up in time for the Easter weekend 

Very clever :-)

Seriously though, it would be great to see some "mex" action on Brent if you get the chance Robin. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very clever :-)

Seriously though, it would be great to see some "mex" action on Brent if you get the chance Robin. 

Its your fault Mikkel. :O

The wife found my list by the computer of possible characters for my cameos and she thought I'd been looking at illicit websites.I've had to put her in the picture to who Flora Finching might be . :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As requested a bit of action at Brent as Newton based 4547 arrives to shunt some cattle wagons in the yard.Out of sight pannier tank 3796 simmers nicely waiting with it single coach in the sun.

post-126-0-19673500-1364560654_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-79965100-1364560802_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Very nice thank you. What with Peterboro' North and this excellent entertainment, all I need now is something Southern and something Midland to swoon over at my leisure.

Oh yes, Castles and Kings Thundered, Manors roared!! Hope you don't mind; it's to do with the cylinders ya knows.

Lovely pics Rob and I hope Flora and Minnie have had their tea and cake?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

During the night (yes it is sad)  I decided that Halls and Granges barked and Counties bellowed. Does anyone remember or have noticed how many GWR/WR loco's had a squeak/shriek as part of the exhaust sound when starting off? I wonder what caused that?

Quack

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh this is good stuff, Robin. Many thanks for responding to our requests :-)

Minnie and Flora look really good. Nothing stick-like about them, which in itself does wonders for realism. The shading you've done helps a whole lot too. 

Great shots Robin, although not sure about the old dears having a gossip on the seat!

Are you sure? They might be playing a little game: How to tell a loco with your back turned.

"That bark, Minnie, I'm sure it's a Pannier."

"Yes well obviously, Flora. But is it an 57xx or an 8750?"

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure? They might be playing a little game: How to tell a loco with your back turned.

"That bark, Minnie, I'm sure it's a Pannier."

"Yes well obviously, Flora. But is it an 57xx or an 8750?"

I thought you might chip in Mikkel.Wait till the new Bachmann 64xx comes out as that will throw them.You don't normally see those around here.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd show you one of my mistakes. :O This is what happens if you renumber a loco without proper research.I know 4540 worked the Kingsbridge branch but what I didn't know was its outside steam pipes were fitted in 1951.I'm hoping the plates come off easily without damage.I found this info in the RCTS part nine I purchased to research the 72xx class.You live and learn.

post-126-0-71018300-1364639497_thumb.jpg

• Like 16