A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

My friend tells me that a certain Norman Lockhart took a photo of WD 7294 [90359] later 77294 on the west of England mainline, again in Somerset.

Apparently one also made it onto the Somerset and Dorset on the Somerset Levels:

IMG_1963.jpg.e50a07363aaa77319e781ce5debe3952.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

The location is Bleakhouse Road station. The photographer forgot to note down the number of the locomotive, as he was preoccupied with getting back to the car before his mate ate all the chocolate biscuits.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It looks a beautiful model Tim.

Thanks Robin. It's got replacement bogie and tender wheels, though, as the original Bachmann flanges used to bump along the tops of the inside chairs. The driving wheel flanges were a different profile, though, and weren't a problem. A bit bizarre, really.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

No problem sheep bloke.;)

DSCN5667_(2).JPG.603ace2c51c03e6baa7ad5ddbc2cde8f.JPG

I really must finish mine....

post-14122-0-51352200-1430597247_thumb.jpg-02.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But which ? Please level with us....where must once the Devil’s clank be heard ? 

Would look good on the Down line through Brent with a train for Tavvy Junction!

Brian.

• Agree 3

On 03/06/2020 at 11:22, gwrrob said:

A heads up on a new, to me anyway, book on freight in Devon & Cornwall that caught my eye in this months Heritage Railway magazine.

https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15031

By author David Mitchell, I don't know exactly what the content of it is but the front cover looks promising.;) Ideally it might be best to see it in the flesh at a show, whenever that happens again, as at £40 it's a lot of money to gamble on relevant to this thread content. Of course someone might already have it and can give a review.

Brief review (not by me) can be found here (and the reply regarding pricing on Amazon appears to still be close if shopping on Amazon doesn't offend one):

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Sooooo has anyone ever received two different sized buffers with their Hornby King? *and where/how to replace?

(In progress KGV, so please ignore any messes atm. Most issues should be solved with a good coat of clear). 

Recently weathered Hall too. Waiting on plates for “Acton Hall” EDIT: If anyone will see this again, I weathered this

If @gwrrob doesn’t approve of this, will remove. :) 

D11013BD-FE5D-4817-A7D4-741E76B09152.jpeg

7A210E20-9202-4DAD-A00A-17E48D2D6832.jpeg

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2020 at 09:09, gwrrob said:

Yes but I always put her coaches in the wrong order and get roasted for it.:mellow:

Probably about time that Spams chappie gave you a quick guide to an optimum formation for the vehicles you have. I always think the BCK confuses people unaware of the reasons for its original introduction. Trains would leave Waterloo with several of these at the rear, one being dropped off at each junction station, thus providing through first- and third-class seats from London to this or that seaside resort. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Probably about time that Spams chappie gave you a quick guide to an optimum formation for the vehicles you have. I always think the BCK confuses people unaware of the reasons for its original introduction. Trains would leave Waterloo with several of these at the rear, one being dropped off at each junction station, thus providing through first- and third-class seats from London to this or that seaside resort. 

Not just Waterloo of course.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

When heading for Devon, Maunsell coaches were mainly leaving Waterloo......

Of course. What I meant was that BCKs as through-coach portions of major expresses were not limited to the South Western main line (but you knew that's what I meant all along, you cheeky buqqer!).

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Of course. What I meant was that BCKs as through-coach portions of major expresses were not limited to the South Western main line (but you knew that's what I meant all along, you cheeky buqqer!).

Moi?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I need to put some stickers underneath the coaches A,B,C,D for their correct order as my failing eyesight, I need glasses, I can't easily read the coach numbers.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 03/06/2020 at 16:22, gwrrob said:

A heads up on a new, to me anyway, book on freight in Devon & Cornwall that caught my eye in this months Heritage Railway magazine.

https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15031

By author David Mitchell, I don't know exactly what the content of it is but the front cover looks promising.;) Ideally it might be best to see it in the flesh at a show, whenever that happens again, as at £40 it's a lot of money to gamble on relevant to this thread content. Of course someone might already have it and can give a review.

14 hours ago, mdvle said:

Brief review (not by me) can be found here (and the reply regarding pricing on Amazon appears to still be close if shopping on Amazon doesn't offend one):

Just noticed the link to my review & thought I should expand a bit (the review that is, although I have been over indulging in cakes!)

I'd say it is very much a diesel era book, the first chapters have some history but the bulk is post modernisation. Lots of info given in chapters based around each traffic type (coal, cement, timber, agricultural, clay, etc, Speedlink and then Enterprise traffic). So very good for diesel fans (I've got a lot from it) but perhaps not so much for ANTB followers. ;)

HTH

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Here is my BCK in close up and has a SR tail lamp fitted as I use it [ 6592] to tag on the end of my three coach set 239. I might be wrong but it would be also correct to put it in front of the set too.;)

1426361420_DSCN6707(2).JPG.54bf52598a5c0768430fee02b034e13f.JPG

• Like 8
  • Agree 2