A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Pipes but was it not confirmed by a Hornby rep at Warley(?) that it will come without?

I've always said that 2017 will be the most expensive year for a while in terms of purchases...

CoY

You think having probably left China by now that a more up to date website illustration be shewn.We've been here before with a 28xx .

• RMweb Gold

Not had chance to take many but here's a few this afternoon.

attachicon.gifDSCN0221.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0222.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0223.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0224.jpg

Bang on!

I thought for a moment a pod of dolphins had run aground, should have gone to specsavers.

..........no particular place to go. RIP CB

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Premium

Rob are you getting a Hattons 14xx? I received my 1450 1420 this morning; a delight!

CoY

P.s Knight of St.Patrick is now showing up on the Hornby inbound radar...

Is 1450 worth getting? I have one on order and have been told it is ready but my card has' failed' (old card from years ago) and I have two weeks to take it or then lose it.

I have been reading that the 14XX isn't that brilliant.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Is 1450 worth getting? I have one on order and have been told it is ready but my card has' failed' (old card from years ago) and I have two weeks to take it or then lose it.

Phil

It's had mixed reviews and although I don't have much work requirements for one I'm still getting a 4870.It will look great approaching Tigley from this angle.

post-126-0-58040400-1489950614_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Phil, the bodywork is absolutely superb on them. The numberplate being sunken into the bodywork is perhaps an 'acquired taste'. The chassis looks pretty good to, although there is no ashpan.

What will determine it for me is the running. Straight out of the box, mine was reasonably smooth on DC over a short distance, but not at a crawl.

DHM recommend lubrication and then proper running in, so that's what I'm going to do, and if it's OK after that, it won't need to go back to Hattons or have an etched chassis kit built and fitted instead.

• RMweb Gold

I was asked recently about my lineside huts and here's one of mine close up.Hornby Skaledale although Ratio also do a kit.

attachicon.gifDSCN0229.jpg

A classic Thunderbox.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Phil

I agree with the good captain. Stunning bodywork and mine is an excellent runner (after recommended oiling and running in). For under a ton I think it is a relative bargain.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent - we used to go to watch them regularly when Oxford was included in their circuit of performances.  There were even some people in the audience who actually thought they were women - weird.

You mean... they were... blokes?????

Indeed it is but the tender is of no use at all for us post-war modelers. They are also doing the Hornby Railroad hall at exactly a tenner less which with the Collett tender gives many more re livery and renaming options but the body lacks much of the finesse of the Bachmann Hall. 

Bachmann Hall - Great body / lightweight motor and chassis

Hornby Hall - Less detailed body / good motor and chassis

I suppose it depends on what you look for in a model. Are you tempted Rob? 

This is bloody good value also, what with the new Shirtbutton Colletts to come out at £45 RRP (£40 from box shifters) so you're effectively getting the King for £50! I have had to rethink my King procurement strategy what with the effective dropping of the Hattons edition. 

Excellent quality RTR at these prices - but for how much longer? 

CoY

• RMweb Gold

You think having probably left China by now that a more up to date website illustration be shewn.We've been here before with a 28xx .

Graham Muz of this parish is going to ask again at Ally Pally.I'm not ordering one till it's confirmed.

• RMweb Gold

Graham Muz of this parish is going to ask again at Ally Pally.I'm not ordering one till it's confirmed.

I've given up waiting now and bought a second hand BR release off eBay. It will now be stripped down, have the smokebox plate removed and then end up in wartime black (with no names) as 4025.

Hopefully should be painted over the weekend.....