A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Grockles are wot we az in Devun, they az emmets over the water.

My late father was classed as a grockle even though he was born in Falmouth.;)

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Captain Kernow Backscene Tours announce that until further notice, all tours of Robin's backscene will be done on an unstaffed, unaccompanied, virtual basis, using full two mile social remoteness. To undertake a tour, please simply peruse this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Great to also hear that the Paignton & Dartmouth are reopening on the 6th July with measures in place including screens inside the carriages.

1496379011_Sanitiserfogapplication(2).jpg.7eb6a58065f667cf05930dbcec6e22b9.jpg257327712_Interiorcarriagewithseatingscreeningateachset4.jpg.721c3d7850158bedd7481522866ae063.jpg120285978_HeadofSteamcafewithscreeningtocounter2.jpg.b4337f880803427b5f22638e19a68c40.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Great to also hear that the Paignton & Dartmouth are reopening on the 6th July with measures in place including screens inside the carriages.

1496379011_Sanitiserfogapplication(2).jpg.7eb6a58065f667cf05930dbcec6e22b9.jpg257327712_Interiorcarriagewithseatingscreeningateachset4.jpg.721c3d7850158bedd7481522866ae063.jpg120285978_HeadofSteamcafewithscreeningtocounter2.jpg.b4337f880803427b5f22638e19a68c40.jpg

Ah, an example of gen-u-ine GWR perspex!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

If anyone is looking for photos of the new 61xx, Paul M-P has a review on his blog

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2020/06/21/Hornby-61xx-r3723-review/

Looks a very nice model, and will certainly be tempting my aim to avoid more RTR purchases (or at the very least wait for a comparison between it and the Dapol one)

That's a very good review by Paul and very good of him to take the time and trouble.

But you know what, I look at this new loco and the following thoughts occur to me, which would then be followed by the inevitable and (for me) fairly predictable outcomes:

- That looks like a really nice loco

- I'd really like to own one of those

- Shall I?

- Shan't I?

- Oh, alright then, where's the number for KMRC or Hattons or Derails (or other, delete as appropriate)

- 'Hello, I'd like to order a new Hornby 61XX please. BR black livery. Many thanks'.

- Hurray, postie's coming up the driveway to Kernow Towers with a familiar-looking package

- Right, let's get this package disinfected

- Opening of box and looking at shiny, new loco

- 'That looks really lovely. What a brilliant model!'

- 'Let's give it a test run. Hmm, not too bad for out of the box, should improve with a bit of running in'.

- Loco gets put back in it's box and put away with the other dark blue and red boxes

- Several months later, whilst rummaging for something else - 'oh, there's that 61XX. Lovely model, shall I give it some running in on the circle of Lima track on the floor soon?'

- Several more months elapse. 'Hmm, why did I get that 61XX? It's lovely, but really not suitable for 'Bleakhouse Road' or 'Bethesda Sidings'. Shall I convert it to P4? Are the Comet 61XX chassis still available? How long's the waiting list for Ultrascale wheels? Ouch! That's a long time!'

- Loco gets put back with the other dark blue and red boxes and forgotten about for a few more months

- Finally, a few years after purchase, the loco details are added to the spreadsheet about to be sent to Hattons Secondhand Department, during another 'rigorous clearout' of dark blue and red boxes

- Package for Hattons despatched

- Hattons payment received. 'Hmm, that new 7mm Caledonian 4-4-0 looks rather nice!'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, bgman said:

Just imaging picking up the telephone and asking for a one !

G, you've reminded me of the "contagious" joke, which I absolutely cannot repeat on here.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Grockles are wot we az in Devun, they az emmets over the water.

Absolutely right. I think in Cornish, emmet is an ant, so the visitors are ants cascading over the border from Devon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's a very good review by Paul and very good of him to take the time and trouble.

But you know what, I look at this new loco and the following thoughts occur to me, which would then be followed by the inevitable and (for me) fairly predictable outcomes:

- That looks like a really nice loco

- I'd really like to own one of those

- Shall I?

- Shan't I?

- Oh, alright then, where's the number for KMRC or Hattons or Derails (or other, delete as appropriate)

- 'Hello, I'd like to order a new Hornby 61XX please. BR black livery. Many thanks'.

- Hurray, postie's coming up the driveway to Kernow Towers with a familiar-looking package

- Right, let's get this package disinfected

- Opening of box and looking at shiny, new loco

- 'That looks really lovely. What a brilliant model!'

- 'Let's give it a test run. Hmm, not too bad for out of the box, should improve with a bit of running in'.

- Loco gets put back in it's box and put away with the other dark blue and red boxes

- Several months later, whilst rummaging for something else - 'oh, there's that 61XX. Lovely model, shall I give it some running in on the circle of Lima track on the floor soon?'

- Several more months elapse. 'Hmm, why did I get that 61XX? It's lovely, but really not suitable for 'Bleakhouse Road' or 'Bethesda Sidings'. Shall I convert it to P4? Are the Comet 61XX chassis still available? How long's the waiting list for Ultrascale wheels? Ouch! That's a long time!'

- Loco gets put back with the other dark blue and red boxes and forgotten about for a few more months

- Finally, a few years after purchase, the loco details are added to the spreadsheet about to be sent to Hattons Secondhand Department, during another 'rigorous clearout' of dark blue and red boxes

- Package for Hattons despatched

- Hattons payment received. 'Hmm, that new 7mm Caledonian 4-4-0 looks rather nice!'

So are you confirming or denying a purchase of the said 61xx then Tim.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

So are you confirming or denying a purchase of the said 61xx then Tim.

It is not possible at this time to issue or retract any kind of statement to the affirmative or negative, in support or not in support of any alleged or otherwise unalleged suggestion that any such locomotive may or may not be acquired or disposed of at any time in the past, present or tomorrow.

Kernow Towers Public Relations are not, however, in a position to issue any kind of similar statement or otherwise with regards to the R-R-R-R-Rapido 16XX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 4

42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It is not possible at this time to issue or retract any kind of statement to the affirmative or negative, in support or not in support of any alleged or otherwise unalleged suggestion that any such locomotive may or may not be acquired or disposed of at any time in the past, present or tomorrow.

Kernow Towers Public Relations are not, however, in a position to issue any kind of similar statement or otherwise with regards to the R-R-R-R-Rapido 16XX.

And for those of us whose first language is English...?;)

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, davknigh said:

And for those of us whose first language is English...?;)

Cheers,

David

In a very rare example of clarity, a Kernow Towers spokesman issued the following statement:

The Hornby 61XX is a very nice-looking model but Kernow Towers Procurement Department has determined that the aesthetic and conceptual advantages of ownership would contradict the interplay of light and shade within the actuality of operational realisation, hence there can be no ambiguity intrinsic in the reductive quality of the resonance of gauge-conversion when juxtaposed with the unlikely likelihood of spatial diffidence, but only in quasi-eloquent terms.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

In a very rare example of clarity, a Kernow Towers spokesman issued the following statement:

The Hornby 61XX is a very nice-looking model but Kernow Towers Procurement Department has determined that the aesthetic and conceptual advantages of ownership would contradict the interplay of light and shade within the actuality of operational realisation, hence there can be no ambiguity intrinsic in the reductive quality of the resonance of gauge-conversion when juxtaposed with the unlikely likelihood of spatial diffidence, but only in quasi-eloquent terms.

I wish I knew how to speak like a cornered politician.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2