A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Most people seem to!   There's something worrisome following a caravan being towed at freeway speeds wriggling behind the  towing vehicle which may sometimes appear too small for the job.:O

Worst part is; later when you come upon an overturned caravan or recreational vehicle on its side and split open.  Hopefully all were in the towing vehicle unless that too succumbed!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Anyone coming to Devon this weekend, watch out for the usual spectacle of sheds on wheels clogging up the roads.

I don't need to go to Devon, just park me car on the front lawn and sit there watching them go by. Even the farmers driving their tractor while busy doing the harvest shout "Haven't you got Devon to go on holiday to."

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I share Jeremy Clarkson’s view on caravans on the roads.

I very rarely dislike TV presenters but Clarkson is on my *hitlist even though I agree with him about wannabe diddicoys towing their sheds.

My maternal grandmother was of Roma ancestry and always referred to travellers as diddicoys.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I very rarely dislike TV presenters but Clarkson is on my *hitlist even though I agree with him about wannabe diddicoys towing their sheds.

My maternal grandmother was of Roma ancestry and always referred to travellers as diddicoys.

My late father-in-law used the same word - and called their horses 'diddy donkeys'.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Quite possibly  the barrier vehicle and the Toad could disappear as well as half of Brent, if the worst happened!:O

Brian.

And the Pack Horse Inn?! :O

Edited by 46444
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, pb_devon said:

I have seen a similar thing but the people were not so lucky. The caravan spun the car 180 degrees straight into the car that was over taking them in the fast lane. The poor driver of the other car.

I use to ride a small motor bike along the A12 , top speed 55mph. The lorry drivers would always give me a wide berth, once past me I would flash my headlight and the would then pull in, normally flashing their 4 way indicators. Caravan towers would pass me in their car, at quite a safe distance away, then pull in forgetting the caravan was behind them and was wider than the car. Many times I would be testing my bikes cross country abilities as I was driven off the road.

Have you noticed 99 times out of 100 it is the hubby who is driving with that contented "I am on my holiday" look. She is sat next to him looking quite submissive. When they arrive he is boasting to the other blokes about how he likes the freedom of the open road as she is busy cooking his tea. The only time he does the cooking is when it is BBQ night, only men can cook with real fire.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 23/08/2019 at 20:50, Captain Kernow said:

Anyone coming to Devon this weekend, watch out for the usual spectacle of sheds on wheels clogging up the roads.

We observed a clogged M5 as we headed back north yesterday.

A successful stop on the West Somerset Railway.  7F one way and their converted ex-prairie mogul the other way.  Boys allowed onto footplate at Minehead - Edward expressed desire to be driver.  Stephen thought it a bit hot.

What’s the considered view on the mogul given it’s origins?  I liked it but on the gradients made me wonder how the prairies coped on Old Hill bank with commuter trains.  Were they banked?  I remember how much better the sprinters coped relative to the DMUs they replaced.

As this thread likes some mogul action, see attached.  Not filthy mind!

David

7BC60611-ABBE-4671-8228-483BC7B202AB.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

We observed a clogged M5 as we headed back north yesterday.

A successful stop on the West Somerset Railway.  7F one way and their converted ex-prairie mogul the other way.  Boys allowed onto footplate at Minehead - Edward expressed desire to be driver.  Stephen thought it a bit hot.

What’s the considered view on the mogul given it’s origins?  I liked it but on the gradients made me wonder how the prairies coped on Old Hill bank with commuter trains.  Were they banked?  I remember how much better the sprinters coped relative to the DMUs they replaced.

As this thread likes some mogul action, see attached.  Not filthy mind!

David

7BC60611-ABBE-4671-8228-483BC7B202AB.jpeg

I could never understand why the GWR didn't build a number 2 boilered mogul but carried on using small wheeled number 2 boilered outside framed 4-4-0, as I can't be bothered to look in my books, they were the Bulldogs? Then why did they reboiler them with old boilers to make the Dukedogs?

And why did they build the 2251 class when a small wheeled mogul with either a number 4 or number 2 boiler would have been more modern and used standard parts?

But what would I know being a diesel modeller from the right side of the country.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think there should be a barrier wagon between the GPVs and the toad, unless it's empty. I stand to be corrected by an expert.

I could always add one between photos and hope no one notices.:P320303759_DSCN5858(2).JPG.6146bd8b64fc0f8c4bf191f35094afed.JPG

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A beautiful sunny day in the South Hams and you probably weren't expecting to see Battle of Britain class 21C149 Anti Aircraft Command on a down express.

Please God let me have the coaches in the right order.:read:

1874433049_DSCN5840(2).JPG.88b97f0e31dc613698436552e071fda1.JPGDSCN5841_(2).JPG.86c974f121578c4337512fa3f196a71e.JPG55654945_DSCN5842(2).JPG.ad45c21fe358deea657c8979194a3472.JPG887443789_DSCN5843(2).JPG.2ac58b7ccb4476886480fe7b40f83a42.JPG1493256486_DSCN5844(2).JPG.beab7ef26e961d30a846a7ec22280261.JPG

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

What’s the considered view on the mogul given it’s origins?  I liked it but on the gradients made me wonder how the prairies coped on Old Hill bank with commuter trains.  Were they banked?

Dunno about Old Hill bank, but the Prairies were (just) into the red engine zone, whereas the Moguls were at the upper end of the blue zone. Not much in it, actually, but maybe the Prairies had the edge in terms of tractive grip at the rail. Moguls pay the penalty also of having to haul a tender around (typically 1.5 carriages worth), but of course have the advantage of a far greater coal and water capacity. Horses for courses, I guess.

I like 9351. Its parallel chimney gives it a bit of class.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2019 at 20:50, Captain Kernow said:

And it surely doesn’t take much to clog a Devon lane.None were constructed for motorised vehicles.

Regrettably the West Country needs what is called by some the “Tourist Economy “ .Maybe The citizens of Devon and Cornwall should demand a Western Powerhouse similar to our Northern friends ,massive multi million pound “infrastructure “ development.Oh,wait a bit though forgot this is the UK and it’s not our thing,is it?.

No HS line under Dartmoor then...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Then why did they reboiler them with old boilers to make the Dukedogs?

Barmouth Bridge. The Dukes's chassis were knackered, and the Dog's boilers were considered too heavy. There's also a complex financial/political angle involving what was considered 'new build' and what was considered 'rebuild'. Government money was available for one, but not the other...

I think there was a Hawksworth proposal for an outside-cylindered lightweight Mogul. (It was ugly, and thankfully didn't get built.)

• Like 2