A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Can we have that one again, but in colour?

Well said, Glenn. It is my belief that if the great railway photographers of the past had had affordable and practicable colour film - meaning a film speed that was usable - they would have used it every time. The world is in colour. We see in colour. Rob's railway is in glorious colour. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A beautiful sunny morning in the South Hams as driver Ron Canham prepares to take 5551 to Kingsbridge.

attachicon.gif5551 waits for the off..jpg

Thanks to Stubby47 (Stu) for the help with the background.

I've just been down to the village, and you've captured the weather conditions exactly!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well said, Glenn. It is my belief that if the great railway photographers of the past had had affordable and practicable colour film - meaning a film speed that was usable - they would have used it every time. The world is in colour. We see in colour. Rob's railway is in glorious colour. 

That's probably true Ian, but they didn't - so most photos of steam railways are in black and white. Somehow my eyes expect to see that, so a black and white shot often looks more realistic to me than a colour one. The most striking example of this that I remember was Hursley by Martin Welch.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see some new angles Rob.

An N Class would look nice there...

Always happy to shew the work of Graham and Glenn on a down stopping train from Newton featuring N class 1848.

post-126-0-23103400-1463225652_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Always happy to shew the work of Graham and Glenn on a down stopping train from Newton featuring N class 1848.

attachicon.gifDSCN8260.jpg

and it gives Zach Plunkett the chance to discuss the merits of using Kadee couplings between coaches.

post-126-0-89956000-1463226624_thumb.jpg

Yes, the coaches are in the correct order.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure the coaches are in the right order?

Which one is the brake composite?

We've been here before.From the engine we have 6592,2802,5688 and 2803.

• RMweb Gold

Dai Version perhaps?

Ah yes.

The Rhondda Valley Highways Officer. Wondered when he would crop up. Famous for his route planning. Often to be seen drinking in the Porth Municipal Workingmens Institute drinking a pint of Hancocks best with the local garage owner, Dai Wrecked.

• RMweb Gold

The name Dai puts me in mind of the small town of Costanite.

Bobby Vee went there once - he was told to ask for Dai. He went in the pub and asked for Dai. "Which one" said Dai the Barman. We have Dai the butcher, Dai the painter, Dai the taxi.....

Bobby wrote a song about his experiences

"Costanite has a thousand Dai s"

OK, OK , I knew that's how it would be. I typed it with my coat on - I'm going now....

• RMweb Premium

Is that green coach thing a diversion Rob?

P

No the green coach at the weekend means that Bus Replacement Service is on...........

• RMweb Premium

The Rhondda Valley Highways Officer. Wondered when he would crop up. Famous for his route planning. Often to be seen drinking in the Porth Municipal Workingmens Institute drinking a pint of Hancocks best with the local garage owner, Dai Wrecked.

Any relation to the Welsh / French comedian?

You know,  Dai La Fin..

• RMweb Gold

Is it me or is Minnie Finching, seated with her back towards us on the right, breaking wind ?

post-14122-0-09669100-1463247680.jpg

Edited by nhy581