A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Would make sense to take it high up away from passengers' noses. cant think what else would need a vent there.

and high enough to stop naughty schoolboys from trying to set any methane alight?

Oh how I wish I could walk on those platforms in the actual location! CTMK and I had to content ourselves with walking past the site of the erstwhile, former Up station building this morning.

I agree, though you'd have missed me, as I would have been there in 1935.  

Isn't that either 12months early or 25 years too late for you? ;)

David

Fair enough, though if my RM nom de guerre was Great Western Centenary Man, I'd have a real problem in the Pre-Grouping section of the site where I mainly hang around.  As it is, I did get picked up for proposing a layout set in 1912-14!

Bit of a stupid name, on reflection [sigh] 

• RMweb Gold

Stench pipes are quite common on older properties, where there was a possibility of a gas build up. On domestic properties they were topped with a sort of inverted hanging basket frame to prevent 'things' getting down the pipe and terminated about two feet above the roof line. They were permanently sealed at ground level.

I believe you will find that Section H of the Building regulations still requires a 'stack' for various sorts of foul water (and more solid) things to find their way towards the sewer pipe and that stack requires to vent to air at the top (with a birdcage type cover).  In modern developments there is the daft idea of including the stack inside the structure - this throwing out wall dimensions and making the incorporation of things like kitchen worktops more difficult and expensive as well as making 'maintenance' access more difficult.  Accordingly when we built our house the builder was given very clear instructions to place the soil & vent pipe on the outside - which makes access much easier if needed and made kitchen etc fitting similarly simpler.

Pertinent to the vent pipe at Brent the Building regulations have long included a requirement for the top of such pipes to be a certain minimum distance above the level of adjacent roofs etc.

Fair enough, though if my RM nom de guerre was Great Western Centenary Man, I'd have a real problem in the Pre-Grouping section of the site where I mainly hang around.  As it is, I did get picked up for proposing a layout set in 1912-14!

Bit of a stupid name, on reflection [sigh]

I think it is possible to change but given you've established a strong following, why would you?

I guess "Georgian" would have covered both 1912-14 and 1935...

I think it is possible to change but given you've established a strong following, why would you?

I guess "Georgian" would have covered both 1912-14 and 1935...

Yes, but Castle Aching is set c.1901-1910, so I'd be knackerd anyway!

I believe you will find that Section H of the Building regulations still requires a 'stack' for various sorts of foul water (and more solid) things to find their way towards the sewer pipe and that stack requires to vent to air at the top (with a birdcage type cover).  In modern developments there is the daft idea of including the stack inside the structure - this throwing out wall dimensions and making the incorporation of things like kitchen worktops more difficult and expensive as well as making 'maintenance' access more difficult.  Accordingly when we built our house the builder was given very clear instructions to place the soil & vent pipe on the outside - which makes access much easier if needed and made kitchen etc fitting similarly simpler.

Pertinent to the vent pipe at Brent the Building regulations have long included a requirement for the top of such pipes to be a certain minimum distance above the level of adjacent roofs etc.

Totally correct, and how would I know ?

Yours

Mr.E.X. Building 'Spector (Retired )

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Totally correct, and how would I know ?

Yours

Mr.E.X. Building 'Spector (Retired )

Was your brother "Mad Phil"?

You did the sound walls and he did the Wall of Sound?

I'll get my coat - perhaps not cos its 40C out............

• RMweb Premium

Was your brother "Mad Phil"?

You did the sound walls and he did the Wall of Sound?

I'll get my coat - perhaps not cos its 40C out............

No, I'm 'mad Phil'. There I've been rumbled (or was that a little trumpet Deltic Horn thingy?) Now I'm going to stop spoiling Rob's lovely and sensible thread and leave you with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKFwSFxh0Y

I prefer a Castle Starting up, in fact I prefer a Castle standing still.

P

• Like 3

Most domestic 'waste' systems still have a vent pipe and it usually is a vertical pipe that is the same pipe that the 'waste' enters from the bogs and basins. Sadly we have a very ugly one on the house wall opposite the end of our garden. However one of ours is on the outside wall facing the street and houses opposite.

Nearby there is a genuine cast iron Stench Pipe on an older part of our estate. It used to have a lovely top piece that looked like the top of The Rocket's chimney (or those on those American Paddle Boat funnels). 

What exciting things we discuss at brekkis time on ANTB.

The rainwater drain pipe from the Brent footbridge would appear to go into the same system?

Our house in the UK, built in 1953 had pipes all over the outside. Houses over here generally have all pipework in the walls exiting at the roof.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I was expecting to see the pipe already installed!

Brian.

Early summer, hopefully.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A beautiful morning in Brent sees a quiet period in the down station building.

attachicon.gifDSCN8180.jpg

As a latecomer to these pages I was trying to see how your lovely station building was made as I am remaking my version of Limpley Stoke station. I suspect it is built up layers of plastic extrusions- I was rummaging around page 440 of this addictive journal but failed to find the answer!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a latecomer to these pages I was trying to see how your lovely station building was made as I am remaking my version of Limpley Stoke station. 

Are you going to include the branch platform too?  

The The Hop Pole or Wheelwrights are always good spots to contemplate the line to Mallingford.

• Like 2

Bear with me and I'll find some relevant photos, in the meantime....

post-238-0-66499700-1463058074_thumb.jpg

Wowsers!  Looks like a hot thundery afternoon, and the sun is just coming out from behind the clouds.  I can smell the wet creosote, and hear the ticking and panting of that Prairie tank.

Best pic on RMWeb 2016.  (so far :) )

>edited to include piccy<

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2