A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what Hattons are up to Robin. I have both the Dapol Prairie and Mogul on pre-order.

This morning I got the standard pre-order notification....”Prairie now expected in September”.........followed about an hour later by all manner of details about the Mogul.....due September...encouraging me to order if I hadnt pre-ordered...

I guess someone got a bit muddled. Regardless I am really looking forward to the Mogul.....my split chassis expired some years ago. You are right they will look great with a 4 coach set

Cheers

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just checked the details on that mogul , 7316 and it really is very late GWR with steam pipes fitted. The Dapol option will be the shirt-button version for this. As mentioned on another thread Dapol has chosen the GWR version to have a smokebox number but no pipes.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Well it appears I was given the wrong loco information this morning and it's actually the Dapol mogul being released in September. Shewn before but I can't resist this photo of 7316 seen near Exeter [home shed] in GWR days. This will whet the appetite. Four coaches looks so right behind these.

524344779_mogul7316nearExeter.jpg.e79396dcccf54cf62255cba5ccd03a5a.jpg

I bought a copy of that photo a while back (and unsurprisingly ended up finishing my Mitchell mogul as this loco)

very interesting formation, I think we had coach two as being an exLNWR example while no3 is a centenary.  Can’t remember 1 or 4 but the formation is on my to do list.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol number is correct re the outside pipes with shirt button but care is needed on any renumber as I'm finding out. The RCTS volume for two cylinder classes that features this class has the dates of fitting and whether they had them at all. Some of the class had the tablet catcher fitted for use on the Barnstaple branch too. Always happy to check for anyone. Another detail to watch on these is the safety valve which became the short in version the mid 20s.

• Informative/Useful 5

4326 and 6365? I'm seeing 4326 with outside steam pipes added in 1930 on the brdatabase.info. Don't know about 6365 though. 

What book is the RCTS volume 1? Looks like that is something I should have in my collection. Do you also know of good GWR wagon books?

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol model is only suitable for numbers 5390- 7321. Details found in RCTS part 9.

6365 had them [pipes] from built in 1925.

The definite GWR wagon bible is the Atkins et al book, I don't have it but I know a man who does.;)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Was there any inside steam pipe Moguls still around in 47'? Mainly around Swindon and Bristol? Reading through some online pages, why wouldn't the Dapol version work for anything older? Something to do with the cab length and slight changes for better weight distribution? 

Thank you for the recommendation for the GWR Wagon bible ;) Any other GWR books that are a must have?

• Like 1

It is another of the GWR class that is suppose to be standard but is anything but.

I assume Dapol have chosen a 63Xx series at there were few alterations into BR days.

43xx. 88 of this group did not exist after 1939 as they had supplied parts for Grange and Manors. Earlier 43xx had shorter cabs/frames etc

53xx large numbers had an extra casting added behind the buffer beam to put weight on the front pony wheel

Both 43/53 had a longer centre splasher on the drivers side.

The motion bracket on some of the earlier batches is much bigger than the 63xx.

Dapol are playing safe and who can blame them,

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ribird said:

What about any inside steam pipe Moguls between Bristol and Southhampton? 

6377 and 6394 had inside pipes in our period and were Taunton based.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

6377 and 6394 had inside pipes in our period and were Taunton based.

Thank you! And yes, same period as well, yet I'm planning on being a bit lenient on what runs and doesn't! (Rule #1 ;))  Now we just need a 1000 Class County made to recent standards! I would also by a fictitious GWR livery 15xx

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

How about Swindon's 6360 which didn't get pipes till '56.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/260_6300det.htm

I also see Chester had 6337 in '47 Mr @john dew.

Thanks Robin

So 6337 was without pipes in ‘47?

Chester also had 6380......and I have bought the plates to renumber the shirt button 6385........when you have a moment perhaps you could check  if this is yet another occasion when I have to apply Rule1.......I did check my usual reference gwr.org  and perhaps mistakenly assumed its pipes were fitted on or before 1947

Best wishes

John

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry John but 6380 received pipes in '44 but you're ok with 6337 [1951] If it's any consolation I had to change my number, thanks to @BenL for my forthcoming pannier after buying the plates too.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Sorry John but 6380 received pipes in '44 but you're ok with 6337 [1951] If it's any consolation I had to change my number, thanks to @BenL for my forthcoming pannier after buying the plates too.

No .....thats perfect.....its the shirt button with steam pipes that I have on pre-order!  

Once my budget has got over the hit of Prairies and this Mogul  I will be very tempted to buy the GWR  livery model.....change the door and re number to 6337. I was astonished how many Moguls were at Chester when I read the Lyons shed book

Is that the black pannier you are referring too? I would / should have one but I have rather a lot already

Many thanks for the info.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, john dew said:

Is that the black pannier you are referring too? I would / should have one but I have rather a lot already

Yes, watch this space next week.;)

• Like 3

I think I found the right shed for my “area.” That being Westbury. So here is what I found, if correct. Dates in brackets are for outside steam pipes fitted. 

6314 [?]
6351 [?]
6365 [Fitted as built]
6368 [?]
6369 [?]
6374 [1948]

6399 [1947]

Would the question marks be built with outside pipes?

Any good place to find the layout of Westbury shed?

Thanks for the help everyone! 

Edited by Ribird

2 hours ago, Ribird said:

Any good place to find the layout of Westbury shed?

Thanks for the help everyone! 

My layout is based on Westbury in the mid 1930's.  From my research, here is the 63XX allocation for the area in my time period. Weymouth's large allocation of moguls would often be seen on Westbury shed as they worked many of the passenger trains as far a Westbury, before extra carriages being added and the loco changed to a Saint, Star, Hall for the journey to Paddington.

The shed plan is available in Historical Survey of Great Western Engine sheds page 94. The shed complex occupies a large area with the turntable hidden behind the main shed buildings.

Allocation in 1947 was 6314,51,65,68 & 69

Mike Wiltshire

image.png.d5b34b5ec537ca009209a72cff67711e.png

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ribird said:

I think I found the right shed for my “area.” That being Westbury. So here is what I found, if correct. Dates in brackets are for outside steam pipes fitted. 

6314 [?]
6351 [?]
6365 [Fitted as built]
6368 [?]
6369 [?]
6374 [1948]

6399 [1947]

6314  [never fitted]

6351  [1949]

6368  [1946]

6369  [ 1956]

• Informative/Useful 3