A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

6 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Das Boot is great but maybe a bit harrowing for an 8 year old.

we’ve just passed the bit in The Cruel Sea where the Captain cuts through the sailors on the water to try and sink a sonar contact.  I had to explain carefully what was going on.  It went a bit over his head.  He watched a webcast today from the https://liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk .  The museum is really struggling for lack of visitors at the moment so we were keen to support.  Apparently 150k people watched it!  He is now doing a creative writing piece of arriving as a young rating at the Western Approaches.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

That's great stuff.  Glad kids are learning about that sort of stuff.    I did Roundheads and Cavaliers and hated it.   Loved the ancient Egyptians lessons tho.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

He’s keen to watch The Dambusters.  We’ve had to have a serious chat with him about Gibson’s dog.

There was going to be a remake of the Dambusters, more protest about the name of the dog than the fact in the raid 1,600 civilians – about 600 Germans and 1,000 mainly Soviet forced labourers – died.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There was going to be a remake of the Dambusters, more protest about the name of the dog than the fact in the raid 1,600 civilians – about 600 Germans and 1,000 mainly Soviet forced labourers – died.

Think the e New Zealander who made the Lord of the Rings was going to direct with a script by Stephen Fry.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clearwater said:

He’s keen to watch The Dambusters.  We’ve had to have a serious chat with him about Gibson’s dog.

Serious head on.

1943 (and 1955) were different times. It would be a good way to educate him on the importance of not projecting present-day values back on to the past.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Clearwater said:

As part of home schooling, my son is looking at the Battle of the Atlantic.  As such, we started watching the Cruel Sea.  It looked a tough war on the North Atlantic.  Still a good film.

Have a look at 'San Demitrio-London'. North Atlantic convoy from the perspective of the Merchant Navy. Top film. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Serious head on.

1943 (and 1955) were different times. It would be a good way to educate him on the importance of not projecting present-day values back on to the past.

absolutely!  That’s the approach we’ve taken to explain how attitudes have changed over the years.  Of course  watching the film you’d think Gibson is a universally revered good egg Based on Richard Todd’s portrayal whereas the reality was somewhat different.  However, it’s easy to forget that he was only 24 when he led that raid.  I think back to what I did when I was 18-25 and shudder.   I find it interesting that  Gibson and Nelson Mandela were born a month or so apart.  One seems such a historic figure whereas Mandela was one of the most influential people globally until very recently.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Some milk or NPCCS perhaps please please.?

Especially in the light of that beautiful Dick Riley & Peter Gray book on non passenger ops.

(Loving  King  John  on NPCCS work picture)

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clearwater said:

absolutely!  That’s the approach we’ve taken to explain how attitudes have changed over the years.  Of course  watching the film you’d think Gibson is a universally revered good egg Based on Richard Todd’s portrayal whereas the reality was somewhat different.  However, it’s easy to forget that he was only 24 when he led that raid.  I think back to what I did when I was 18-25 and shudder.   I find it interesting that  Gibson and Nelson Mandela were born a month or so apart.  One seems such a historic figure whereas Mandela was one of the most influential people globally until very recently.

Something perhaps you might do as a family in less stressful times which we did last Spring Bank Holiday: Walk from Camden Lock along the Regents Canal to Little Venice.The route takes you along the back of the Zoo and US ambassadors residence .Approaching Maida Vale,the towpath is closed off and you follow the route via adjoining streets ( you can follow this on Google Maps) On one of the streets is a Blue Plaque house marking where Guy Gibson stayed during the war.

The area is of interest to me on a personal note.Before the war,my mother,a Queen Alexandra trained nurse,trained to be a District Nurse in Maida Vale

Ian....a “war baby” born 5 months before the Battle of......well you know the one...the one that marked in WSC’s words...” the end of the beginning.” So following on from that,maybe James Mason as “Rommel Desert Fox” or Sylvia Sims in “Ice Cold in Alex” ?    Should keep enquiring mind happy for a while 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks- we have Ice Cold in Alex too (its a four pack of classic war films).  The fourth is the Colditz Story.  We shall look out for that plaque though it is on the opposite side of London for us!

perhaps Rob can continue the wartime theme I’ve inadvertently introduced with a few all over brown coaches and some blanked out cab windows?  Do I recall a Hall in wartime black as well gracing Brent?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

With no exhibitions on the horizon for the foreseeable ,Modelu are offering free postage on orders before the end of this month. Always happy to keep suppliers in business during testing times even if it's just for some loco lamps.

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/2075/

Totally agree Rob.

My set of figures arrived a short while ago and the loco lamps are some of the best I have seen.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Report (yesterday).

A trip to Tesco at Lee Mill was made. The following observations were noted:

- orderly queuing system outside main entrance, limited to 300 shoppers inside at any one time

- hand sanitiser available and encouraged outside main entrance as people waited

- plenty of staff managing flow of shoppers outside

- each trolley handle sprayed and wiped by Tesco staff type person

- only one person per household allowed to enter to do shopping, so there were instances of one parent and kid returning to sit it out in the car (just as well CTMK decided to stay at home)

- inside the store, much re-stocking had clearly been taking place (previous visit was about a week ago). Some empty shelves, but nowhere near as many as before

- lots of markings on floor to denote 2 metre distances

- no hand gel or soap but plenty of fresh food and even a fair selection of tinned stuff

- was able to get virtually everything on Kernow Towers list

- bought latest Railway Modeller

- two more Spitfires for hanger also obtained (one since deployed)

- in-store muzak was of an up-beat, fast tempo style, to encourage no loitering

- slight hold-up at checkout, as unrepentant-looking male person delayed one other person and myself, due to trying to take about a dozen red-capped plastic vitamin bottles through the checkout. Manager was called and after some explanation (which I couldn't hear), was permitted to take them with him

- all in all, a satisfactory shopping expedition

End of report.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Report (today).

Quiet morning at Kernow Towers.

Short walk around the immediate district taken this afternoon. Keen and cold wind blowing, north by east a quarter east. Returned to Kernow Towers for another herbal tea.

End of report.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3