A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, bgman said:

I wonder if it has a model of Shergar inside......now that would be an exclusive !

J.Ockey

It certainly would given that Shergar wasn't born until about 30 years later!

R. Rum

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Of course all anybody remembers about Shergar is his disappearance, which is a pity. He was a remarkable horse. I have a bit of a story.

Derby Day 1981 and Deb, used to following the turf although hardly a gambler, and I were on the train to London to work. She said Shergar was gonna win. When I got to work my boss (Divisional Movements Manager, South Eastern Division)  asked what was going to win - so I said Shergar. That afternoon he was in a meeting when some operating crisis blew up, about which he needed to know. So I waltzed in, gave him the news about the crisis and said Shergar had won by 10 lengths - the longest margin in Derby history. Clever clogs, huh?

Deb had got her hot tip from the Guardian racing correspondent, Richard Baerlein, who had implored people to "bet like men" on Shergar. He had been busy with bookies from long before the race, placing early bets as long as 33-1, and when Shergar passed the post he made so much money he bought a house in Sussex - and called it Shergar!

Our family only bet on the National and the Derby. For the Boat Race your allegiance was assigned at birth, for life. I'm Oxford and my brother's Cambridge. Each loser had to pay each winner sixpence (a tanner, not 6p).

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Our family only bet on the National and the Derby. For the Boat Race your allegiance was assigned at birth, for life. I'm Oxford and my brother's Cambridge. Each loser had to pay each winner sixpence (a tanner, not 6p).

My father and I - neither of us went to uni - alway had a similar bet on the Boat Race. He favoured Oxford, so I was with the light blues. I think our bet had fizzled out by the time brother Keith - dirty little swot - got to Cambridge in 1972. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think that train would look better if you ditched the wagons and put a siphon or two and a full brake in their place, all the stock would then be passenger rated and give the loco a code C lamps.

Fair enough - except this is the branch train, and the consist you propose would be a little more than might be needed down there. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think that train would look better if you ditched the wagons and put a siphon or two and a full brake in their place, all the stock would then be passenger rated and give the loco a code C lamps.

That sounds like a nice looking train, leave it with me.;) I've just got to shunt the through coach from Paddington first for todays shots.

Incidentally, you are all currently getting branch photos only as my mainline controller, the Gaugemaster DS, has a fault with the down control. I've sent it to them for repair on its lifetime guarantee.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That sounds like a nice looking train, leave it with me.;) I've just got to shunt the through coach from Paddington first for todays shots.

And put a N Class on the front...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A few more with the recent Hornby release of their toad unbranded seen at the rear.

1347679792_DSCN6541(2).JPG.44dfc3bb6a339d8dcab6fe6ecaba2ad2.JPG

Rob, that view beneath the branches is one of my favourites on ANTB.

Made me think that in a future of dirt cheap micro cameras, we could build them permanently into the layouts during construction and they would all feed wirelessly to a central screen. Maybe even motion-triggered so they take their own pics/videos. Then you simply select the crop of the day.

On the other hand, where's the fun in that? Bending into impossible positions and knocking down things to get a good angle may be stressful, but somehow it's also part of the challenge and fun of taking the photos.  

Edited by Mikkel
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Perhaps a Brent webcam ..

Yes! I've suggested that in the past but he's not taking it seriously. Old dogs, new tricks.. :jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

About a week ago, the proprietor of 'Station House' (formerly 'The Oak' pub and prior to that 'The Royal Oak') had engaged contractors to strip all the old paint off and clean it back to bare stone.

20200511_115821.jpg.49f1bd451cb093175b2492f3852b9c39.jpg

The plan always was to repaint the exterior stonework of the building back to a cream colour.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Whilst out on our walk this afternoon, CTMK and I chanced to speak (at an acceptable distance) with a couple, who had come from the Newton Abbot area, in search of a peaceful country walk.

They had initially gone to the car park for the walk up to the Avon Dam.

They reported that the car park was madness, with insane parking of vehicles in a completely socially close-up manner all along the nearby lanes as well.

End of report.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

28 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Whilst out on our walk this afternoon, CTMK and I chanced to speak (at an acceptable distance) with a couple, who had come from the Newton Abbot area, in search of a peaceful country walk.

They had initially gone to the car park for the walk up to the Avon Dam.

They reported that the car park was madness, with insane parking of vehicles in a completely socially close-up manner all along the nearby lanes as well.

End of report.

Ah normal life is back

How I miss lockdown - traffic outside of my in laws house was almost at normal levels on Friday, I actually couldn't cross the road to get to the post box to post a letter for them.  Then there are the stupid queues at the retail park where until earlier this week it was only a Boots, a PetsRus store and three food shops that were open - as soon as KFC opens its doors the queues are back.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Here's a video of 4540 on a class C train as requested.

Thanks Rob. My wife won't like me saying this, but that is the most thoroughly pleasing sight I have seen all day.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Just now, Mikkel said:

Thanks Rob. My wife won't like me saying this, but that is the most thoroughly pleasing sight I have seen all day.

Surely you looked in the mirror this morning to brush your hair Sir.:D

• Funny 6