Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

There are some general rules on keying , where breaking was common keys would be arranged so that the breaking action would tighten the keys, similarly on a slope the keys were on the up side. However if the ganagers found keys were working loose too quickly they could try them from the other side. It was down to the local PW gang who had a vested interest in the not working loose too quickly. So I wouldn't get too upset if someone says you have them in wrong. I do usually try to have the opposite hands on any one sleeper so the keys is from the same direction.

Don

Thanks Don - I've been chair and key spotting from the armchair looking at photos of the area. My conclusions are that the 'alternate L/R on single lines' rule was a very nice idea but one that was nowhere near religiously followed on the ground for the reasons you state. There's examples of LLLRRLRRRRLL LLRRLLLR and so on and so on! I'm starting to wonder if i'm better going for the approach of randomly picking chairs out of a mixed LR pot?! 

Thanks Don - I've been chair and key spotting from the armchair looking at photos of the area. My conclusions are that the 'alternate L/R on single lines' rule was a very nice idea but one that was nowhere near religiously followed on the ground for the reasons you state. There's examples of LLLRRLRRRRLL LLRRLLLR and so on and so on! I'm starting to wonder if i'm better going for the approach of randomly picking chairs out of a mixed LR pot?! 

But the keychair counter will say - no, you got it wrong - it should be LLLRRLRRLRLLLLRRLLLR  :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

Mike and Paul, I've got to ask... Why is the 10 push disk yellow? It's been puzzling me and I've not found an answer in my book on SR signaling.

A yellow disk allows trains to pass it at danger for routes to which it does not apply. In your case trains can shunt into the neck with the signal at danger but need it to be cleared for moves into the platform line.

hth

• RMweb Premium

A yellow disk allows trains to pass it at danger for routes to which it does not apply. In your case trains can shunt into the neck with the signal at danger but need it to be cleared for moves into the platform line.

hth

Thanks chap - think I've got it. 

• RMweb Premium

Finally got around to working out the cutting list for the board construction.

After a few attempts to get all the bits to fit nicely this evening, this is what I've come up with for each of the scenic boards (so that's 3 sheets of 8' x 4' x 1/4" birch ply):

post-6675-0-24144500-1394483758.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If all the sides are either 1000 or 960, some will need trimming by 1/4 inch each end...

You'd think that wouldn't you Stu, but I have a cunning plan...

(The clue is in the two bits that are non-standard 80mm or 160mm deep)

• RMweb Premium

If all the sides are either 1000 or 960, some will need trimming by 1/4 inch each end...

OK, so some bits will need trimming but the amount will depend on how thick the wooden spacers are. I was going to try and work it out in advance but decided to trim to suit in-situ.

Hopefully the cross-section and plan below will clarify things a little:

post-6675-0-47995800-1394489094_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-44970900-1394489095.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK, so some bits will need trimming but the amount will depend on how thick the wooden spacers are. I was going to try and work it out in advance but decided to trim to suit in-situ.

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_03 Mar. 10 21.57.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_02 Mar. 10 21.57.jpg

I'd say that you had too much time on your hands......

Ohhh but you have........

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I'd say that you had too much time on your hands......

Ohhh but you have........

Andy

It's the vast amount of time I've now got having given up bitter and red wine for lent... 

You could have built a layout by now Banks if you'd done the same ;-p

Have you ordered the splinters?

:blum: I have a box of assorted splinters which I can dig out for you, several wrong-ends of sticks and a large bag of things measured just once before cutting; you`re welcome to them all; absolutely gratis! :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

:blum:  a large bag of things measured just once before cutting; you`re welcome to them all; absolutely gratis! :mosking:

Mmm, been there too - hence why I've spent a little time working out how to get all the bits I need out of the sheets of ply.

Thanks Debs, could do with some more splitters, the fingers have none in at the moment. 

• RMweb Gold

On a more sane note I rub down the edges of plywood with some sandpaper IMMEDIATELY after cutting hopefully before I get too many splinters. I does seem to make a difference.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Ok, I admit I was wrong - apart from one green and one orange, ALL the pieces will need trimming !!

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I admit I was wrong - apart from one green and one orange, ALL the pieces will need trimming !!

1 green, 1 orange and 2 blue don't need trimming actually!

I felt that leaving the other bits over-length was safer - their adjustments will depend on the actual thickness of the blocks and the ply. Oh, and I may change my mind on the design!

• Like 1

:blum: I have a box of assorted splinters which I can dig out for you, several wrong-ends of sticks and a large bag of things measured just once before cutting; you`re welcome to them all; absolutely gratis! :mosking:

And unless you're going for all glued construction I can let you have a couple of packets of left-over holes... ;-)

David

• RMweb Premium

And unless you're going for all glued construction I can let you have a couple of packets of left-over holes... ;-)

David

Very generous David - I will need a few holes. What diameter are they?