A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Decent BR version County please and also, take no notice of the 'Polls' and do me a beaut SR W.

Merci 

You just stole my script.Why does no one seem to take up the cause ? Possibly because it was considered to be an ugly beast by some,especially in its double chimney version which is when it did its finest work.No fifties/ early sixties WR layout is complete without a County,yet all we currently have is Hornby’s current offering which IMHO (And I saw ALL of them) is not fit for purpose..Someone...please.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

A cute little Hudswell Clarke steam loco, please, Robin and that nice Mr Kohler.

Please also tell him that all these current industrials are so very much appreciated.

Thank you.

The new Ruston in the Army livery is due in the next week or so I'm told.1850605021_DSCN6108(2).JPG.be0e36e4a9e848f27628ae9eb3fe20de.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Nothing new to be told other than the prairie is now coming out in January although there will be a big announcement on their 2020 plans. It's their 100th birthday.

336254194_DSCN6107(2).JPG.cf65ce2ce5a658a5c741cef10a7f8ac7.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The new Ruston in the Army livery is due in the next week or so I'm told.1850605021_DSCN6108(2).JPG.be0e36e4a9e848f27628ae9eb3fe20de.JPG

Would I be right in thinking the Army Khaki coloured one is delivering essential supplies to the Officers Mess? The Army Green one must be for the Other Ranks?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, M.I.B said:

The items on the left seem to be turnbuckles - Most have a hook on each end or they can be anchored to the load bed (of whatever).   

A good driver or loader will always keep them oiled and extended so that when you chain down you:

1   Hook the chain on the load ( usually using a shackle)

2.  Pull the chain tight.

3. Slip a chain link inside the hook on the turnbuckle  (not hook through link),

4.  Wind them in, thereby tension-ing the chain. 

A slack driver will keep them as they were last left, and thereby have to faff about winding them back out before he starts - bad drills  (:

If I caught drivers or No2 drivers doing this sort of idleness they got  extra work in the evenings when everyone else was tucking into a Herforder........

Remembering Absent Friends today.

Thanks Tinker.

I think they are turnbuckles....the name escaped me when I posted so I used the sailing term "bottle screws" (used to tension the standing rigging) which on reflection wasnt very helpful

So for greater certainty if they are to be used to secure a load they should be positioned upwards like this?

925052262_1Upright.jpg.43f0ca090c94da04a169e666ced4a1f0.jpg

There is a hook at the top which faces the wrong way but I could fix the chain to it

I assumed they were cosmetic and set them up like this

338109936_2Downwards.jpg.8ff26c05840f20b8997f9b1dbe7d79e3.jpg

I then spent yesterday evening drilling inside the foremost and rearmost cosmetic molded ring. Fortunately so far I have only inserted one Roxey ring ....the brass bit.

I guess I should use the supplied (upward mounted) turnbuckles?  Its easy enough to weather the drill marks.

Which brings me to the Warwell. Robin reminded me they came with an accessory pack (which I have "mislaid") which included similar turnbuckles

You can see the fixing slot for them next to the jacks

1936335641_3Warwell.jpg.60019556ad78c36469a3da03b82d2bf8.jpg

The screw driver points to one of two cosmetic molded securing rings

712620393_4Warwell.jpg.1e6e0ceb01d7b428ff79bfbad8bfde47.jpg

I was planning to drill and insert securing rings and turnbuckles (Roxey or screw link) and then cross chain up to the tank.....would this be totally unrealistic?

Robin my apologies for cluttering your thread.....which so rarely drifts off topic......with arcane militaria and 4 mediocre photos......I can move it over to Granby if you wish?

Best wishes

John 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Not at all John, I'm enjoying it. I was planning to attaching my chains to the sides of the warflat rather like a bolster wagon so your photos are food for thought.

large_000000.jpg.7c94adaaead0806f1d570f3e3d7326a0.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2019 at 16:00, gwrrob said:

Powsides.

On 09/11/2019 at 16:49, toboldlygo said:

They are also on the HMRS Pressfix/Methfix GWR Goods Vehicle Insignia Sheet (No.12 I think)

Thank you gentlemen.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Not at all John, I'm enjoying it. I was planning to attaching my chains to the sides of the warflat rather like a bolster wagon so your photos are food for thought.

These machines look  like scrap items.....?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Thats a great photo Robin......it shows the turnbuckle so well and its position in relation to the chains. I think the chain is attached to the tank the way MIB described

I think it also shows that loco screwlinks will work fine as turnbuckles

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you seen the Rails announcement of the gas turbine 18000 with Heljan

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2863/gas-turbine-18000-class

its a bit pricy at £199 (And I think on past performance Heljan tend to struggle to get the detail / quality to match such a price), however it is mighty tempting.

i want one in fictional Great Western livery as the future loco describes in the GW book (the last station?) published post war on their plans for the future of Atlee and Co hadn’t got in the way.   Though at the price I may well have second thoughts....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Have you seen the Rails announcement of the gas turbine 18000 with Heljan

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2863/gas-turbine-18000-class

its a bit pricy at £199 (And I think on past performance Heljan tend to struggle to get the detail / quality to match such a price), however it is mighty tempting.

I'm still waiting for them to correct their assembly errors on the 47xx....

Edited by gwrrob
info.
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3