A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

There ought to be a couple of siphons attached to that train.

There is but you just can’t see them yet in the photos.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/08/2019 at 10:52, gwrrob said:

How did you do the weathering on that please Chris.

Hi Rob, I painted that Starfish four years ago and unfortunately can't remember the details. I brush paint Humbrol enamels (or Pheonix for railway colours) well thinned to avoid brush marks, several thin coats being preferable to one thick one.

By the looks of it I painted that one all over brick red first, then added gloss black panels where the ModelMaster transfers were to go and in places that hadn't rusted. Then it looks like I stippled on the other colours using a knackered brush (or it would have been by the time I'd finished!). I can see rust, leather, dark earth, mid stone, desert yellow and chocolate at least, possibly with a smidge of mid green. The colours would be well thinned and built up over several days with lots of drying time in between. I try to paint wagons in batches so I'm not tempted to rush individual wagons. Painting always takes 2 -3 times as long as building the thing.

Once finished I'd apply the transfers and protect them with two or three coats of Klear, then weather them with watercolours. Using watercolours if I don't like the result I can just wipe it off and try again.

Wherever possible I work from a photo of the wagon, or at least a similar one. I have many (can't have too many) wagon books for reference and nowadays the web will always turn up something. As DB987002 was built by BR in 1949 it should only be 9 - 10 years old so I may have overdone the rust a little!

Here's the other side ...

1420793472_DB987002(2)DSCN0881.jpg.8f4789f61319133bb95104a2a658d88d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, SR Chris said:

Hi Rob, I painted that Starfish four years ago and unfortunately can't remember the details. I brush paint Humbrol enamels (or Pheonix for railway colours) well thinned to avoid brush marks, several thin coats being preferable to one thick one.

By the looks of it I painted that one all over brick red first, then added gloss black panels where the ModelMaster transfers were to go and in places that hadn't rusted. Then it looks like I stippled on the other colours using a knackered brush (or it would have been by the time I'd finished!). I can see rust, leather, dark earth, mid stone, desert yellow and chocolate at least, possibly with a smidge of mid green. The colours would be well thinned and built up over several days with lots of drying time in between. I try to paint wagons in batches so I'm not tempted to rush individual wagons. Painting always takes 2 -3 times as long as building the thing.

Once finished I'd apply the transfers and protect them with two or three coats of Klear, then weather them with watercolours. Using watercolours if I don't like the result I can just wipe it off and try again.

Wherever possible I work from a photo of the wagon, or at least a similar one. I have many (can't have too many) wagon books for reference and nowadays the web will always turn up something. As DB987002 was built by BR in 1949 it should only be 9 - 10 years old so I may have overdone the rust a little!

Here's the other side ...

1420793472_DB987002(2)DSCN0881.jpg.8f4789f61319133bb95104a2a658d88d.jpg

Hi Chris

It wasn't until I looked at the track that I realised it was a model.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't supposed to be going to Telford and indeed, I didn't go, having other items to attend to, but it would still have been nice to go, had this somehow have been possible. A friend of mine was supposed to be going. I also wasn't supposed to be meeting Spams, either at Telford or elsewhere, not that I wouldn't want to bump into the fellow on a dark (or well-illuminated) night, whether down some dark alley or on a broad, neon-lit High Street, but either way, it wasn't to be and I'll just have to wait for another occasion for that pint I'm sure he's keen to purchase for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

and it seems like a lifetime since anyone posted on here

I can only apologise as I've been riding in a forest and stopped for a cup of tea.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4