A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Where to start eh! These are terrific and very inspirational.

With the whole view of Brent now being seen, you have a lovely model railway.

Obviously, the 'photos of the Royal Duchy are an immediate hit.... But so is Tintagel speeding through.

But your little cameos with different characters really do work well.

Thanks as ever for sharing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Obviously, the 'photos of the Royal Duchy are an immediate hit.... But so is Tintagel speeding through.

Thanks for everyones kind comments.I'm still taking requests. ;)

Talking of the The Royal Duchy,does anyone know the stations it stopped at West of Exeter as I don't think it stopped here.I know it was a long winded not particularly quick service from Paddington though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In answer to your question from earlier about the Royal Duchy. This taken from the summer of 1963:

post-6981-0-73572800-1365344449.jpg

So after Newton Abbot, the first stop was Plymouth, from where it was (almost) all stations to Penzance.

Lovely to see 1368 - was this your first kit built locos? Looks very nice.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In answer to your question from earlier about the Royal Duchy. This taken from the summer of 1963:

attachicon.gifRoyal Duchy 1963-rr.jpg

So after Newton Abbot, the first stop was Plymouth, from where it was (almost) all stations to Penzance.

Lovely to see 1368 - was this your first kit built locos? Looks very nice.

It stopped at Totnes as well. ;) Yes it was my first kit built loco from the early 90s I think.Still available here http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3067 for £80.Compare that with the new Hornby 42xx.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

"Very nice 0.6.0.; on trial from further west/east old chap?" asks 'Chalky' White (the airman).

"Loads of things gets 'trials' after the war my 'andsum," responds Porter Bishop with a wry wink; ('andsum': Devon term of endearment used when addressing someone you know a little) . After the double headed castles thunder through he also comments that, "... them two Cassels will make one hell of a din when they leaves Totness - 'twill shake all them maids in the dairy 'twill".

"Maybe I'll change there next time then," retorts Chalky with a wink, " they certainly look 'sweet', the locomotives I mean, not the 'maids' ".

Quack.  

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's a close up of another 'resident' sat on the bench on the up platform.This is where you lot come in.For amusement, can anyone come up with a suitable name for him.A Dickensian name might be appropriate as used by Mikkel on his Farthing blogs.

Looks remarkably like an old photo of Ebeneezer Tidbolt that used to hang up in The Packhorse down the road. There were several Tidbolts in the village at one time, but most of 'em swore they weren't related...!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4

I've just read this thread from start to finish and I love your railway, the detailing is exquisite. May I ask what seems a trivial question... With so much detail in the scenic s, how do you keep the dust off the layout? Clearly you can't vacuum it so do you cover it with gardener's fleece or similar when not in use? Just curious because my garage is very dusty. Cheers Rich...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just read this thread from start to finish and I love your railway, the detailing is exquisite. May I ask what seems a trivial question... With so much detail in the scenic s, how do you keep the dust off the layout? Clearly you can't vacuum it so do you cover it with gardener's fleece or similar when not in use? Just curious because my garage is very dusty. Cheers Rich...

A good question Rich and yes I do use a vacuum,very carefully.You can get those mini vacs but the power isn't very good so providing you don't go mad the normal house type is perfect.Be gentle.I also have an old make up/blusher brush for rolling stock,rooves mainly.My garage is quite clean but a fleece would be a great idea.If the scenics is well glued down you won't have a problem using a vac.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The DJH kit looks very good, will have to look again after NYC. It's either that or the Comet chassis kit for a 48xx, or a wills finecast Metro! Short shopping list!

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

These new shots are excellent and I love the ones of 7804 on the milk train.

Saying that, the ones that really stand out are the ones of the 1366 class.  It's another of my favourites and the preserved example on the SDR is a hard working loco.  Like you, I'm sure once Kernow have cleared their backlog of commissions this will be high on the agenda owing to the Wenford Bridge links.

Your DJH model is nicely built and I'm sure I read they were trialled on the South Devon branchlines-then again I may need to check my reference source :D.

The BR period shots of the Castles are good and allow a change. Perhaps this may be an avenue to explore with a few hydraulics making an appearance too.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

Saying that, the ones that really stand out are the ones of the 1360 class.  It's another of my favourites and the preserved example on the SDR is a hard working loco.  Like you, I'm sure once Kernow have cleared their backlog of commissions this will be high on the agenda owing to the Wenford Bridge links.

Your DJH model is nicely built and I'm sure I read they were trialled on the South Devon branchlines-then again I may need to check my reference source :D.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.Yes the 1366 class made it to Wadebridge so thats an excuse for Kernow to commission one.Here's 1369 at Buckfastleigh.They definitely never worked the Kingsbridge branch. :mosking:

post-126-0-10515700-1365366286.jpg

post-126-0-46520000-1365622339_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice shot Robin.

Is it me or should the front ot the tanks be painted black or were the 1366 Class different to other Pannier classes?

Here's my take on the subject:

post-7584-0-99106700-1365367217_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice shot Robin.

Is it me or should the front ot the tanks be painted black or were the 1360 Class different to other Pannier classes?

Here's my take on the subject:

attachicon.gifgallery_7584_883_68457.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

Looks like it out with my paintbrush because I can't believe the boys at the SDR would be wrong.Thanks for pointing out my mistake. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it out with my paintbrush because I can't believe the boys at the SDR would be wrong.Thanks for pointing out my mistake. ;)

No, no, no Robin! :D

I think the SDR have got it wrong.

Perhaps one of the GWR experts on here could clarify this?

In the meantime keep that green paint tin closed! :)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Fig 476 in Russell shows 1366 outside the works in 1934. It does look like the front of the tanks is green and the smokebox door and surround are black, just as the SDR example. The safety valve bonnet is, however, green. Definitely different from the usual pannier livery.

Nick

• Like 3

Hi Gents,

The couple of black and white images in the new Pannier Papers No.6 seem to indicate the tank ends as being painted black in Great Western livery. I should imagine original colour photo's of the 1366's in GW Green are very thin on the ground.

That DJH kit sure does scrub up well Rob..........and seen as three visited Newton Works during the late 1950's, could I justify one?

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 3

I'm sure I've seen at least another non-1366 preserved Pannier with incorrectly painted tank fronts.

Regarding safety valves on 'ordinary passenger and goods locos', it seems Swindon didn't always follow the official party line, which was to a paint them green after 1922.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think a safe way re 1366 Class at Brent is, never say never!

Quack.

P.S. Love the riverside shot - 'mazin'

P.P.S. Think it's about time 'Wally' joined in this thread (R.A. Watson). He be a proper Janner whereas I'm an ex Janner and have forgotten most of my native language, except of course for' Bleddy Argyle, they's bleddy rubbish') 

Oh, do I hear a Grange?

• Like 1