A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Currently on the workbench and inspired by a blog by @46444 is this unpainted Dapol fruit D [ AO13].I've fitted new roof vents [Comet] , new buffers [ BO23] and vac pipes [ VP02] from Dave Franks. I'm planning on adding screw links after painting although my might need to tweak the pipes so they don't interfere. A cheap worthwhile upgrade that will mean that I'll probably end up doing them all.

1720388467_DSCN6506(2).JPG.76d1a647dbac65f5045b6fe45c924541.JPG326050190_DSCN6507(2).JPG.d2f2b8b79a9cbf6fa1908863c473e3c5.JPG

Hahah! Snap! Well, almost!

IMG_4556.jpg.e61cd6239c672e4aa26253dae9d768ae.jpg

Although, I haven't got round to the steam heating and vacuum brake pipes yet - mine are on order. Mine has ABS (Fourmost) buffers and Lanarkshire roof vents. 

The Parkside kit is finer and the chassis less 'chunky', but for stock which is just going to whiz by, they aren't bad at all really. I like the fact that it is molded in three parts - roof, body and underframe - it has made detailing much easier. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Currently on the workbench and inspired by a blog by @46444 is this unpainted Dapol fruit D [ AO13].I've fitted new roof vents [Comet] , new buffers [ BO23] and vac pipes [ VP02] from Dave Franks. I'm planning on adding screw links after painting although my might need to tweak the pipes so they don't interfere. A cheap worthwhile upgrade that will mean that I'll probably end up doing them all.

1720388467_DSCN6506(2).JPG.76d1a647dbac65f5045b6fe45c924541.JPG326050190_DSCN6507(2).JPG.d2f2b8b79a9cbf6fa1908863c473e3c5.JPG

Very nice work Robin... ;)

That crimson plastic looks familiar.. :D

I do think as a quick project the Dapol Fruit C is excellent value. Especially with Mr. Franks accoutrements... 

The Dapol undecorated LMS van body paired with a Parkside LMS chassis isn`t half bad either. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 46444 said:

I do think as a quick project the Dapol Fruit C is excellent value.

I didn't know they did one.:P I think David Geen did a kit though once upon a time.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

I didn't know they did one.:P I think David Geen did a kit though once upon a time.

Need to keep up at the rear... :D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Currently on the workbench and inspired by a blog by @46444 is this unpainted Dapol fruit D [ AO13].I've fitted new roof vents [Comet] , new buffers [ BO23] and vac pipes [ VP02] from Dave Franks.

Hmm, got a couple of these but have never really checked them out against the real thing.  Think you've planted the seeds of new mini-project in my mind.  Nice work - look forward to seeing it again after paint 'n' transfers.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I thought it was good and informative, that’s why I posted it.

Informative for the 1368 build, yes. Think they just needed a microphone for the driver so you could hear him not the cameraman and some editing to remove the lengthy shots of the tank sides when nothing was happening. Would have made it much easier to watch.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The Fruit D is a bit late for me, noting being introduced until 1939, but rule 1 applies and I have a Dapol one and my sturdy old Hornby Dublo one (same tool as Dapol) from my childhood, now on a Parkside underframe. Then Parkside made a full kit of the Fruit D not long after.

I am not familiar with the Dapol fruit C. Dapol did the fruit van conversion of the cattle wagon. I avoided this as the original Hornby Dublo wagon it is based on had been stretch to fit the standard HD chassis. I converted an Airfix cattle wagon.  A fruit C to me, is a 4 door version of the D. I have  made a couple from the Ian Kirk kit which still pop up from time to time. Last time I was at David Geen's he still had 4 Fruit C kits on the shelf.

I look forward to seeing it finished Rob

Mike Wiltshire

338320739_KirkFruitC.jpg.b6dab669a2e26c8398cbf172bba5b4ae.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have Geen Fruit C on my WIP shelf awaiting the roof fitting along with brake gear.  A very nice kit.  I think I will have to have a go at making one of the ex cattle van conversions with one of my spare Airfix kits (and the sides from a Lima siphon will donate the slats for the top)

As for the fruit D I went for the Parkside option.  A very nice kit it is too.

On to a question,  

does anyone know of a good 1940s photo of a gw Conflat?  The only photos I can find show earlier livery’s (with the italics script for Tare weight etc.) and no Conflat branding. I now have 3 awaiting Transfers and the HMRS sheet only includes the word Conflat (and not the retained for GW containers) lettering that is on the earlier photos.  I’m trying to confirm if some should have the simpler livery with G W and Conflat branding.  Else I think I’m right in saying that POW sides are the only source for Conflat transfers 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

The Fruit D is a bit late for me, noting being introduced until 1939, but rule 1 applies and I have a Dapol one and my sturdy old Hornby Dublo one (same tool as Dapol) from my childhood, now on a Parkside underframe. Then Parkside made a full kit of the Fruit D not long after.

I am not familiar with the Dapol fruit C. Dapol did the fruit van conversion of the cattle wagon. I avoided this as the original Hornby Dublo wagon it is based on had been stretch to fit the standard HD chassis. I converted an Airfix cattle wagon.  A fruit C to me, is a 4 door version of the D. I have  made a couple from the Ian Kirk kit which still pop up from time to time. Last time I was at David Geen's he still had 4 Fruit C kits on the shelf.

I look forward to seeing it finished Rob

Mike Wiltshire

338320739_KirkFruitC.jpg.b6dab669a2e26c8398cbf172bba5b4ae.jpg

Did the fruit C vans last long into BR days Mike (or anyone else)? It is a rather charming little vehicle. I do like the late Edwardian GWR covered van designs. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I have Geen Fruit C on my WIP shelf awaiting the roof fitting along with brake gear.  A very nice kit.   

It certainly is and is a weighty beast too. Mine need weathering.

647322728_DSCN6508(2).JPG.f7a9462ef153495ed9d8fa15be301c9f.JPG

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Very nice models Rob, I have built some of Dave's kits over the years and they are, as you say, weighty but nothing wrong with that and if compensated chassis's are used they run like a dream !

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Did the fruit C vans last long into BR days Mike (or anyone else)? It is a rather charming little vehicle. I do like the late Edwardian GWR covered van designs. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Not sure. There is the similar fish van version with replacement doors preserved at Didcot which must have lasted a fair time.

1968789743_fishC.jpg.ac32dda7f60dd6c72d21eafbf965c5ed.jpg

If anyone is looking for another variation for the fruit D, try a crane runner.

976483421_fruitdcranerunner.jpg.68c105c470ed2eebca62a3dcceb0beaa.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I am just rebuilding a David Geen ex-GC dia. 17B van which I originally messed up ten years ago. Pleased to report it now runs like a dream too and it doesn't seem to need compensation. Lovely fine casting, very happy with the result,

Regards,

Alastair M

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Kind regards,

Nick.

There is a photo of W2424 and W2466 Diag Y3 Fruit C  in 1950 and 1951 (though the captions contain an error refering to incorrect figures.  See Fig 601 and 602 in Russell Appendix Vo2

The preceeding page contains a photo of a Y2 fruit van in 151

D561B4AF-2FAD-4B9C-842C-FFE8294E5515.jpeg.4600e05dffc2c88fdaef7b97e1fa67d7.jpeg

Will try and get this one finished tonight I think, from the looks of it I need to add steps. Axleboxes/Springs, brake leavers and the roof/vents.  I didn’t like the look of the white metal W Irons so substituted Bill Bedford units.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, vulcanbomber said:

Have you added pickup to the shunters truck  to improve  running?

No. Has anyone else done this.

• Friendly/supportive 1

been thinking about it

Peter spares do 12.8 mm wheels with one wheel live and alon g with DCC concepts axle springs would sort out the shunter pickup problem

What I haven't worked out yet is how to couple it to the loco

Edited by vulcanbomber
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

They are very nicely done, Robin! 

I do like Dean-Churchward brake gear on rolling stock. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1