A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I'm a bit concerned about needing a Doctor to attend to the good lady Booking Clerk.  A chap i used to work with had some good few years previously paid a visit to an old friend who by then happened to be the Stationmaster at Blaengwynfi and arrived to find the place seemingly deserted (it was during opening hours).  However after some searching around the station building and various offices he duly came across the Stationmaster in the process of 'attending to' the lady(?) Booking Clerk - across his desk.

Sure beats the back set in an Austin Seven; outside the station too!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Down in South Wales, in a place with a lot of sand dunes, the area manager was quite close with his secretary, and another member of staff on the shed was very fond of animals, he was known to everyone as "Morgan, the Margam Mountain mutton mounter".

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit concerned about needing a Doctor to attend to the good lady Booking Clerk.  A chap i used to work with had some good few years previously paid a visit to an old friend who by then happened to be the Stationmaster at Blaengwynfi and arrived to find the place seemingly deserted (it was during opening hours).  However after some searching around the station building and various offices he duly came across the Stationmaster in the process of 'attending to' the lady(?) Booking Clerk - across his desk.

I trust it was "the Stationmaster" and not "The Stationmaster".

Yes,we've all been there Mike.....

Speak for yourself...

• RMweb Premium

And it wasn't restricted to the Welsh Marches, either. The SM at Dorking was definitely busy with the chief clerk - a war widow - on more than checking accounts. At Margate the desk in the parcels office once collapsed, mainly because the lady clerk there and the SM had been giving it a hard time over some years. At Sole Street, every few Thursdays the Ganger's wife would come down for some quality time with the Leading Railman, for which purpose they borrowed the former SM's office. One RDR SM was believed to have a lady-friend near every station he relieved at. He was also passionate about Blackpool trams!

Where there's a will(y) there's a way, as they say. 

You seem to be remarkably well-informed Ian.

It was an open secret when I was on the railway that more than one senior manager in the M&EE department was up to the same sort of thing - to the extent that one in particularity had the initials "T C" added to that which he was given by his parents.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I trust it was "the Stationmaster" and not "The Stationmaster".

It was indeed 'the' and not 'The' - and we'll exclude reference to BR motor vehicles in this thread.

Down in South Wales, in a place with a lot of sand dunes, the area manager was quite close with his secretary, and another member of staff on the shed was very fond of animals, he was known to everyone as "Morgan, the Margam Mountain mutton mounter".

And all the yard staff at that end used to gather on the hump to watch proceedings as said Area Manager had a habit of 'forgetting' to close the office window blinds prior to the start of the day's performance. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always thought it was odd the way he'd turn up at a retirement do at the BRSA with her in tow rather than the missus.(sorry,rob, I'm starting to go way off track)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could this be the local version of 'Banksy?' Found on the girders of the west-end road bridge over the railway at Brent station. Can you identify the subject? He is wanted by South Hams Police for not finishing his sausage and mash in the 'Royal Oak' in 1964.

It's been there long enough to start going rusty, at any rate:

post-57-0-96270600-1489422390_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I wish there was a 4575 prairie tank in this view, taken this afternoon.

Please note the recent cutting back of vegetation by Network Rail:

attachicon.gifBrent station site.jpg

I read that too quickly and thought it said "....cutting back the Network by vegetation rail....".

Must go to sexpavers, again.

S. Pecs

• RMweb Gold

Can I have some stock id please.

attachicon.gif0009.jpg

Copyright Hugh Ballantyne.

Not 100% on the first but it may be a Hawksworth non corridor brake 3rd to diagram D132.

The second is a Collett corridor brake composite to diagram E152/3.

Don't think anyone makes a kit of the first but Comet do the second (W44)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wish there was a 4575 prairie tank in this view, taken this afternoon.

Please note the recent cutting back of vegetation by Network Rail:

attachicon.gifBrent station site.jpg

I see the ####### GWR are at it again (experimental gauge stuff). Can't even weather their track proper either.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

The weathering looks very convincing although a few years later, dirt would predominate if you are to believe all those photos from the sixties.  I( could never bring myself to weather anything; one reason, I couldn't do it very well and the thought of making a mess of locos and stock, turned me off.  Also I think it stems from when I was told to look after my toys and not ruin them.  Anyway you never see toy trains that are weathered! :paint:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1