A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

All 3 of my Hattons models will be getting High Level chassis. Getting really fed up with rubbish chassis from all the current firms. Great detail but the gubbins to make them work are crap. The USA European modellers dont accept this rubbish. Why should we?

I would strongly advise ensuring that you are happy with the dismantling of the body, ie. separating the cab and side tanks from the footplate, which will be necessary if you are to get any kind of sensible drive arrangement in there. In separating the two parts of the body, you will unfortunately be creating more work for yourself, as you will need to re-assemble the otherwise lovely conduit arrangements, that are attached to both parts.

For us post 1968 steam types, our formative steam experiences were with manors. The SVR usually has one of Hinton or Erlstoke in steam when I went as a child. Perhaps had Tyseley brought that Grange, my view would be different.

No matter ones age, the formative years came early on.  Mine was fixated on the Granges, the Manors looked too much the same and didn't really register.   Luckily I was privy to some of the Great Westerns early locos still around in the 'forties so Saints, Stars and Bulldogs, etc, were duly recorded as well as a plethora of early tank engines, now long gone.  It would be interesting to backdate a Pannier, of which there are a couple to spare (the LT one especially) into the original Saddle configuration (half cab even?).  At least, it would be something different now that Saints and Counties are coming along from the same era and before it is forgotten; The Great Bear back from a Castle.  If the LNE 2-8-2 can be done, why not?  Both weren't so hot, but with todays reengineering, as with the 2-8-2, the future looks more promising. 

Add to the wish list! :locomotive:

Brian.

• Like 2

I thought Wilton was more famous for its carpets. That reminds me, I must put some etched plates on mine one day ...

... btw you should be carpeted for that comment! :no:

I wouldn't put an etched plate in the middle of your carpet!

I took my grandson to HMS Victory in the summer and we nearly tripped over an etched plate in the middle of the deck! "Nelson fell here" - "I'm not surprised grandad!"

I voted for the Bulldog, Saint and Aberdare classes (and Toplight coaches). Personally, I've never seen the appeal of Manors.

I voted the same way.  The reason I haven't voted for the Manor is firstly they are too late for our model of Hungerford and secondly it has been produced commercially previously whereas these others have not.  I'd have a couple of Bulldogs if they ever came to fruition. I have a Dukedog but here again this is too modern to exhibit on Hungerford.

Fingers crossed.

Frank

• Like 2

I would strongly advise ensuring that you are happy with the dismantling of the body, ie. separating the cab and side tanks from the footplate, which will be necessary if you are to get any kind of sensible drive arrangement in there. In separating the two parts of the body, you will unfortunately be creating more work for yourself, as you will need to re-assemble the otherwise lovely conduit arrangements, that are attached to both parts.

I would rather have the extra work than put up with chassis that aren't fit for purpose. Of the 20 odd ready to run locos ive purchased in the last couple of years, I'd say 12 of them are going to need new chassis. As a new returnee to the hobby, I'm frankly disgusted with the mechanical aspects of modern ready to run.

• RMweb Gold

I would rather have the extra work than put up with chassis that aren't fit for purpose.

I can only agree wholeheartedly with you. 

The one thing I remember on any exhibition layout is how well the locos run. No matter how pretty or scenically commendable, if the trains don't run smoothly and realistically, I find it a bit of a turn-off. It's the same with my own stuff, getting a loco that runs really smoothly is just very satisfying, all the more so if it's a chassis that I've built myself.

Of the 20 odd ready to run locos ive purchased in the last couple of years, I'd say 12 of them are going to need new chassis.

Sadly, I'd agree that that's a fair ratio of purchases to good runners and mirrors my own experience.

As a new returnee to the hobby, I'm frankly disgusted with the mechanical aspects of modern ready to run.

In fairness, they are not all the same. There is a particular issue with some of these DJ Models mechanisms, where the coupled wheelbase of a steam loco is effectively built as a 'motor bogie', with drive on all wheels, the coupling rods being cosmetic only and (in the case of the 14XX) a very small (coreless) motor.

I'm only persevering with the Hattons/DJM 14XX because the bodywork is sublime and far, far better than anything else available.

I've found that Bachmann RTR steam locos can be a bit of a lottery as regards running qualities, whereas Hornby are, perhaps, a tad better in terms of the chances of getting a good runner first time.

Of the two Hattons Barclays I bought (neither are DJM), one ran pretty well straight from the box but the other had a bad 'limp' and had to go back, the replacement was fine.

The Hattons 'P' is a good, smooth runner straight from the box and a bit of running will only improve it further.

The best RTR steam loco I've ever bought for running qualities 'straight out of the box', however, is the recent Dapol B4.

Edited by Captain Kernow

I can only agree wholeheartedly with you. 

The one thing I remember on any exhibition layout is how well the locos run. No matter how pretty or scenically commendable, if the trains don't run smoothly and realistically, I find it a bit of a turn-off. It's the same with my own stuff, getting a loco that runs really smoothly is just very satisfying, all the more so if it's a chassis that I've built myself.

Sadly, I'd agree that that's a fair ratio of purchases to good runners and mirrors my own experience.

In fairness, they are not all the same. There is a particular issue with some of these DJ Models mechanisms, where the coupled wheelbase of a steam loco is effectively built as a 'motor bogie', with drive on all wheels, the coupling rods being cosmetic only and (in the case of the 14XX) a very small (coreless) motor.

I'm only persevering with the Hattons/DJM 14XX because the bodywork is sublime and far, far better than anything else available.

I've found that Bachmann RTR steam locos can be a bit of a lottery as regards running qualities, whereas Hornby are, perhaps, a tad better in terms of the chances of getting a good runner first time.

Of the two Hattons Barclays I bought (neither are DJM), one ran pretty well straight from the box but the other had a bad 'limp' and had to go back, the replacement was fine.

The Hattons 'P' is a good, smooth runner straight from the box and a bit of running will only improve it further.

The best RTR steam loco I've ever bought for running qualities 'straight out of the box', however, is the recent Dapol B4.

Of those 12, 3 are hattons Collett tanks, 3 Hornby N15, one S15, 2 Hornby grange,Bachmann N and 2 Hornby T9s.

I would rather have the extra work than put up with chassis that aren't fit for purpose. Of the 20 odd ready to run locos ive purchased in the last couple of years, I'd say 12 of them are going to need new chassis. As a new returnee to the hobby, I'm frankly disgusted with the mechanical aspects of modern ready to run.

What is your initial reaction to those that AFFP?  Is it annoyance or do you look upon the extra work as a fun filled project to look forward to..  I ask simply because over the years I have put up with engines that would probably fit your description and put up with them as it would be beyond my expertise to do much about it! :lazy:   I'm what you might call a box runner - out of the box onto the track!

Brian

• RMweb Gold

off hand I couldn't tell you. Boxes are in the loft. Will have a look over the weekend. Fortunately I have no problem with building chassis, but makes for very expensive locos.

There are known issues with all of them, but they tend to be related to certain batches - that's why I wanted to know the R numbers, as most of the solutions are far cheaper than building a new chassis ;)

There are known issues with all of them, but they tend to be related to certain batches - that's why I wanted to know the R numbers, as most of the solutions are far cheaper than building a new chassis ;)

to be honest, I'm inclined to replace them on all my RTR locos. Even the ones that run well for now. Alongside my kit and scratchbuilt models, they just don't cut the mustard for me. Valve gear tends to look a bit thin, some have a tendency to wobble and most crucially, they won't pull the skin off a rice pudding LOL. A lot of my coaches are from the likes of BSL AND ate pretty heavy.

What is your initial reaction to those that AFFP?  Is it annoyance or do you look upon the extra work as a fun filled project to look forward to..  I ask simply because over the years I have put up with engines that would probably fit your description and put up with them as it would be beyond my expertise to do much about it! :lazy:   I'm what you might call a box runner - out of the box onto the track!

Brian

I guess it is a combination of both. Annoyance at the mechanical quality but I have always been a kit and scratch builder so will enjoy making new chassis. I have been out of the hobby for a while and was blown away with the apparent quality of RTR. The detail and finishing is awesome, but to me they are let down by the running. In future, I'll be more selective and only buy if i can test them straight away. My fault entirely. These were bought and put on display. It's only now that it's too late to return them, that the faults have become apparent.

• RMweb Gold

The Captain seeks approval for his new wellies ,whilst two of this threads inmates are let out in the Cotswolds,more anon.

post-126-0-01286100-1540054609_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-04041500-1540054781_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

It’s a shame I didn’t video, the driver blew the whistle seconds later and she must have jumped 6 foot in the air

I did come home with a Parkside Beetle from the shop, so have something to work on tonight (as if I don’t have a big enough kit stash)

• RMweb Gold

Busy day in the locomotive works...

She tried, but she didn't quite fit in the LCM..

post-7000-0-85165100-1540058609_thumb.jpg

The Sherman did however - be on the look out for another blog entry..

post-7000-0-38298600-1540058717_thumb.jpg

Some corrective surgery required on this 42xx (my Harrier's thought it had a ski-jump at the front)

post-7000-0-48836600-1540058859_thumb.jpg

And nice of Hornby to provide the part drilled holes in the right place for this...

post-7000-0-78598900-1540058933_thumb.jpg

Yes, your eyes aren't deceiving you - they be Castle Steam Pipes!!

• Like 7

Being rather displeased with the carpet designs in the First Class of a Vomiter the good Captain decided to take a new approach in designing a new pattern 

post-20303-0-23917400-1540063220_thumb.jpg

Some unusual materials were employed and in true Blue Peter fashion he resorted to what was at hand, or should that be foot ?

The resultant design underneath the test piece of flooring left some of the invited audience to ask the question - "But is it Art d'harling ?''

post-20303-0-70385900-1540063254_thumb.jpg

(Credit where it is due)

Wellie certainly made a stirling effort / mess but marks will be awarded once the new attire is invited to cast their opinion.

post-20303-0-20941500-1540063317_thumb.jpg

Fun.... YES

Frivolity... MOST DEFINATELY

Would I do something similar again ? .....Oh! YES !!!

G

• Like 5