A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

You could fit two of those gun limbers, or possibly a limber and gun, on that LOWFIT - the drawbar of one could be beneath the rear of the other; an authentic method of loading.

John Isherwood.

A 25pdr gun/howitzer and a number 27 ammunition trailer would not be carried on a 3 plank Medfit. Nowhere for the securing shackles to be attached to on the floor. Yes they would be transported on a Lowfit which has securing eyes on its floor. If transporting troop of 4 guns, they would travel with eight ammunition trailers and six gun tractors.

There are set methods of securing an artillery piece to a railway wagon. I don't have a 25pdr manual which would have the correct way of ensuring the gun is not damaged in transit, or the railway wagon carrying it. Had the regiment I was attached to transported its 105mm light guns by rail part of my role as a gun fitter would have been to accompany the transport officer and the railway guard to ensure everything was safe and the holding chains would not damage the guns.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

A 25pdr gun/howitzer and a number 27 ammunition trailer would not be carried on a 3 plank Medfit. 

6 pdr anti-tank guns were though.;)

www.westwoodworks.net-1943Gun.jpg.ddfeb895eb6ccc7e424a0659c057cc00.jpg.265b516dc693f19e4e7c44c0d4bfd365.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Wrong on both guesses ;) 

Nelson_01.jpg.cfd98356f46a59bbddaeb9b70056ef11.jpg

Oh, I have read your other post about it and have heard of Rodders before, but not this one. However I know b all about ships except Trawlers.

P

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Anyone fancy going in on a copy of the October 1947 coach workings document?  There’s a copy on eBay at the moment that I’m bidding on, but would happily split between other interested parties (as I just want an electronic copy)

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

No room with @colin penfold on it.:dance_mini:

You mean the chair's trans-dimensional circuit has malfunctioned? :read:

I suppose that's what happens when you put a duck in charge of maintaining it? :o

So no remorse from you then? :o

Does that mean - Spams (the chair's long term resident) has been well and truly frittered? :O 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It is with regret that I have to tell you all that it was this weekend just gone that Argyle would have been promoted; maybe not Championies but promoted. 

Next season maybe eh Colin?

P

I'm hoping the season resumes as my team is 5 points clear with a game in hand.:P

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Another two wagons completed and ready for loads are these Cambrian SR 5 plank opens. I built these and put them in primer before @toboldlygo finished them in a brown [US Earth Brown 71290] from his vast Vallejo paint range.

590878906_DSCN6454(2).JPG.476b291549190757654a6c8c0c0893b9.JPG383242388_DSCN6455(2).JPG.75216e4a4ea2497fea184e4b2c39da8f.JPGDSCN6456_(2).JPG.6ebb541a78c48f0ad49242456ee8ebf3.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Rob, have you seen this private owner wagon? 
https://www.powsides.co.uk/search.php/Kingsbridge

Would be a lot tattier in 47 but very fitting location wise

Yes Rich, I have one. Steve Manchip of the Great Western Study Group did extensive research on the wagon for their Pannier No. 12 [Autumn 2000] magazine. I believe a No, 2 version of this wagon is also available.

http://gwsg.org.uk/

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Yes Rich, I have one. Steve Manchip of the Great Western Study Group did extensive research on the wagon for their Pannier No. 12 [Autumn 2000] magazine. I believe a No, 2 version of this wagon is also available.

http://gwsg.org.uk/

A timely reminder that I really must join the GWSG...

The wagon will be on my build list in the winter when I try to bulk up my coal train.The aim being 24 wagons (while it currently stands at 6...)

• Friendly/supportive 1