A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me what the pipe is for on the right hand side of the footbridge. Why would there be a vent.

attachicon.gifBrent footbridge(1).jpg

Well, comparing the two sides, the post/pipe goes all the way to ground level. Hard to tell but is there an insulator on the top? Is it a power or telegraph pole??

Well, comparing the two sides, the post/pipe goes all the way to ground level. Hard to tell but is there an insulator on the top? Is it a power or telegraph pole??

Described and looks like a vent pipe on the GWR plans for Brent.

• RMweb Premium

Looks a bit like a 'redundant' Insulator from the Telegraph?

P

• RMweb Gold

I think is a vent from the drains,

Telegraph wires were run in pairs so would have had two insulators on the pole.

Mike

I'm wondering if it's an added detail and wasn't on the footbridge when built.Most close up photos are from after the war.However, I think my model should have it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

if the station wasn't on mains drainage there might be a septic tank serving the toilets under there which would need venting. Would make sense to take it high up away from passengers' noses. cant think what else would need a vent there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In South London they're called Stench Pipes... no really, there's a preserved one just round the corner from where I live, cast in Deptford in the 1850s and precisely to lift the stench up above all the nice new merchants' villas along Leigham Court Road.

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy

Stench pipes are quite common on older properties, where there was a possibility of a gas build up. On domestic properties they were topped with a sort of inverted hanging basket frame to prevent 'things' getting down the pipe and terminated about two feet above the roof line. They were permanently sealed at ground level.

• RMweb Premium

It means they went from the sewer to the roof as one continuous pipe (give or take a sealed joint or two). We have one made of asbestos - none of this cheap plastic rubbish! ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most domestic 'waste' systems still have a vent pipe and it usually is a vertical pipe that is the same pipe that the 'waste' enters from the bogs and basins. Sadly we have a very ugly one on the house wall opposite the end of our garden. However one of ours is on the outside wall facing the street and houses opposite.

Nearby there is a genuine cast iron Stench Pipe on an older part of our estate. It used to have a lovely top piece that looked like the top of The Rocket's chimney (or those on those American Paddle Boat funnels). 

What exciting things we discuss at brekkis time on ANTB.

The rainwater drain pipe from the Brent footbridge would appear to go into the same system?

Lots oif good pics herehttps://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pictures+of+historic+stench+pipes&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&imgil=6Jqya_dQ0mJ-wM%253A%253BduprPZ9QE3mQ_M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.draindomain.com%25252Fsoil%2525252520vent%2525252520pipe.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=6Jqya_dQ0mJ-wM%253A%252CduprPZ9QE3mQ_M%252C_&usg=__UxmelOUsU79MtZ4mZzXPLLiE9yI%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjWo6fwrtHMAhXrDcAKHVuDAIsQyjcIQQ&ei=XM0yV9aFA-ubgAbbhoLYCA#imgdii=paPr1ZYmFAnNWM%3A%3BpaPr1ZYmFAnNWM%3A%3BzJLN0PRgY9qX-M%3A&imgrc=paPr1ZYmFAnNWM%3A

U. Bend

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3