A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I have , my friend has that photo and it is a goody. That friend has a suitable N and the required stock that he wants to loan out. He actually has three SR Maunsells (nicely weathered by another friend) as well, but not 1947.

Wiggly Wiggler.

DSCN3858_(2).JPG.7fa268034c915b6f16a9a204b56a0bbc.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Mallard60022 said:

He would have still been awake if that had been a Spam.

He doesn't like SPAM of any description mate ! :crazy_mini:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

DSCN3858_(2).JPG.7fa268034c915b6f16a9a204b56a0bbc.JPG

I shall tell my friend that the loco is not a problem. Shall I get the coaches sorted    I ask my friend if he needs to get the coaches sorted and which ones are required?

His Friend

• RMweb Premium

Ducky... Or Ducky's friend...

rps20190329_182920.jpg.c0a380d46fe4f1e6f2af1a5530f0e29f.jpg

The set I think you are discussing is 982.

Done some research. 982 was originally a 3 car set BSK, CK, BSK - not the usual Bulleid types but the early multidoor design. In 1962 it was increased to 8 coaches  with 4 SK and 1 CK being added to run presumably as BSK*, SK, SK, CK*, CK, SK, SK, BSK* (*original coaches). The extra coaches were apparently a mix of Bulleid and Maunsell types. Unlike sets 980, 981, 983 and 984 which were similarly strengthened I can't find all the coach allocations for 982 and the formation in the photo looks different to the theoretical one for the others.

1st coach: Bulleid D2122 6 compartment corridor brake third from set 982 which means it's either 2879 or 2880.

2nd coach: Bulleid D2317 8 compartment corridor composite from set 982 which means it should be 5728.

3rd coach: Bulleid D2318 7 compartment corridor composite with deep window vents but I can't find one allocated to 982. 

4th to 7th coaches are presumably the SKs and of the four I can find three that were in the set in June 1962. These are Maunsell D2001: 1829, 1834, and D2008: 1855. Can't find the 4th but it may be either Maunsell or Bulleid. 

8th coach: Bulleid D2122 6 compartment corridor brake third from set 982 which means it's either 2879 or 2880

I may have missed the missing coaches in the data sets I have but others please feel free to chime in. The photo date is June 1962 and therefore some coaches listed in Gould fall outside this period.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

WTF is it with all these odd looking green coaches and not a meat tin in sight,  PAH Sir Phiillipus Duckus needs to teach you the finer art of run that erm stuff. :biggrin_mini2:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Ducky... Or Ducky's friend...

rps20190329_182920.jpg.c0a380d46fe4f1e6f2af1a5530f0e29f.jpg

The set I think you are discussing is 982.

Done some research. 982 was originally a 3 car set BSK, CK, BSK - not the usual Bulleid types but the early multidoor design. In 1962 it was increased to 8 coaches  with 4 SK and 1 CK being added to run presumably as BSK*, SK, SK, CK*, CK, SK, SK, BSK* (*original coaches). The extra coaches were apparently a mix of Bulleid and Maunsell types. Unlike sets 980, 981, 983 and 984 which were similarly strengthened I can't find all the coach allocations for 982 and the formation in the photo looks different to the theoretical one for the others.

1st coach: Bulleid D2122 6 compartment corridor brake third from set 982 which means it's either 2879 or 2880.

2nd coach: Bulleid D2317 8 compartment corridor composite from set 982 which means it should be 5728.

3rd coach: Bulleid D2318 7 compartment corridor composite with deep window vents but I can't find one allocated to 982. 

4th to 7th coaches are presumably the SKs and of the four I can find three that were in the set in June 1962. These are Maunsell D2001: 1829, 1834, and D2008: 1855. Can't find the 4th but it may be either Maunsell or Bulleid. 

8th coach: Bulleid D2122 6 compartment corridor brake third from set 982 which means it's either 2879 or 2880

I may have missed the missing coaches in the data sets I have but others please feel free to chime in. The photo date is June 1962 and therefore some coaches listed in Gould fall outside this period.

Ohh you are awful but I do like your thorough investigation. Actually Spammers I was really talking about a 1957 version of a train similar to that with the Maunsells, as the above formation was  '62 as you kindly point out. I also hinted at a 1947 version using some SR Maunsells that I do believe were actually gifted to me by dear young BGManners. Rob seems to have an N that might suit.

However, I believe those multi-doors are supposed to be coming from Bachman in the future but I might be getting my Diagrams confused?

Great that we actually have a pic of the Beer Alston train but for 'my period' rather than Rob's. 

My 'excuse' for probably getting a 94XX is that the Exeter engine was required as an assisting loco to Yeovil on some train or another; maybe a WR diversion?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Hornby are doing some short Bulleid coaches due in the summer I think.

Oh right. Hornby doing the 59' Multi Doors then. Bachman retooling for an updated set of new 63' Bulleids maybe; can't remember. 

P

Not really a response to the topic, but when I click on the subject I get directed to the very beginning of the saga whereas I am looking for the last entry to reply to.  There's probably somewhere to alter this but I have no idea.  Help!

Brian.

15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Not really a response to the topic, but when I click on the subject I get directed to the very beginning of the saga whereas I am looking for the last entry to reply to.  There's probably somewhere to alter this but I have no idea.  Help!

Brian.

Click on the time clock and it will take you to that entry

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bgman said:

A Prairie rarely offends ......

IMG_0492.jpg.31cbdc40764de35a48912f3ea54db676.jpg

But after a long day on the South Devon today I think my grandson found it all a bit too much !

IMG_0490.jpg.574ad966cd7e6ea93f4424737e9016bf.jpg

His first PROPER steam locomotive experience and well worth it.

G

When you have had a bad day all you need is someone to bring on the photo of the cute kid.

Did he enjoy the day before he fell a sleep?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

Brian it does that to me in Internet Explorer but not in Chrome. What browser are you using?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Colin,  IE, and I'd like to keep it that way as my wife can understand how to use it,  and I must confess that we tried  Chrome once and was inundated with so many changes that we went back to IE.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Did he enjoy the day before he fell a sleep?

Hi Clive, thank you,

Most certainly, we both had an extremely enjoyable time. 

As soon as I pulled the strap on the compartment window to take in the atmosphere he wanted to put his head out ( safely I must add ) and take it all in. His little face was a real picture and made me remanis about my journeys as a young boy and gave me a very warm feeling inside.

The staff were to be praised too with their helpful attitude, which I hope will go some way to helping future generations in appreciating a day on this and other preserved lines.

One interesting note, in the museum at Buckfastleigh I noted a new addition donated yesterday by Nick Salzman ( one of our modelling group ).

He has given his layout named Yeoton, a fictitious West Country 3mm Broad Gauge scene to the SDR which now resides along with my friend Chris Lamacrafts layout of Ashburton as permanent additions.

For anyone in the area next weekend there will be a Gala celebrating the 50th Anniversary since the line re-opened and runs from the 6th-14th April.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Thanks Colin,  IE, and I'd like to keep it that way as my wife can understand how to use it,  and I must confess that we tried  Chrome once and was inundated with so many changes that we went back to IE.

Brian.

Hi Brian, I'm with you on that, but there are a few sites I use that don't work properly on ie now. I have kept ie as my default browser but do have a shortcut to chrome on my home screen which I use all the time for RM Web and if any sites fail to work i copy the address from ie and post it into the chrome. My main objection with chrome is that you can't import your bookmarks from ie.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, bgman said:

Hi Clive, thank you,

Most certainly, we both had an extremely enjoyable time. 

As soon as I pulled the strap on the compartment window to take in the atmosphere he wanted to put his head out ( safely I must add ) and take it all in. His little face was a real picture and made me remanis about my journeys as a young boy and gave me a very warm feeling inside.

The staff were to be praised too with their helpful attitude, which I hope will go some way to helping future generations in appreciating a day on this and other preserved lines.

One interesting note, in the museum at Buckfastleigh I noted a new addition donated yesterday by Nick Salzman ( one of our modelling group ).

He has given his layout named Yeoton, a fictitious West Country 3mm Broad Gauge scene to the SDR which now resides along with my friend Chris Lamacrafts layout of Ashburton as permanent additions.

For anyone in the area next weekend there will be a Gala celebrating the 50th Anniversary since the line re-opened and runs from the 6th-14th April.

My younger son similarly instinctively wanted to stick his head out of the window as soon as he could... (ditto safely)

IMG_2635.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

Brian, if you click on the subject title that's exactly what will happen. If you want to go to the very latest post click on the little clock or the speech bubble on the right. If you want to go to the first post you haven't read yet, click on the black circle (for posts that you haven't repleid to) or star (for posts that you have, like this one) just to the left of the subject title.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ohh you are awful but I do like your thorough investigation. Actually Spammers I was really talking about a 1957 version of a train similar to that with the Maunsells, as the above formation was  '62 as you kindly point out. I also hinted at a 1947 version using some SR Maunsells that I do believe were actually gifted to me by dear young BGManners. Rob seems to have an N that might suit.

However, I believe those multi-doors are supposed to be coming from Bachman in the future but I might be getting my Diagrams confused?

Great that we actually have a pic of the Beer Alston train but for 'my period' rather than Rob's. 

My 'excuse' for probably getting a 94XX is that the Exeter engine was required as an assisting loco to Yeovil on some train or another; maybe a WR diversion?

P

What Set info are you after then Ducky?

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

What Set info are you after then Ducky?

It isn't me that is looking AFAIK actually dear Spamalot. My friend was just speculating as to how Monsewer Bon Bon could produce a suitable representation of a Bere Alston River Cruise special that had to return to Plymuff via Brent due to an incident at Crediton (or similar event enabling Rule 1, but it has to be something for which we all have to agree is worth voting for before April 12th).

Many thanks for your investigations though as I can use your very useful information in other ways once the Hornybee, short arse 59ers come out of the Container. 

Enjoy your weekend

Mad Duck