A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I doubt a dear old B12 would have got further than the midlands. This van could well have been used for bringing pigeons down from the north east and the WR loco would have come on at Brizzle, taking over from a Black 5 or possibly one of Barrow Road's Patriots?

Ar$£

Actually, the dear old B12's did find there way to the South West during the war...

• RMweb Gold

I doubt a dear old B12 would have got further than the midlands. This van could well have been used for bringing pigeons down from the north east and the WR loco would have come on at Brizzle, taking over from a Black 5 or possibly one of Barrow Road's Patriots?

Ar$£

Pedant intervention.Patriots ( 3 )went to Barrow Road ....I think....only in the very late 1950's/ early 60's.Certainly only in BR days

• RMweb Premium

Pedant intervention.Patriots ( 3 )went to Barrow Road ....I think....only in the very late 1950's/ early 60's.Certainly only in BR days

Oh bu#. I hadn't checked, but I did see all of them in about 1960/61. Pretend I didn't say Barrow Road........maybe evne pretend I said B1 :O

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Oh bu#. I hadn't checked, but I did see all of them in about 1960/61. Pretend I didn't say Barrow Road........maybe evne pretend I said B1 :O

P

Hi Phil

But didn't Barrow Road have some of Sir William's nice 5XP locos. Would a nice Jubilee do instead of one of Sir Henry's 5XP engines?

• RMweb Gold

P

No problem but you're on the mark with B1's which also became frequent visitors to Temple Meads/82E after the ER became responsible for motive power in the Sheffield area.

So how do I know all this ? I spent more time at Temple Meads or looking over the bridge at Barrow Road than was good for my pursuit of a law degree at Uni.Consequently,I know zilch about the laws of tort,contract or property but quite a bit of historical flimflam about the transition period of BR 1960-62.

• Like 1

Also seen, in tandem with GW moguls, at Kidderminster with ambulance trains during WW2 The B12 was dual brake fitted.

For fuller information see 'The Railway at Kidderminster' by A.J.Turley. As many as 7 different B12's appeared from 6/44 to 12/44.

Edited by DavidR

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

But didn't Barrow Road have some of Sir William's nice 5XP locos. Would a nice Jubilee do instead of one of Sir Henry's 5XP engines?

Barrow Road did indeed have a healthy allocation of Jublilees until cometh the BR Sulzer Peak ( aka Class 45 ) in July 1961. These and Black 5's/ Standard 5MT from Derby,Sheffield and Leeds Holbeck were the mainstay of the Midland Bristol-Birmingham route.The Patriots were allocated when displaced from other duties on the LMR to give extra power for increasingly heavy passenger duties. .....i.e.a coach better than a Jubilee .

Edit: regarding Barrow Road ( 22A then 82E) .It had an allocation of Black 5's of both the standard and Caprotti versions. One achieved notoriety ....45274.....as the engine involved in the Sutton Coldfield fatal accident in 1954(?).This is now modelled by Hornby as its latest release but the incident and its significance passed them by on the sleeve notes regrettably

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Its amazing what wives remember when you thought they had forgotten! :declare:

Brian.[/quote

How long have you been married? Wives never forget anything; they just keep them tucked away until you are at your weakest

• RMweb Gold

Bet it didn't sound as good as this...

https://youtu.be/oO7kwhrwjQc?t=7m7s

Those appear to be two locomotives unknown to Polite Society. I would speculate that they belong to the railway that is mooted to exist in the cold, Northern districts known to some as the 'LNER'. Only six coaches and they need two of their Locomotive Engines to haul them. A Jinty could take three times that load over Masbury with just a shovelful of dust in the back corners.

• RMweb Gold

Those appear to be two locomotives unknown to Polite Society. I would speculate that they belong to the railway that is mooted to exist in the cold, Northern districts known to some as the 'LNER'. Only six coaches and they need two of their Locomotive Engines to haul them. A Jinty could take three times that load over Masbury with just a shovelful of dust in the back corners.

We know how much you like your J72, we'll take it off you...