Jump to content

gwrrob

A Nod To Brent - Fun , friendly, frivolity and happy days in the South Hams 1947.

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

 

Sounds like you're going through a black period Rob.

 

As the LMS fans might say -black fives matter.

  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear!

I now fear there will be a barrage of posts arguing either,

"All Fives matter," or,

"You don't understand the problem with Black Fives."

  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the 7000 +:o photo took with this camera and shews my Chiver's bolster build running with the other LMS wagons  albeit in bauxite I have. Still in primer I'm yet to decide what grey paint shade to use to finish her.

 

1932466479_DSCN7000(2).JPG.f46a3cb1cb53a1b03b006aa3aad56087.JPGDSCN7001_(2).JPG.565f9dc8965691bd3b3daa55b709892e.JPG1604612880_DSCN7002(2).JPG.c2d1ebc557dda3857a7803e7574ba6b6.JPG

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Still in primer I'm yet to decide what grey paint shade to use to finish her.

It won't make any difference once TBG's finished with it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

 

As the LMS fans might say -black fives matter.

Very true

 

 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

caught amongst the shrubbery

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks rather nice Robin, what is the first coach in the train? Looks good.

 

Connor

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CCGWR said:

Looks rather nice Robin, what is the first coach in the train? Looks good.

 

 

An old K's kit built example of the K16 running on Shapeway bogies.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to my photos of Dawlish sea wall last month I see the newly constructed bit is now open although a new railway fence is yet to be installed. Time will tell if it works. 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that you can still see over the top, from the train window, I went to Exeter last week for my final visit to the Model Shop.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for some atmospheric photography from ANTB over the last couple of days.There’s an accomplished landscape artist ( apart from railway modeller ) behind the lens.Given me  an uplift which I can do with right now. Please keep them coming Robin. Thank you from me.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Further to my photos of Dawlish sea wall last month I see the newly constructed bit is now open although a new railway fence is yet to be installed. Time will tell if it works

It will be a whole lot better than what went before.

 

They've used the same methodology as the repairs done in 2014 a bit further along at Sea Lawn Terrace, namely pre-cast concrete sections as the basis for the new Sea Wall, with a proper wave return incorporated in the design.

 

If it's like the Sea Lawn Terrace section, the whole thing will be several thousand tonnes of solid concrete, which isn't going to go anywhere for a very long time.

 

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the proposals to push the railway between Parsons Tunnel and Sprey Point further out to sea, the essential methods used for the new construction are, I believe, very sound.

 

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stood on the beach looking up at those concrete sections, what strikes me is the lack of character of them compared to the originals that had been ravaged by the sea for 200 years. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Stood on the beach looking up at those concrete sections, what strikes me is the lack of character of them compared to the originals that had been ravaged by the sea for 200 years. 

 

May have a look myself next week.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thank you for some atmospheric photography from ANTB over the last couple of days.There’s an accomplished landscape artist ( apart from railway modeller ) behind the lens.Given me  an uplift which I can do with right now. Please keep them coming Robin. Thank you from me.

 

Very kind words from the man who remembers sepia prints and horsehair in coach seating.;) 

 

An overall view.

 

107486172_DSCN7045(2).JPG.f847a17d55abfb931a5c744804bd94ae.JPG

  • Like 12
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See what happens when the boys from Swindon do "thinking outside the box" on the new Prairie tank after the Christmas knees-up...

 

748704606_StrangeExtremeTRAINSLocomotives-PART3.jpeg.0f4bc6f9548bc54a57a37501648fb727.jpeg

 

Who said that the driving wheels have to be inside the pony and trailing wheels?

 

At least they remembered the shiny safety valve cover. 

  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Stood on the beach looking up at those concrete sections, what strikes me is the lack of character of them compared to the originals that had been ravaged by the sea for 200 years. 

Network Rail do concrete quite well, but not character.

 

 

Edited by Captain Kernow
A llama.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So the long lost missing sections of Herr Hitler's Atlantic Wall finally turn up on Dawlish Beach........

 

That new seawall looks to be a particularly fine example of 21st century "brutalist" construction, but I suppose it is entirely necessary as Mother Nature can be pretty brutal too when the mood takes her.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

See what happens when the boys from Swindon do "thinking outside the box" on the new Prairie tank after the Christmas knees-up...

 

748704606_StrangeExtremeTRAINSLocomotives-PART3.jpeg.0f4bc6f9548bc54a57a37501648fb727.jpeg

 

Who said that the driving wheels have to be inside the pony and trailing wheels?

 

At least they remembered the shiny safety valve cover. 

Hi Spams

 

I know you are cleverer than me when it comes to GWR matters so can you clear up a nagging question I have about the loco in your wonderful photo, please?

 

When they came to name the "Out Side Privy" class was the one in the photo "Dad's Office" or "Thunderbox"?  I do get them two mixed up.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.