A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Being a monosyllabic person.

Totally agree Ian. More than one wife is asking for trouble..

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree Ian. More than one wife is asking for trouble..

Rob

Just back from the Terracotta Warriors exhibition in Liverpool. (Bear with me, m'lud, this does get to the point eventually.) Having seen the first Emperor's toy soldiers I just can't wait until they unearth his train set!

Anyway, in the shop there was an idiot's guide to understanding written Chinese. This, as you probably know, is based on pictograms. The derivation of 'too much/excessive' is of a person with his arms out-stretched and a mark below, presumably something that they have dropped. The pictogram for wife is two 'too much/excessive' pictograms....

Edited by ian

• RMweb Gold

One is indeed tempted to cry..."Percy lives !"...,,,but that would be very rude.....so I'll just sit here and think it.........?...?

Ah yes, the one that looked like "a green caterpillar with red stripes"

• RMweb Gold

Just back from the Terracotta Warriors exhibition in Liverpool. (Bear with me, m'lud, this does get to the point eventually.) Having seen the first Emperor's toy soldiers I just can't wait until they unearth his train set!

Anyway, in the shop there was an idiot's guide to understanding written Chinese. This, as you probably know, is based on pictograms. The derivation of 'too much/excessive' is of a person with his arms out-stretched and a mark below, presumably something that they have dropped. The pictogram for wife is two 'too much/excessive' pictograms....

Must revisit my ( expensive ) guide book to that .Joking apart,if you can get there.....bearing in mind that Lime St. Is a BIG problem ATM and that the M6 now is everyone's worst nightmare.....then give it a go.It is a brilliantly put together snapshot of the real thing..complete with a few of the genuine article.Closes October.Sorry OT...end of commercial.

• RMweb Gold

You drink that stuff ? This evening ideally I would be quaffing a couple of jars of Jaipur ale in the garden of The Packhorse in Little Longstone ,a couple of hundred yards from Monsal Viaduct.

He forgot the four packets of crisps.

attachicon.gif13.jpg

attachicon.gif14.jpg

attachicon.gif15.jpg

After all these years, I have just noticed the steam pipes on these tanks!  :senile:  Perhaps because of the up close pictures which I suppose aren't very practical with express trains or overhead photos.  So lets see some more from ground level. :thankyou:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

You drink that stuff ? This evening ideally I would be quaffing a couple of jars of Jaipur ale in the garden of The Packhorse in Little Longstone ,a couple of hundred yards from Monsal Viaduct.

I can't drugs preclude the pleasure of alcohol and that stuff you drink sound like Indian donkey p!ss.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold
I can't drugs preclude the pleasure of alcohol and that stuff you drink sound like Indian donkey p!ss.  :jester:[/quote

Thornbridge Brewery Bakewell. Makes for one happy donkey....who plans strategic pit stops on the way home.Matlock Sainsbury's being an excellent facility for sampling the plumbing.

• RMweb Gold

After all these years, I have just noticed the steam pipes on these tanks!  :senile:

Brian.

Mike Stationmaster would tell you that's the only common detail on this class of loco. :jester:

Railway rules!  On a certain preserved railway, the lamp couldn't be displayed at the top of the smokebox as it was too high to reach, so the passenger train left without it.  :onthequiet: Never seen that happen before and is this permitted?  Don't want to mention who, just in case!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Railway rules!  On a certain preserved railway, the lamp couldn't be displayed at the top of the smokebox as it was too high to reach, so the passenger train left without it.  :onthequiet: Never seen that happen before and is this permitted?  Don't want to mention who, just in case!

Brian.

Probably not.

• RMweb Premium

Brian.

A train should show a lamp at both ends, even if it's not in the correct position.