A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

You are indeed correct about the BCKs. The ACE, for example, was full of them off-peak when it ran as a single multi-portioned train. However, as Olddudders said above, when longer coach sets were used, singly or in multiple, they were formed with the brake coaches (4 or 6 compartment BTKs) and their brake van areas outermost.

Thankyou, Andrew, for usefully enlarging on my words. By “fixed set” the Southern meant a group of coaches formed together ex-works which might stay in that same formation for literally decades. Other vehicles were referred to as “loose” and the BCKs were largely in that group. For example, in1926 Southern built 10 BCKs, numbered 6565 - 6574, specifically for the branches off the WoE route, as said above, enabling two-class travel from Waterloo to each destination. Hornby has modelled 3 of those, 6571/2/4 in olive, and for pre-war modellers they are a boon. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

For those interested, I'm running a three coach set number 239. The leading coach was added extra and is a brake composite 6592. The set comprises of 2802, 5688 and 2803.

• RMweb Gold

Run 239 with the brakes outwards, CK in between and add the BCK on the back. That is authentic. Someone smarter than me will tell you which way round the CK should be formed, i.e first class end towards which BTK, but unless we can read coach numbers, it is immaterial!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Spot on Dudders.

I’m just wondering, if the set was reversed at Plymouth would it be the other way round going back over Tavistock/Okehampton and thus to Waterloo? (Centre of the Universe)

Rich

I am not very Plymouth savvy, but if it went via North Road, no! If it went via Friary, yes, I think. It would almost certainly attach at some point. Maybe Plymouth, if not then Okehampton, picking up Padstow and Bude coaches. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Run 239 with the brakes outwards, CK in between and add the BCK on the back. That is authentic. Someone smarter than me will tell you which way round the CK should be formed, i.e first class end towards which BTK, but unless we can read coach numbers, it is immaterial!

In modern times, as Ian will recall, first class was usually at the London end so that the poor rich folk didn't have to walk too far.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Always happy to take on board the knowledge and experience of long time followers of this thread. So I've moved the brake compo to the rear, added a correct SR tail lamp from Springside and taken so fresh shots. Hopefully better and Bob is my Aunt's live in lover.

1711011116_DSCN5865(2).JPG.0f71f4533709e8b0b0827ce44f80f1af.JPG

Where's the set number?

• Funny 2

17 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Where's the set number?

Stop badger-ing him ! 

Its all in black and white three tree stumps to the left. :derisive:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Always happy to take on board the knowledge and experience of long time followers of this thread. So I've moved the brake compo to the rear, added a correct SR tail lamp from Springside and taken some fresh shots. Hopefully better and Bob is my Aunt's live in lover.

1711011116_DSCN5865(2).JPG.0f71f4533709e8b0b0827ce44f80f1af.JPG139086780_DSCN5866(2).JPG.bdb38a3c2eb7dd1138d7964b78d00cc9.JPG1385339969_DSCN5867(2).JPG.f59e8b040a8374e8a1f20ca8043b71fc.JPG307471033_DSCN5868(2).JPG.1f339716c89c91d0318aea7081eea11e.JPG

Perfick!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Inspired by @46444 of this parish I've only gone and ordered my first ever Cambrian kit.:o Might have to get some Dave Franks buffers for it to add some much needed weight.

Lovely - nice lettering and weathering.   I'm working my way through a stash of Cambrian kits right now, and have been adding weight with the self-adhesive lead strip from Eileen's, stuck under the floor, or sometimes just a couple of pieces of lead sheet from same source.  But new buffers are probably a good idea anyway - those 3-part plastic buffers in the kits are a bit of a masochistic exercise, and I've lost a few collars that pinged off my tweezers across the loft, never to be seen again.  (That explains why I have one SR open wagon with at least one GWR buffer!)  

John C.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

My old quality manager once told me there was no such thing.

Was the person concerned:

- a good manager (ie. a manager with good personal qualities)

or

- a person who was responsible for managing the commodity of quality

or

- a good manager (with good personal qualities) who was coincidentally responsible for managing the commodity of quality

or

- all of the above

or

- none of the above

• Like 2