A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Rails has said the Bachmann SR 12 Ton 2+2 Planked Vent Van in GWR grey will be releasing very soon. 

Any reason why GWR has a SR built van?

The SR built vans during the war and some batches went to the GWR and some to the LMS as both railways were busy with other essential production but required more vans. It was easier for the SR to build their standard van than to rearrange their production facilities to make GWR and LMS design vans.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Rails has said the Bachmann SR 12 Ton 2+2 Planked Vent Van in GWR grey will be releasing very soon. 

During the war SR built a lot of these vans (a bit min-spec) for other railways. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Ribird said:

It's still available in small lettered SR brown livery too.

https://www.footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_90_91&products_id=2181

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So what I found for those Bachmann SR built vans:

(Probably missed one or two, which I'll edit in)

SR:

• 38-084

GWR:

• 38-083 (or A)

LMS:

• 38-080 (or A, B, C)

BR:

• 38-081 (or A, B, C) (C being weathered)
  • 38-082 (or A, B, C, D) (D being weathered)
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ribird said:

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The SR built vans during the war and some batches went to the GWR and some to the LMS as both railways were busy with other essential production but required more vans. It was easier for the SR to build their standard van than to rearrange their production facilities to make GWR and LMS design vans.

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

During the war SR built a lot of these vans (a bit min-spec) for other railways. 

Wasn't the reason that during the war imported timber was in short supply, and the Southern happened to have a huge stash?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Wasn't the reason that during the war imported timber was in short supply, and the Southern happened to have a huge stash?

Could have been. All sorts of strange things happened during the war, including the building of LMS engines by other railways.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Ribird said:

So what I found for those Bachmann SR built vans:

(Probably missed one or two, which I'll edit in)

SR:

• 38-084

GWR:

• 38-083 (or A)

LMS:

• 38-080 (or A, B, C)

BR:

• 38-081 (or A, B, C) (C being weathered)
  • 38-082 (or A, B, C, D) (D being weathered)

Talking with @BenL about the LMS version and wondering if this van really should be bauxite and not grey at all. Another thread was found that discussed this van here :

625515545_IMG_0677.JPG.c80029fab5aadba74bdc94c69067f43d(2).jpg.fc8269fb0a963bcfad57c9ffdc6a3cee.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Further research and discussion with another follower of this thread has this info gleaned from Bob Essery and Mike King.

Now to the Southern built LMS Diagram 2078 Goods vans.

The Southern Railway built 400 Covered Goods Wagons for the LMS in two lots as well as 650 of the same design for the Great Western Railway.  

The first LMS lot for 150 vehicles was built before the Great Western vans in 1942. The Great Western vans have been identified as being painted grey. somewhat lighter than the normal GW livery.

The LMS livery is not known.

The LMS used two colours for livery, grey prior to 1936 and bauxite thereafter, but as these wagons were built in 1942  at Ashford bauxite seems unlikely. The LMS would have had plenty of matters to attend too without sending paint to Asford. The Southern livery was brown so these vehicles could have been painted brown though a number of wooden-bodied vehicles were built without the benefit of paintwork on the woodwork. 

Sorry really no help at all, these LMS vans could be grey or brown. Interesting that until well after 1948 it was still possible to see LMS vans in a weathered grey body colour. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

54 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The Southern livery was brown so these vehicles could have been painted brown though a number of wooden-bodied vehicles were built without the benefit of paintwork on the woodwork. 

I humbly think that some kind of brown is the most likely possibility - not wishing to offend any LMS connoisseurs but if Precision Paints are anything to go by, LMS bauxite was pretty brown anyway, so some kind of brown whipped up by the SR might not have been too far off the official LMS goods livery. I certainly don't think the image posted by Rob above shows unpainted wood. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BenL said:

I humbly think that some kind of brown is the most likely possibility - not wishing to offend any LMS connoisseurs but if Precision Paints are anything to go by, LMS bauxite was pretty brown anyway, so some kind of brown whipped up by the SR might not have been too far off the official LMS goods livery. I certainly don't think the image posted by Rob above shows unpainted wood. 

Be really humble please, the powers that be (the MIM) have removed the Naughty Chair and finally installed a Naughty 16 Seat Rectangular Sofa instead (to allow for social distancing), in a vain attempt to clear the 25 year backlog of recipients - as Spams pretty much lived on the Naughty Chair ;) 

Besides who do you think asked one of his clients (a forum member), if they knew anything about it and then kindly allowed it to be shared on the forum  ;)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A show that I would have normally attended this weekend, would be the Hornby Magazine Great Electric Train Show. The magazine is doing a virtual show and I'm delighted and surprised the layout is featured with footage and photos taken by Trevor Jones for Hornby Magazine a few years back now as seen in some features and rolling stock used.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/nod-brent-1940s-gwr-oo-gauge

Edited by gwrrob
old age memory loss
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A show that I would have normally attended this weekend, would be the Hornby Magazine Great Electric Train Show. The magazine is doing a virtual show and I'm delighted and surprised the layout is featured with footage and photos taken by Chris Nevard a few years back now as seen in some features and rolling stock used.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/nod-brent-1940s-gwr-oo-gauge

My grandson would have insisted that we visited too, and who am I to disagree?

It would have been a pleasure to see ANTB there as well! :D

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2020 at 14:50, Limpley Stoker said:

Great to see your empire on show, especially in the postwar loco green era!

I'd actually forgot that Trevor had taken that video footage and apparently the show premieres tonight at 8pm on You Tube. Of course the layout has better scenics and engine shed now, not to mention a more appropriate livery on the Hall that was featured.

Edited by gwrrob
typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I've currently got five wagons awaiting the paint shop in various liveries including LMS grey/bauxite and GWR grey. Here's three here with the LMS van in the middle. This has used the Dapol unpainted body married to the Parkside PA16 kit chassis [LMS J hangers] with vents and buffers from Dave Franks. Having primed it in Halfords grey I should have used their oxide instead.:mellow: Cheap and cheerful, just like me.

1010300425_DSCN7283(2).JPG.d00f64564b6aa230a4f56a930eff68d7.JPG1847107641_DSCN7285(2).JPG.d0c18a650b124e4c77bb4e3e4ce37282.JPG

And then he'll expect me turn them from Reliant Regal's into a Rolls Royce Wraith's :O

• Like 1
  • Funny 1