A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jack P said:

Ah that's a shame, they're really handsome vehicles! Thank you both anyway. I'll need to look at adding something else GWR to my parcels rake instead!

Ocean Mails would be lovely but unusual. However the Siphon Diagrams got all over the place …………..and they are easy to get hold of including a brand new Etched kit that would be a great experience to build.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ocean Mails would be lovely but unusual. However the Siphon Diagrams got all over the place …………..and they are easy to get hold of including a brand new Etched kit that would be a great experience to build.

P

Did the Ocean Mails resume post war?  I don’t recall seeing mention of the, or the super saloons in my carriage working documents or working timetables but I’m sure I have seen mention of them coming out of storage 

thanks for the Syphon reminder, must make sure that’s next in the build pile once I finish my A4

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about the Ocean Mails but surely the Super Saloons would have been used for V.I.Ps in our period. I hope so as they're on my wishlist.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Did the Ocean Mails resume post war?  I don’t recall seeing mention of the, or the super saloons in my carriage working documents or working timetables but I’m sure I have seen mention of them coming out of storage 

thanks for the Syphon reminder, must make sure that’s next in the build pile once I finish my A4

Jack, do you know of the new Kit ?

P

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

AFAIK, they existed until the fifties or sixties; the jets killed the boat trains off.  Before the war, being a bit of a film fan, my Mother used to take me down to Millbay Docks to see the tenders bring in the rich and famous. As I was a bit young at the time, I didn't know who they were but I have faint memory of the excursion!.  After the war, I made it on my own and remember seeing movie stars with their big American cars coming shore.  The boat train was headed usually by Castles and were piloted mainly by a Hall, but I couldn't remember what stock was used.  Too young for cameras then also but nice to have seen it all!

Brian.

PS  A lot of info in the RCTS publication, "Plymouths Railways in the Thirties"

Edited by brianusa
extras
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I don't know about the Ocean Mails but surely the Super Saloons would have been used for V.I.Ps in our period. I hope so as they're on my wishlist.

A significant feature of the geographical setting of Brent is that during the war and possibly for a short period after is that there was an American military concentration in the South Hams.Gen.Eisenhower’s HQ was in a house set back from Slapton Sands and of course there was that tragedy on that beach shortly before D day. So maybe a possible use of the stock in question ? Millbay and Plymouth were militarised but as far as normal transatlantic shipping was concerned it would have taken several years to normalise after 1945,there being a whole USA army and its equipment to repatriate using converted liners and Liberty ships.

I note Brian’s interesting contribution above but I imagine any passenger rail traffic to Millbay would have been confined to military personnel . I cannot recall that the Ocean Liner traffic lasted postwar in any significant amount and was not in evidence in the 1950’s &60’s .Southampton and Waterloo were for the Ocean Liner trains until the eventual coming of  suitable airliners in the form of Boeing 707’s . 

Maybe a pair of Small Prairies heading a troop train down the branch to Kingsbridge ?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I better do something prototypical about the coal shortages of '47 too, thanks to Norman Lockett and having no willpower in regards to temptation from @toboldlygo

881731140_DSCN5501(2).JPG.9da59b2bdeb68c404c2109b57a4f4a68.JPG

Yuk ! Dirty diesel !!! :crazy_mini:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

We'll have the L&NER on here next............

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Jack P said:

Rob, that looks fantastic! Is the tank 3D printed by chance? I humbly offer a picture of my own oil burning conversion, (prior to it being numbered).

41654605754_a0a74ed83a_b.jpg

Yes the tank was a 3D printed one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did they have oil burners too?

Apart from this one:

https://www.lner.info/locos/IC/kitson.php

"Just before Grouping in 1923, labour troubles in the coal industry led to five of the B2s (all except No. 425) to be fitted with oil-burning equipment in May and June 1921. All were converted back to coal burning within 6 months, but the oil-burning equipment was refitted in August 1926 to be removed again in March 1927. "

A. N. Ar$£

• Informative/Useful 3