A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

30 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

most of them aren't exercising

Nothing a water cannon couldn't sort out ! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, colin penfold said:

I have been frankly appalled by the attitude  of so called holiday areas to second home owners.

Then think again ! The attitude of far too many visitors to holiday areas is that they are 'theme parks', that close down when they go home.

Not true - those areas are permanant homes to a sizeable population, with a disproportionate percentage of elderly, vulnerable residents.

Furthermore, the medical and other essential services, including food outlets, in those holiday areas are far more restricted than those in the more populated, urban areas.

Second home owners who wish to travel to their secondary residence for lockdown risk introducing COVID-19 from the worst affected areas into the relatively low infected holiday areas - the Southwest has been consistently the area of lowest infection throughout this crisis.

What possible justification can there be for travelling around the country, potentially spreading infection, purely for one's own pleasure?

My wife and I have been following government advice for weeks now, and staying indoors, with minimal exercise, and having food delivered.

Surely, sitting in your primary home, with all your facilities to hand, is preferable to sitting in a second home or caravan, with limited facilities? ..... or do you imagine yourself behaving as you usually do when on holiday? If so, that's why we don't want you here !!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I am very concerned by my eldest daughter (aged 6), she just came into the office to bring me a drink and started asking questions about some of the models on the shelves behind me.  At the moment the shelves contain a trio of black tanks (1470, 4292 and 4547), a grange, a Bird, a 43xx, a Manor, a 4700 and a Castle.  Along with a large LNER thing from my 1998 fleet. 

which does she say is her favourite?  Flying bl@@dy Scotsman.   I thought after all of these trips to the South Devon and Dean Forrest she would be sufficiently indoctrinated in the right railway.....

Can’t even blame the tepid Hornby green, given the 4 of the 5 green locos i painted myself (the right colour)

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Robin - this is your thread and I apologise for the fact that I allowed myself to indulge my not inconsiderable irritation at the news piece that I linked to.

I didn't really want to say much more in response to the contributions from 2750Papyrus and our friend Colin, but as their comments were made in response to what I initially posted, then I will only say that whilst I respect their right to hold the views that they do, my own (very robust) views on visitors and second home owners coming down here during the pandemic are more or less precisely aligned with those so ably expressed by John Isherwood.

I really wouldn't want any of us to fall out over this, but everyone's health and safety has to come first.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Insufficient grammar pills this morning.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I am very concerned by my eldest daughter (aged 6), she just came into the office to bring me a drink and started asking questions about some of the models on the shelves behind me.  At the moment the shelves contain a trio of black tanks (1470, 4292 and 4547), a grange, a Bird, a 43xx, a Manor, a 4700 and a Castle.  Along with a large LNER thing from my 1998 fleet. 

which does she say is her favourite?  Flying bl@@dy Scotsman.   I thought after all of these trips to the South Devon and Dean Forrest she would be sufficiently indoctrinated in the right railway.....

Can’t even blame the tepid Hornby green, given the 4 of the 5 green locos i painted myself (the right colour)

Well, you know what the answer is!

Put the LNER item back in it's box and hide it from impressionable young minds!

Or you could try putting some nice Midland motive power on display, that usually works.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, you know what the answer is!

Put the LNER item back in it's box and hide it from impressionable young minds!

Or you could try putting some nice Midland motive power on display, that usually works.

I do have to work in here, something that visually offensive would be too much of a distraction.  

The offending Pacific has now been hidden behind the GWR 150 liveried class 50 so hopefully out of site out of mind...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I really wouldn't want any of us to fall out over this, but everyone's health and safety has to come first.

Spot on. The more we restrict non essential travel, the sooner we will achieve something approaching normal. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I do have to work in here, something that visually offensive would be too much of a distraction

Oh dear, Rich, I can see that you're going to need some help to overcome this unfortunate misunderstanding of the virtues of the wonderful Midland Railway.

There you go, this should help, here's some medicine for you:

4F.jpg.0c72bd4693fb41583668188dae334599.jpg

3F.jpg.fbf9ecb0af54f83c92d357184a6d0a58.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh dear, Rich, I can see that you're going to need some help to overcome this unfortunate misunderstanding of the virtues of the wonderful Midland Railway.

not even close In comparison to a 2251...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh what lovely locos, a class 4 Big Goods and a class 3 Goods, nothing better looking than a Deeley/Fowler loco.

I have my own naughty step so I can keep my social distance.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I can just hear them, coughing and wheezing as they limp along.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

I can just hear them, coughing and wheezing as they limp along.

Buttercup Syrup

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

What's not to like.....

gwrt3926.jpg.009ab51b8c89d87b6b84a6621667726b.jpg

Keep the faith !

G

• Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I really wouldn't want any of us to fall out over this, 

That won't happen. I just hope the timing is right for my stay when we can officially and legally enjoy my favourite part of the world.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoy this layout thread. Why is there so much noise on the video clips - is it granite ballast on a rigid base, or some external noise as well. I know I can turn the sound down. Keep up the good work, Bazza

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Why is there so much noise on the video clips - is it granite ballast on a rigid base, 

Yes and I hadn't noticed it to recently. Track is on a cork base and ballasted using Green Scene granules. Nowt I can do about it now. Maybe I should stick to just taking photos.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

One things for sure, nobody is travelling to the West Midlands areas of natural beauty in numbers to exercise.:rolleyes:

Er....The Malverns ? Last nights BBC Midlands  Today interviewed a couple who had travelled from The Cotswolds ( of outstanding natural beauty fame ) of all places just for “ somewhere different “  .All I know is there’s a huge increase in traffic volume today .Unsociable distancing reigns...e.g cars parked cheek by jowl in lay bys etc.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Er....The Malverns ? 

I was thinking more of the industrialised parts of the West Midlands Ian.;)

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Well, I don't know so much, they both have a chimney, a thingey in the middle of the boiler, a whistle or two, an open cab and a tender behind.

And it's possible to fit a Comet chassis under the 4F and a 22XX.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Well, I can see that you need a stronger dose!

Nurse! More medication, please!

First of all, something cute and lovely:

Deeley.jpg.8b3d6aabd294a0677cf38f7ccd914ac6.jpg

And now something sturdy and good looking:

Jinty.jpg.753216687d557534d8d6163677188606.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Maybe I should stick to just taking photos.

Definitely NOT young man ! 

I / WE / THEY want more real time action baby !!!

rank-logo.yellow-412x391.jpg.001d236cc5568e4631c3decf3bb8d154.jpg

Yours hopefully,

J.Arthur

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I was thinking more of the industrialised parts of the West Midlands Ian.;)

Point taken .But then,where did the industry go ? Shopping Malls and brownfield housing All the great industrial giants are but a memory.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, I can see that you need a stronger dose!

Nurse! More medication, please!

First of all, something cute and lovely:

Deeley.jpg.8b3d6aabd294a0677cf38f7ccd914ac6.jpg

And now something sturdy and good looking:

Now I do rather like the first one, ugly as anything but very interesting looking.  

the other just looks like most other midland prototypes, all very practical but devoid of elegance in its design.  To many straight lines

round off the corners of the tanks and the joints between cab and bunker/tank top, get rid of the lump on top of the boiler,  and get rid of all of the lumps around the smokebox door.....