A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

http://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/info_773.html

Its 27mm diameter.A bit too large for my liking.Yes I thought you might like 7812.

Thanks Robin,

Yes that is a bit big and would need some serious modification to get the palm in too. I think the scratch built option will be best.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As fro the cordylines I'd go with DAS modelling clay too.

I see they stock Das in my local The Range store ,so will get some tomorrow and have a go .Never used it before but not happy with the ones I've done and the photos I'm posting are showing them up badly as Trains and Armour commented a few pages back.Though not in as many words. :mosking:                                       

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I see they stock Das in my local The Range store ,so will get some tomorrow and have a go .Never used it before but not happy with the ones I've done and the photos I'm posting are showing them up badly as Trains and Armour commented a few pages back.Though not in as many words. :mosking:                                       

Ah! The Range-a good Devon based company hauled all the way to the Midlands by Kay Transport.  I use The Range in Corby quite a bit. Used to use the one in Exeter previously.  Really good for art materials etc.

I've recently had shares in DAS as you'll see shortly in a new layout/blog thread. DAS is better than Milliput for this type of modelling as it's easy to use straight from the pack and it has a good working time too before it starts going hard.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

About how long then ?

From my recent escapades with DAS I'd say 15-20 mins though its still workable then but has tended to develop a skin on the surface affecting its plyability. I wore latex gloves whilst using it to-though not because you have to. Just because its easier to clean up afterwards.

Also you can wet it to smooth the surface and I guess increase the working time.

I'd certainly try this before Milliput Robin. It's easier to work with.

Nice video too. ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Did Florence cop that castle Rob?

Quonk.

Both of the Finching sisters don't possess an ABC so no. ;) Is the summer of '47 and Ian Allan hadn't invented his guide yet.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Lovely 'photo of KGV No 6000 4-6-0 standing at the end of the Platform at Brent, facing east - 3rd April 1931 Page 11 of Peto's GW locos: the Kings. Might we see that replicated..... 

Will the Finching sisters cope? :sungum:

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I still think you should have a King on that layout it crying out for one, ho and don't forget the CRE headboard either. :sungum: 

81C

Quite correct 81C but do you know where I can get one from ? I've got the headboard.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably they would have differed little over the years? Fox are advertising them as BR, they must also be GWR?

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/products.cgi?categoryid=469&ordernumber=86068619582

Edit: before anyone pulls me to pieces, i should have known better! They changed completely over the years, as a quick look through "Great way West" by David st. john Thomas shows!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

I thought I'd show you one of my mistakes. :O This is what happens if you renumber a loco without proper research.I know 4540 worked the Kingsbridge branch but what I didn't know was its outside steam pipes were fitted in 1951.I'm hoping the plates come off easily without damage.I found this info in the RCTS part nine I purchased to research the 72xx class.You live and learn.

As an aside, where were the steam pipes before they fitted outside ones?

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Rob. The 'milk' was a train I used to wait for beside the cutting at Mutley Tunnel before catching the bus home from Mutley Plain back in the good old days (59/60/61)

Quack 

At the time you probably didn't know how 'lucky' you were.I wasn't even a twinkle in the old man's eye then but he would have loved it too.

• Like 2

Guest jonte

Delightful, Rob.

Truly magnificent. A "yes please!" from me re the more locos offer. Beautiful models.

Thanks for sharing, 

Jonte

P.S. Pushing my luck here, but any chance of another vid. please? I've almost worn out the 'replay' button of your last epic!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Delightful, Rob.

Truly magnificent. A "yes please!" from me re the more locos offer. Beautiful models.

Thanks for sharing, 

Jonte

P.S. Pushing my luck here, but any chance of another vid. please? I've almost worn out the 'replay' button of your last epic!

Thanks Jonte.Here's another,3864 this time from a couple of years ago now also shown on the 28xx/38xx thread.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Incidently whilst looking for something else, I stumbled across this 2008 photo I took of the embankment being created that you see now in post 224 etc.Nothing special.Just using polystyrene blocks and mod roc very messily.

Those with a sharp eye will notice in the background is my old Triang booking office in use as a station building.I had that back in the early 70s.Over the far side are my storage sidings/fiddle yard.

post-126-0-77203900-1365873064_thumb.jpg

• Like 6