A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, A Murphy said:

Re: Wishlist Poll:

Saints and Bulldogs, Saints and Bulldogs.......

I'm building a SE Finecast Saint at the moment so hoping this will prompt a reaction from red or blue team.

Alastair M

A brass chassis for my Wills build is next on my to do list, all be it probably not until the new year 

it won’t be long until a new one arrives in that case

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been raining in Brent most of the day and the boutique hotel and tea shoppe had it's doors closed as CTMK and I drove past earlier, whether because it's closed again or to keep the boutique cakes dry, I neither know nor care.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Re. the wish list poll, did anyone else fill the question on a remake of a model released since 2005. I voted for the 47xx.:read: Otherwise it was the usual subjects voted for from me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

The mojo killer is finally complete..,

If that's your work with no mojo I look forward to seeing the results when it does return.:P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Re. the wish list poll, did anyone else fill the question on a remake of a model released since 2005. I voted for the 47xx.:read: Otherwise it was the usual subjects voted for from me.

Bulleid Leader every year and I may of voted for the Fell...

• Funny 2

I seem to be doing more ex-GWR than anything else at the moment...(quiet in the cheap seats!!).

GW_Wagons_001.JPG.6c51ee8cc404f7321da45e4f0f2b5c13.JPG

Two ancient Ratio 'Open C', bought as spares or repair, and finished in BR grey, lettered for Tube traffic.

GW_Wagons_005.JPG.42fb5f3c33219cfd5e137f80eaa94009.JPG

GW_Wagons_004.JPG.cfe43f7155e41a176353b02c6cd45d21.JPG

The Cambrian N30 loco coal wagon, a delightful kit that practically falls together. Off to do the 'Wishlist Poll' now!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 45568 said:

I seem to be doing more ex-GWR than anything else at the moment...(quiet in the cheap seats!!).

Very nice, Peter, but why do you have a modern steel open box wagon in your garden in the background?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very nice, Peter, but why do you have a modern steel open box wagon in your garden in the background?

That is the 'nasty' garden shed, therein lie the instruments of oppression and suffering, mower, hedge trimmer, chain saw and other unspeakable elements of slavery.

However, if I were to turn through 180  degrees, there is the 'nice' shed, filled with items of joy, artistic and engineering endeavour, (and buls*it pills!!!).

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 45568 said:

The Cambrian N30 loco coal wagon, a delightful kit that practically falls together. Off to do the 'Wishlist Poll' now!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Beautiful work Peter. Did these N30 loco coal wagons run in normal freight trains ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's an Aussie Class 66 Cap'n; you might not have known that.

Arse.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Inspired again by a photo, this time of the warwell wagon, an impulse buy was made from Hatton's. These came out a couple of years back and I had one of @Trains&armour running on here from the first batch. This is from the second run and like my warflat just crying out for the weathering of that deck.

1672929744_warwellpostwar.jpg.aa6a409222874c4d14a8af3937d97d57.jpg1437646561_DSCN6021(2).JPG.df63d8b3f5fb4fb72f310ae823eb7bfd.JPG

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 45568 said:

GW_Wagons_001.JPG.6c51ee8cc404f7321da45e4f0f2b5c13.JPG

Two ancient Ratio 'Open C', bought as spares or repair, and finished in BR grey, lettered for Tube traffic.

GW_Wagons_005.JPG.42fb5f3c33219cfd5e137f80eaa94009.JPG

GW_Wagons_004.JPG.cfe43f7155e41a176353b02c6cd45d21.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I've built one and they do fall together (as long as you follow the instructions)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

And there goes the neighbourhood.

Blimey they'll pinch anything these days, must have been a big van ! 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Beautiful work Peter. Did these N30 loco coal wagons run in normal freight trains ?

As far as I know Rob. The notes with the kit state that 'the amount of coal carried was enough for two or three days use by a branch line engine'. I would imagine they would be worked back to the preferred supply colliery by the quickest means possible, rather than be collected and worked as a specific train. I have memories of the early 1960s around the Notts. coalfield of various loco coal wagons mixed in with other coal wagons working to and from various collieries, (e.g. Blidworth, which was where my paternal grandma lived).

The 'Acquired wagons of British Railways' vol. 2 has several pix of these wagons stored full in rural sidings near major centres as 'emergency stock supply'.

Other more knowledgable souls might cast more light on specific GW and BR W workings?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 45568 said:

As far as I know Rob. The notes with the kit state that 'the amount of coal carried was enough for two or three days use by a branch line engine'. I would imagine they would be worked back to the preferred supply colliery by the quickest means possible, rather than be collected and worked as a specific train.

I made the same inference as 45568 from the kit notes in my own recent build of this nice kit.  Here it is, returning empty in the branch goods after feeding the Earlsbridge branch 45xx for a couple of days.

1995143813_Lococoalwagon.jpg.9249d029741c5c75b2e1bebaa8c317ae.jpg

John C.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice jobbie on those there wagons I must say. 

A tweaked private owner or two is on my list.

R

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks  very good Rob, what a difference it makes.  I always struggle to find that sweet spot (cue nudge nudge) between too much and too little weathering.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1