A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've learned something today. I never knew any of the GWR 2-8-0s were numbered in the 48XX series. Was this anything to do with oil-firing?

Thanks Tony. Yes and it was very short lived. Coal firing was restored in '48 and by this time the lovely little 0-4-2 Tanks had been renumbered to the 14xx from their original 48xx series. The 2-8-0s reverted back to the 28xx's and 2884 series.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Just need to put in a order to Coopercraft. Oh, wait...

Or take a mortgage out and get an Ian Kirk kit off ebay.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Tony. Yes and it was very short lived. Coal firing was restored in '48 and by this time the lovely little 0-4-2 Tanks had been renumbered to the 14xx from their original 48xx series. The 2-8-0s reverted back to the 28xx's and 2884 series.

Worth noting that the loco's retained the cab roof vents and their cab-side handrails in their lowered position after they were converted back.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Reference my post concerning the twin distants on the up and down main and the branch, Keith Ettle sent me an 1896 signal box diagram which indicates each inner distant and its home are worked from the same lever. In effect, the inner distants are repeaters.

Apologies, all covered by Stationmaster Mike's fullsome reply on page 1415 (which I had missed).

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

4855 is certainly a much better runner than my other 2884 class 3864. Here we see her approaching Tigley Junction. She runs as good as she looks.

1587976792_DSCN5540(2).JPG.76c737931b83bfd5f15300abe0f0dbce.JPG

That's because it is well oiled...……………...boom, boom!

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Have you guys seen the Dapol Auto 14XX on the Gauge posting from the event at Doncaster?

Negative, Caller, but I will try to have a look.

Edited by Captain Kernow
The Conceptualisation of Aesthetic Idealism in an Augmented Context.
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Have you guys seen the Dapol Auto 14XX on the Gauge posting from the event at Doncaster?

Looks very tasty indeed for a 7mm item.

P

Could look good on a night time layout running amok through the streets of a miniature Woodstock !

T.Itfield

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Went for a bit of a wander yesterday (ended up walking 20 miles). Partook in an ice cream at the local preserved railway. They had something green and tanky, with polished bits. Thought you might enjoy this action shot of it running past spoiling my view...

rps20190602_102912.jpg.81d3d30c08bb2b1f76068147d19a295d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting juxtaposition of the platform height to the relative and corresponding visible elements of the locomotive.

Informative and highly useful observations, well done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Interesting juxtaposition of the platform height to the relative and corresponding visible elements of the locomotive.

You are Captain Kernow and I claim my £5

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

I think the composition of the pictures are excellent, the perspective of the slabs disappearing into the distance and light reflecting of the train rivets is well thought out.

The slight feeling of not being in control of the camera comes over very positively and one can only surmise what the next sequence of pictures would be.

Edited by KNP
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You'll also note how many of the newer slab have sunk. Some by over 1" in places. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

I think the composition of the pictures are excellent, the perspective of the slabs disappearing into the distance and light reflecting of the train rivets is well though out.

The slight feeling of not being in control of the camera comes over very positively and one can only surmise what the next sequence of pictures would be.

Please don't encourage him Kevin ! :crazy_mini:

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1