A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've also noticed the latest NB A-1-A A-1-A 'Warship' on your thread. When were the real things actually introduced, if I may ask, please? Some sources quote 1958, but several pictures show D600 running in November 1957, when brand-new.

Regards,

Tony. 

My sources say they didn't officially enter service till January 1958 but one was handed over to BR in the previous month for trials in Scotland.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I take it the two carriages are Hornby's latest ex-GWR types? I've just reviewed the GWR 'shirtbutton' version for BRM. It looks a cracker, and formed of completely new tooling.

I look forward to reading your usual candid review style take on those coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, colin penfold said:

I heard that Alex Mcleish was seen the other day at Home Park trying to get the entire Argyle squad to sign up to play for Scotland. He reckons the funny accents and inhabiting a remote part of the UK should qualify them.

He's about to get fired though, and snapped up by Theresa May to lead the Brexit work - he can get any country out of Europe in just three matches

Three....? Surely only two - home and away.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely shots, Robin,

I assume it's a shunting move, otherwise where's the brake? 

I take it the two carriages are Hornby's latest ex-GWR types? I've just reviewed the GWR 'shirtbutton' version for BRM. It looks a cracker, and formed of completely new tooling.

I've also noticed the latest NB A-1-A A-1-A 'Warship' on your thread. When were the real things actually introduced, if I may ask, please? Some sources quote 1958, but several pictures show D600 running in November 1957, when brand-new.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

I tired to PM you last night regarding this question. D600 was delivered to BR 16/01/58, it entered service 24/01/58. All teh class was withdrawn 31/12/67. None even saw ten years service.

Having viewed the Kernow model, I am not sure the top of the nose is the right shape. It appears too rounded. From the windscreen going forwards the nose top slopes in a gentle curve until it meets the front. The Kernow one appears to be too tight a radius.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Robin,

I take it you're happy with the latest Hornby GWR carriages?

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes,very much so and such good value for money too. Looking forward to seeing what other liveries they do with them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks to my eldest daughter we, see two old ladies at Didcot today. Lady of Legend steams at last.

1095036719_IMG_21601798.jpg.debaf5d7df8c8b0c6fe0927dd0f733c6.jpg

Excellent!

CJ Freezers "Scrapbox" column in the July 1973 issue of Railway Modeller illustrated a Saint on a train out of Paddington and noted that the GWS hoped to rebuild "Maindy Hall" into a Saint, to restore this long-vanished yet pivotal class.

It may have taken some time but Hurrah! for perseverence.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Its amazing how long it takes from start to finish when newbuilding.  Some of those who initially got these locos back on the tracks, sadly may never see the results of their efforts:sorry_mini: while others much later, will be the fortunate ones.  I hope to see the 4-4-0 County!:angel:

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks to my eldest daughter we, see two old ladies at Didcot today. Lady of Legend steams at last.

Seeing the pictures of Lady of Legend is making me want a square framed Saint to go with my kit built St Dunstan 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Seeing the pictures of Lady of Legend is making me want a square framed Saint to go with my kit built St Dunstan

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Don't be greedy.

You can't have two Ladies!

• RMweb Gold

Busy in the works at the moment, a few more have been completed (even if two of them are quite elderly and from Beatties in Kingston :O)

4533_lhfan.jpg.09e5236346ef16f1951c2057be712d5b.jpg

5764_rhfan.jpg.c2b91bbb00f67b55d8fbfbb6ceb58491.jpg

7801_lhfan.jpg.9b8dd174f5d006e877383f93f09c9a59.jpg

There's more in the paintshop too and then things went a bit timey wimey wibbly wobbly and this is now waiting attention...

66799_lhb4W.jpg.4b612294814181ed997af4d77c3ebf25.jpg

I'm like where's the tender, the coupling rods, pistons & chimney? :jester:

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Busy in the works at the moment, a few more have been completed (even if two of them are quite elderly and from Beatties in Kingston :O)

Utterly fabulous.  That small prairie looks so good I could eat it.

John C.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, gwrrob said:

At the risk of additional comments, was she as good in the flesh now she's in steam ?

I plan to have a trip up to Diddycot on Easter Monday to see her, crackin' locomotive. 

G

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Utterly fabulous.  That small prairie looks so good I could eat it.

John C.

The small prairie rarely offends. Whether I could eat one is another matter.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, gwrrob said:

And to top this I've just found a vid... enjoy !

YEY !!!

( She'll be even nicer once the valves have been set. )

Edited by bgman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1