A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Would it have gone that way or via Okehampton (serious question)?

I suspect it might have gone via Plymouth as the potential for pick up was greater, however the Okehampton route would have been less challenging gradient wise and there would have been no need to reverse at NA? I would also think that a load of Kernows came over the river from Calstock area as they didn't get out that much in those days poor souls! Great fun looking at these trains. There is a site somewhere that notes details of specials and I can never remember the name Is it Six bells or something? However I suspect that is enthusiast specials and these trains would only appear in local WTTs ?

I know there was a North Road to Goodrington service around 1962/3/4 and that often had a big Tank on it as I actually travelled on it once and I think I also returned the same day on the same service but can't actually remember. Sad!

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I suspect it might have gone via Plymouth as the potential for pick up was greater, however the Okehampton route would have been less challenging gradient wise and there would have been no need to reverse at NA? I would also think that a load of Kernows came over the river from Calstock area as they didn't get out that much in those days poor souls! Great fun looking at these trains. There is a site somewhere that notes details of specials and I can never remember the name Is it Six bells or something? However I suspect that is enthusiast specials and these trains would only appear in local WTTs ?

I know there was a North Road to Goodrington service around 1962/3/4 and that often had a big Tank on it as I actually travelled on it once and I think I also returned the same day on the same service but can't actually remember. Sad!

P

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/trf/trfindex.htm

Martin

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Would it have gone that way or via Okehampton (serious question)?

Operationally, it's a no-brainer, it would run via Okehampton, with the ECS from Plymouth, so no R/R at Bere Alston or at Newton Abbot. I have a suspicion that I've seen a photo of one of these excursions in one of the colour photo books passing Starcross or similar.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have a suspicion that I've seen a photo of one of these excursions in one of the colour photo books passing Starcross or similar.

Cockwood Harbour as seen in the book Steam on the West Country mainline by Peter Gray.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

but again, thinking commercially why ECS? Why not market the excursion from Plymouth too?

Some guesses.

As a reward / inducement for taking your holiday in an area served by the ex-SR line exclusively.

Or, you can generate Plymouth - Bere Alston ticket revenue for the people from Plymouth travelling to Bere Alston for the excursion.

Edited by mdvle
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Well thanks to Colin Penfold of this parish and a heads up on the availability of a Hawksworth all third going for a price worth paying, £15 cheaper than Hatton's btw, we have another coach out of the TRW shop and ready for service. Castle class 5071 does the honours.

665999145_DSCN5091(2).JPG.23807a32e18cfc1a846600058ff20141.JPG1484656465_DSCN5092(2).JPG.afd5bd179cb5bf3de0a7b4c462064854.JPG238660013_DSCN5093(2).JPG.2acffa44d912cd5f18664549656b4e13.JPG96959849_DSCN5094(2).JPG.aaae12a4f0a72092ea604a8222214b13.JPG1550996843_DSCN5095(2).JPG.4a309134164aee79c8e1726ad7804d43.JPG

Now, that Castle has a  decent chimney (for a single chimney that is) ….and those coaches are almost as beautiful as the Maunsells, including the latest Hornby Dining First.

Edited by Mallard60022
To make a cheeky remark about the GWR.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

Robin,

What an excellent thread! I decided to start from the beginning, thread started in 2013, great! I love reading through old threads that are still current, but got to about page 18 and realised that they were still posts from 2013, Hmmm, I wonder how long this thread is, 1389 PAGES?! Jeez, heaps to catch up on then! I never thought i'd be drawn to GWR stuff, but then again maybe it's the time period!

The stock all looks excellent, and the photography, very atmospheric - I'm looking forward to the following 1371 pages!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but have you considered using a for of close coupling between the coaching stock?

Jack

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack P said:

Robin,

What an excellent thread! I decided to start from the beginning, thread started in 2013, great! I love reading through old threads that are still current, but got to about page 18 and realised that they were still posts from 2013, Hmmm, I wonder how long this thread is, 1389 PAGES?! Jeez, heaps to catch up on then! I never thought i'd be drawn to GWR stuff, but then again maybe it's the time period!

The stock all looks excellent, and the photography, very atmospheric - I'm looking forward to the following 1371 pages!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but have you considered using a for of close coupling between the coaching stock?

Jack

Careful Jack. Just remember 1963 west of Salisbury :heat::diablo_mini:.    However, having lived not far west of Brent in my 'formative' years, I have room in my liking things file for almost all things BRWR as may be seen sometime in the far future on SOSJ.

P

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Lovely Hawksworths... it might be worth experimenting with Kadees mid-rake.  I use them in conjunction with Bachmann close coupling mechs, and the combination keeps the corridor connectors nicely closed up.  

20190317_102737.jpg.205bd37b9abd4a0e01c73cc3e9060a3e.jpg.2f5ed68599eee4b1380d886e19d59056.jpg

Never thought I'd see Irish rolling stock on this thread.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, 81C said:

I hear Rob has the Hornby Coca Cola train already. :sarcastichand:

Is that a request Robert.:jester: It will be run in perfect harmony, it's the real thing.;)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Lovely Hawksworths... it might be worth experimenting with Kadees mid-rake.  I use them in conjunction with Bachmann close coupling mechs, and the combination keeps the corridor connectors nicely closed up.  

Most of my coaching stock rakes use either 19s or 20s.