Jump to content

A Nod To Brent - Fun , friendly, frivolity and happy days in the South Hams 1947.


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up on some decent quality etched brass fire irons sold by Brian at 247. £4 plus postage for a set as shewn here.

 

1428755952_DSCN7281(2).JPG.918197692c787042cf13b4075b14e192.JPG

 

Pity they aren't produced in 7mm, they look rather good.

  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Another kit [GWR P23 ballast wagon] released that might interest folk on here and how great is it to see a manufacturer offering the destructions as a pdf to see before purchase.

 

https://five79.co.uk/RC443/

It is Chivers Finelines. He is selling them on ebay as well

 

Mike Wiltshire

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chivers-Finelines-Five79-RC443-GWR-P23-20T-Ballast-Wagon-Kit-00-EM-P4/233720780048?hash=item366ad81510:g:hUoAAOSwUlxfaLa5

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I think there's one at Bewdley on the Severn Valley that I took a photo of last year somewhere.:rolleyes: I believe it's the P14 version of the 10 ton ballast wagon.

 

IMG_2169.JPG.f5cf73d72a4e2776ba69b0c99172a79f.jpg.869c10fd1dc024fc4ef7839e8e5bc442.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Another kit [GWR P23 ballast wagon] released that might interest folk on here and how great is it to see a manufacturer offering the destructions as a pdf to see before purchase.

 

https://five79.co.uk/RC443/

 

This is a very pleasing development, and I think I will snap up a few.

 

Does anyone know if this kit can be made into the P17 also? I have one built Ian Kirk P17 and one still yet to make, but it would be nice to bulk those out a bit. 

 

GWR modellers are quite well served with ballast vehicles at the moment, what with the Cambrian starfish P15/P18, Cambrian P22 hopper, and the Chivers P23.

 

Now all we need is for the Slaters Toplights to return to the market, and we'll be on Cloud Nine.

 

CoY

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I think there's one at Bewdley on the Severn Valley that I took a photo of last year somewhere.:rolleyes: I believe it's the P14 version of the 10 ton ballast wagon.

 

And here's a couple of P15s at Didcot (from 2013). I suspect the different interpretations of the Engineering dept livery is a deliberate ploy to confuse modellers :)

 

DSC_9896.jpg.6d4526ae07889c27ff85d6c0f03a5eec.jpg

 

DSC_9895.jpg.631cbca214fe042eca95f9bfdc68bae4.jpg

 

DSC_9906.jpg.3b3ecde4047d5847e9e8bcf890099568.jpg

 

DSC_9892.jpg.6f1debdd788c9bf0e8c9ab95e1d299d7.jpg

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like I'm going to be having a lot more work from ANTB :O 

 

Though I'm currently working in 1 to 1 scale..

 

workshop_02.jpg.c1580fc29cda8b2b78fd085b05cb0977.jpg

 

The new premises are arriving on the 30th, so 6 weeks earlier than expected, so I'm in site clearing mode (this is all the junk from the sheds).

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

The new premises are arriving on the 30th, so 6 weeks earlier than expected, so I'm in site clearing mode (this is all the junk from the sheds).

 

A good opportunity to be really ruthless and get rid of all the junk we hoard as might be useful one day.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

 

A good opportunity to be really ruthless and get rid of all the junk we hoard as might be useful one day.

 

When I replaced the other shed 8 years ago, we got rid of a ton and a half of junk that my late father thought would come in useful one day - this one was the overflow!

 

Though I've got a dozen or so classic car parts to go up on Ebay, that I discovered..

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2020 at 17:56, gwrrob said:

A heads up on some decent quality etched brass fire irons sold by Brian at 247. £4 plus postage for a set as shewn here.

 

 

 

An update to these and a heads up if you're using a blackening fluid. Make sure it's a good quality one as a cheap version leaves them flaky and needing more work whilst the Ammo by Mig burnishing fluid [as used by aircraft modellers on photo-etch] was used here to better effect.

 

fireIrons.jpg.e661718731a5dc87cd9764fce5d98dd6.jpg.e655f746891fa136d9d1c6cd8743879c.jpg

 

Photo and knowledge courtesy of @toboldlygo

Edited by gwrrob
info.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2020 at 19:19, gwrrob said:

I think there's one at Bewdley on the Severn Valley that I took a photo of last year somewhere.:rolleyes: I believe it's the P14 version of the 10 ton ballast wagon.

 

IMG_2169.JPG.f5cf73d72a4e2776ba69b0c99172a79f.jpg.869c10fd1dc024fc4ef7839e8e5bc442.jpg

 

The GWR Ballast wagons we have on the SVR are;

 

40841 (P5 of 1893)

60562 (P2 of 1900)

60906 (P14 of circa 1915)

80603 (P15 of 1935-7)

80684 (P15 of 1936-7)

80225 (P15 of 1937)

30903 (P18 of 1939)

 

If you need snaps, just browse my Flickr. I do have snaps the Didcot ones too :)

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

a heads up if you're using a blackening fluid. Make sure it's a good quality one as a cheap version leaves them flaky

I find that happens if I leave the fluid on too long. Also, letting it dry and burnishing with tissue paper gives a good finish.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

 

An update to these and a heads up if you're using a blackening fluid. Make sure it's a good quality one as a cheap version leaves them flaky and needing more work whilst the Ammo by Mig burnishing fluid [as used by aircraft modellers on photo-etch] was used here to better effect.

Photo and knowledge courtesy of @toboldlygo

 

Thanks Rob and James, good tip as I see it is available here (ref. no AMIG 2021), so I can get past the problem of overseas traders not being allowed to ship fluids.

 

Mig seems to do decent stuff in general. Like Vallejo. Kudos Espana.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's impressive weathering but exactly the opposite of what I want when I'm blackening brass etches, DG couplings for example. I want a nice smooth dull blue/black finish. First I clean the etch using a nail buffer. I pour some Carr's Metal Black (other blackening fluids are available) into a flat shallow container and immerse the etch in it for no more than 30 seconds. I then take it out, dry it by dabbing with kitchen roll, rinse it well under the cold tap and let it dry. Once it's dry polish it up with more kitchen roll. Oh, and you can re-use the Metal Black several times before it loses its effectiveness.

 

No photo of the flat etch I'm afraid but here's one of a fret's worth of made-up couplings:

2040391720_20160708001DGcouplings.JPG.3614aefe83cd67124f56468a9c398806.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's impressive weathering but exactly the opposite of what I want when I'm blackening brass etches, DG couplings for example. I want a nice smooth dull blue/black finish. First I clean the etch using a nail buffer. I pour some Carr's Metal Black (other blackening fluids are available) into a flat shallow container and immerse the etch in it for no more than 30 seconds. I then take it out, dry it by dabbing with kitchen roll, rinse it well under the cold tap and let it dry. Once it's dry polish it up with more kitchen roll. Oh, and you can re-use the Metal Black several times before it loses its effectiveness.

 

No photo of the flat etch I'm afraid but here's one of a fret's worth of made-up couplings:

2040391720_20160708001DGcouplings.JPG.3614aefe83cd67124f56468a9c398806.JPG

Hi Sainty

 

When I first saw the photo I thought it was your collection of dead flies.

  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

 

When I first saw the photo I thought it was your collection of dead flies.

Could be a visual interpretation of the Pink Panther theme:

 

Dead ant, dead ant.

Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant...

  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.