A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

15 minutes ago, Trains&armour said:

When will these be available in Brent?  I'd like some this summer. Will be in the neighbourhood...

You'll probably pass close to some of their shops on the way to Brent. I visited the one close to the GWR Steam Museum, but there are many more...

http://westcornwallpasty.co.uk/visit-us

image.png.d44edbcba1fbc00ecd4df4cb8f66c481.png

The OO-gauge ones left Chasewater Station yesterday. If they haven't arrived in Brent, did the RMWeb server hijack them, or have we got a Mysterious Case of Pasty Rustling?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Trains&armour said:

When will these be available in Brent?  I'd like some this summer. Will be in the neighbourhood...

There's also a rather nice deli in Brent that CK also uses for the SWAG exhibition held in Taunton in April.;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

An old topic here, but which engines had the Collett 8-Wheel 4,000 Gallon Tender during the post-war period? I’ve found a few sources but all contradicting each other. I think 5071 “Spitfire” was around 44’? Hoping to figure out roughly what locomotive was hauling it around the same time as @gwrrob time period (ish, Rule #1 as always)

This tender idea peaked my interest while scrolling through the names of the Hall class. I want to rename my Bach Hall to not be like everybody else’s. While researching, I saw a good price for a 3D print frame for a Hornby body tender

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Ribird said:

An old topic here, but which engines had the Collett 8-Wheel 4,000 Gallon Tender during the post-war period? I’ve found a few sources but all contradicting each other. I think 5071 “Spitfire” was around 44’? Hoping to figure out roughly what locomotive was hauling it around the same time as @gwrrob time period (ish, Rule #1 as always)

This tender idea peaked my interest while scrolling through the names of the Hall class. I want to rename my Bach Hall to not be like everybody else’s. While researching, I saw a good price for a 3D print frame for a Hornby body tender

Have you seen this topic?:

@M.I.B has been piecing the evidence together.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

There's still a few unknowns in that table, some proven mistakes ( from other tables) and some gaps, but so far it's the most comprehensive list of the Collett 8 wheel tender use/allocation.   I had to leave the cross references and mistakes in there, as it otherwise becomes another variation of many other tables and sources, and the mis-information continues.

I'm not in the UK much at the moment so I can't access my reference books.  I'm sure if you sat down with a nice pile of GWR/BR(W)  books you could finish off the table.  One day...........

The 3d tender chassis from Stafford Road models looks to be a great moulding.  You need smaller wheels than the usual offerings from Hornby Collett tenders. They were easy to find - there is advice from the manufacturer and a couple of folk here have made one up already.

It is near the top of my to-do pile on a maroon Olton Hall to become the un-named Impney Hall.   If your base model is Hornby DCC ready - there is a plug and socket to fettle into the new tender chassis, but if you use the Hornby 6 wheel tender base as a template, it should be quite easy.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ribird said:

I think 5071 “Spitfire” was around 44’? Hoping to figure out roughly what locomotive was hauling it around the same time as @gwrrob time 

Just checked the book of the Castles and you are correct that 5071 ran with the eight wheel tender. From June 1940 to May 1942.

• Informative/Useful 3

56 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Just checked the book of the Castles and you are correct that 5071 ran with the eight wheel tender. From June 1940 to May 1942.

Sadly, for post-war, was the un-named Impney Hall, in black

1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

It is near the top of my to-do pile on a maroon Olton Hall to become the un-named Impney Hall.   If your base model is Hornby DCC ready - there is a plug and socket to fettle into the new tender chassis, but if you use the Hornby 6 wheel tender base as a template, it should be quite easy.

So repainting the RR Olton Hall into wartime black? What are you doing about the windows, as Impney was built with plated covered windows, but were removed later on. And I just happen to have a spare Olton Hall as well, just the motion gear is broken on one side. The connecting rod connection to the cross-head is broken. What color are you doing the 8-wheel tender? Unlined green with G**R lettering or GWR lettering? 

• Informative/Useful 1

Evenin' all.

I've just had a visit from MoD Plod, and I'm helping them with their enquiries. They say that scene of the van full of pasties wasn't at Clearwater Station. It was faked! 

I'm shocked, shocked! :o

It turns out it was actually at one of the entrances to the ultra-secret HMS Hades Naval Supply Base (at the end of Richmond Walk, off Devonport Hill in Stonehouse, Plymouth).

Our roving reporter from The West Cornwall News has caught the event unfolding. Here they are now, with Scene of Crime Officers, MoD Plod trying to keep the crowd at bay, and British Transport Police sorting out a "new" loco to remove the goods van.

PastyCrimeScene1.png.6854e6c6bc6eca84e7d0e51d8eb7b988.png

image.png.a5f8229fab89fb8b7de1b33634e95ecd.png

British Transport Police found Broome Manor in one of the underground tunnels in HMS Hades. That's just out of camera view, I'm not permitted to show more yet for security reasons. The BTP were muttering something about a "GWR Strategic Steam Reserve" ... what does that mean???

Even worse news - I'm told that the special VIP* delivery never got to Brent after all. Apologies for all who were waiting there, I hope you didn't get too hungry?

How it got to HMS Hades instead is still a mystery. The pasties aren't in the goods van any more, and the thieving scrots have even nicked the logo from the van. According to information received from Lash (of this parish),  one CPO Pertwee (last seen on Milton Quay station) has been organising an "oriental import business". Along with a known associate "Fatso" Johnson, who is believed to have a very serious pastie habit. They may have been seen in the vicinity. Allegedly, some pasties were last seen being carried away from the scene of the crime.

British Transport Police would like to interview CPO Pertwee or "Fatso" Johnson. If you, or any member of the public, has any information to share, please call Pastie CrimeStoppers immediately.

The West Cornwall News reporter says a full account of all the goings-on at HMS Hades will be published in due course.

Mind how you go.

* VIP = Very Ingestible Pasties

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ribird said:

So repainting the RR Olton Hall into wartime black? What are you doing about the windows, as Impney was built with plated covered windows, but were removed later on.  What color are you doing the 8-wheel tender? Unlined green with G**R lettering or GWR lettering? 

The "factory black" windows are easy to plate - push a square of the super thin plasticard, (slightly larger than the window) from inside the cab and drip liquid cement/MEKPAK/Liquid poly onto it through the window aperture from the outside.  One that sets hard, pare off any raised window edge detail.  And take off the right angle shaped hand rail if fitted.  This will get in the way of sanding.   Before removal, either measure or photograph the mounting hole locations.  Use model filler or car filler to fill the window.  If you are feeling super skilled , get thin brass sheet, add rivetts and pop that on top.

Tender - unlined G**W.     

This is not the same as shutters for oil burners - they require a pair of upper and lower slide rails, and a sliding shutter on the outside of the cab.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Spitfire only had it from Sep 40 onwards.

Clifford Castle had it from June 40 - Sep 40

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Evenin' all.

I've just had a visit from MoD Plod, and I'm helping them with their enquiries. They say that scene of the van full of pasties wasn't at Clearwater Station. It was faked! 

I’m saying nothing without my brief getting here.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Evenin' all.

I'm shocked, shocked! :o

It turns out it was actually at one of the entrances to the ultra-secret HMS Hades Naval Supply Base (at the end of Richmond Walk, off Devonport Hill in Stonehouse, Plymouth).

Our roving reporter from The West Cornwall News has caught the event unfolding. Here they are now, with Scene of Crime Officers, MoD Plod trying to keep the crowd at bay, and British Transport Police sorting out a "new" loco to remove the goods van.

PastyCrimeScene1.png.6854e6c6bc6eca84e7d0e51d8eb7b988.png

image.png.a5f8229fab89fb8b7de1b33634e95ecd.png

British Transport Police found Broome Manor in one of the underground tunnels in HMS Hades. That's just out of camera view, I'm not permitted to show more yet for security reasons. The BTP were muttering something about a "GWR Strategic Steam Reserve" ... what does that mean???

Even worse news - I'm told that the special VIP* delivery never got to Brent after all. Apologies for all who were waiting there, I hope you didn't get too hungry?

How it got to HMS Hades instead is still a mystery. The pasties aren't in the goods van any more, and the thieving scrots have even nicked the logo from the van. According to information received from Lash (of this parish),  one CPO Pertwee (last seen on Milton Quay station) has been organising an "oriental import business". Along with a known associate "Fatso" Johnson, who is believed to have a very serious pastie habit. They may have been seen in the vicinity. Allegedly, some pasties were last seen being carried away from the scene of the crime.

British Transport Police would like to interview CPO Pertwee or "Fatso" Johnson. If you, or any member of the public, has any information to share, please call Pastie CrimeStoppers immediately.

The West Cornwall News reporter says a full account of all the goings-on at HMS Hades will be published in due course.

Mind how you go.

* VIP = Very Ingestible Pasties

Was HMS Hades the same Class as HMS Fieldies? 

H. Nelson.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Here's 5071 on a down express in the summer of '47.

imageedit_24_8035371951.jpg.42042a5502173b507644e51d71713135.jpg

Drone photo, or perhaps in 1947 a balloon photo?  Its true what they say, the higher you are, the more you see!  The yard doesn't look very busy these days, too soon after the recent hostilities?:unknw_mini:

Brian.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Worsley Works have now produced another set of GWR clerestory sides. It is the C16 which is the rebuilt form of the Hornby body. Fully paneled and design as an exact fit to the Hornby body. £25 a set with ends, clerestory insert and vents etc.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking absolutely mouth watering, the final checked CADs of the Kernow railmotor are available on Facebook. No delivery date given but our patience here will be rewarded.

1847844003_kernowrailmotor.jpg.9a7351c37e6b6edb40e920eb7c7fff12.jpg464292101_kernowrailmotor.jpga.jpg.c26cdd5eec375fc87ad92754785e3b1b.jpg2143028718_kernowrailmotor.jpga.jpgb.jpg.c8bbf445cd24235d122c04f64a18058d.jpg1624644193_kernowrailmotor.jpga.jpgb.jpgc.jpg.a2a61dfe8f96e20fb8301aa1b75b7a09.jpg

• Like 13