A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

At the time you probably didn't know how 'lucky' you were.I wasn't even a twinkle in the old man's eye then but he would have loved it too.

I don't want to rub it in Rob, but what Phil did not mention is that if it was a school day he would have got there on a Southern Region train from Devonport Kings Road station, probably behind a Bullied pacific!

Wally

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

a Southern Region train from Devonport Kings Road station, probably behind a Bullied pacific!

Wally

I think you need to go and wash your mouth out young man.Swearing like that. :jester:

• Like 8

I think you need to go and wash your mouth out young man.Swearing like that. :jester:

My school (next to his) finished 15 minutes later, so I could not catch the train and had to get the bus straight home.

The "Grammer School boys" always got a better deal than us!

Wally

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Although predominantly a post war G W R modeller,sometimes a new model comes along that has the 'wow' factor.In my case its Bachmann with 9F class 92220 'Evening Star'.A fabulous model but I have no stock to pull with her being 1960 vintage and whats she doing at Tigley Junction shed. :blum:

post-126-0-08996100-1365937330_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18564000-1365937344_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-69885800-1365937357_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

9F class 92220 'Evening Star' speeds to the West through Brent with a rake of choc/cream mk1s in tow.What will the Finching sisters make of that machine.They're used to the grace, poise and elegance of a Castle.... ;)

post-126-0-39707800-1365938248_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-24372100-1365938266_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-05348100-1365938278_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-43983400-1365938290_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Another resident of the village is the postman.Peter Hazell.I make no apologies for the name ,as being a 60s child I was brought up watching the kids tv program 'Trumpton' and 'Camberwick Green' of which he was a character.So my nod to Brent has a nod to Trumpton too. :blum:

The casting is from Aidans range here  http://www.aidan-campbell.co.uk/76catalogue.htm#Tradesmen,%20Professionals%20and%20Service%20Personnel

The post office van is a whitemetal kit of a Morris but I forget who's make and what model it is.

post-126-0-45041600-1365938664_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Another set of 'photos Robin. Is the postman delivering to Windy Miller? (Clearly I am also a child of such teatime fodder!)

The 9f looks particularly at home on those Mk 1 carriages. I too have a Bachmann 9f, although mine is somewhat work stained for a long coal train.. lovely locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finching sisters, in unison on seeing Evening Star; " Good heavens my dear, that is a big one, however it is a very strange shape".

Bulleids and T9s. Rob, I'm sure the SR had a route learning turn at least weekly in both directions but am happy to be corrected.

Tigley Junction - excellent excuse for loco posing.

Wally -  I only caught the 4.05 I think it was, a couple of times as when it reached North Road it was almost as far away from home as School was!

As for us Grammar chaps having an advantage, well we did get to pass DHS for Girls just after chucking out time if we got the 'School Special' (bus) but it was a complete hooligan bundle trying to get on the damn thing outside the school gates.

Q

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another resident of the village is the postman.

I am not too comfortable with this bloke. There's something dodgy about him. And what is he doing there by the hedge anyway. Bit of a Peeping Tom is he? Better keep an eye on him Rob! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am not too comfortable with this bloke. There's something dodgy about him. And what is he doing there by the hedge anyway. Bit of a Peeping Tom is he? Better keep an eye on him Rob! 

He's fine.Thats a parcel from Hattons he's delivering.No strings attached. ;)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Final few photos for today as Newton Abbot based Grange class 6829 'Burmington Grange' brings a down express through Brent.In the rake is my kit built H57 diagram restaurant coach as discussed here on the topic of its Hawksworth livery.It may be incorrect for post war but it looks splendid running with my Bachmann Colletts.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/27467-h57-in-siding/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29558-gwr-collett-restaurant-coach/

post-126-0-20278500-1365958933_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-84587700-1365958968_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74778400-1365958979_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Pendon would be quite pleased to have one of your coach kit builds Rob. That H57 looks the business mate.

As one of the 'Finchings' would say....."look at those lovely table settings, quite makes me want tea and scones dear".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pendon would be quite pleased to have one of your coach kit builds Rob. That H57 looks the business mate.

As one of the 'Finchings' would say....."look at those lovely table settings, quite makes me want tea and scones dear".

Thanks Phil.Not all my work ,I might well add ,as you well know. ;) Those gas tanks were a b****rd to do.

Flora and Minnie put the jam on first by the way. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit of fun here as my renumbered Bachmann 4575 class 5525 pulls in with recently finished Comet E147 coach.The firemans forgot to change lamps from a freight turn.5525's 1930s livery is now a bit early GWR for me but it won't be changed now.The coach is now painted as seen earlier in the thread. The coach livery and build was discussed here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62197-gwr-b-sets-livery/?hl=e147 and here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49589-gwr-b-set-diagram-e147/?hl=e147

post-126-0-66747400-1365970274_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Robin.  I haven't looked in for a day and all these photos appear and 'Spaceships' too.

Great stuff the shed photos look really good-a nice atmosphere about them. I really like the 'Grange' shots too. Nice job of removing the roundel and putting the GWR logo on the side of the tender.

The coach builds add a nice touch of individuality about the coaching stock.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Premium

Flora: (practising for the village panto) " Luv a duck Min, 'av a butchers at that bloomin' gold coach. Must be the King or summit. Oil be avin a word wif that fireman an all. Forgettin' lamps, he'll be forgettin' 'is flippin' shovel next".

Minnie: " Oh Flora, I wish you wouldn't use that awful accent. It sounds like you come from that ghastly Portsmouth". (Sighs):  "If only it were his majesty, he is such a handsome fellow..........".

Signalman: "Calm down ladies, the Royal Train coaches are not available yet so it won't be coming through here for a while and that huge thing with the capped chimney - it was only an illusion caused by you breathing in fumes from those strange plants the Governor has planted on the platform". " Oh, must go, the Riviera is due".

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm getting sick and tired of pushing the 'Like' button all day... :no:

Sierd Jan

I'd better watch out then.I might be the first RMweb member to be sued by a fellow member for causing a repetitive sprain injury. :jester:

Alternatively I could become a Millwall fan as no one likes us. :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good idea, You could model a vandalized supporters train and have it pass through Brent. Would look great on video....

Some of first attempts at coach building looked like they'd been vandalised.By me. :O

• Like 6