Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've been a 4mm modeller all my modelling life. My interests started with the LMS, as my first HST trainset failed to work and a Duchess set was the only available alternative. The majority of this time though has seen my interests end up in the SW on England, modelling and learning about the Southern's Withered Arm. Treneglos (see link in my signature), built along with Damian and John was a result of this interest. 

Treneglos was built 10 years ago and since then I've collected more suitable 00 stock, got suitably diverted working on various other projects (DitD, Outlaw and BCB) but have totally failed to build my own dream BR(S) terminus layout set in North Cornwall. Work has been and will continue to take a shed load of time and therefore I've come to the conclusion I need to aim at a smaller more achievable project until time is less of an issue. 

I toyed with the idea of something in 4mm based on Lyme Regis, and that's still attractive but didn't quite hit the spot. Over the last year I noticed I was spending more time looking at the Slaters and Parkside 7mm wagon kits. Then last year I accidentally bought a Slaters kit for an open shock wagon. Expectations were high. Reality was more of a disappointment, but I was was relieved when David Siddall found the same in his early posts.

At Christmas I was fortunate enough to be bought some Parkside wagon kits by the in-laws (thanks Mike and Joan). These were much better - the mouldings were crisper, the parts fitted better and the range included a SR brake van. Nice. 

Since then thoughts have been turning to something based on the Bodmin / Wenford / Wadebridge neck of the woods. Something involving slate or clay, a Beattie Well Tank, a Bulleid or Maunsell BCK and, perhaps much later, an O2. 

The main learning point is that moving to 7mm is almost like starting out in railway modelling all over again. Finding the suppliers, working through different standards and getting your head around size / scale.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well that beer I was going to buy you at Alley Palley will now have to wait till the Telford "O" Gauge bash in September normally a reasonable real ale on sale

Good luck with 7mm

Eltel

• Like 2

Welcome aboard.

Your right it is like starting all over again and finding your feet. One thing I wasn't prepared for is there is some rubbish stuff available and I thought O gauge was all about the extra detail, but once you've started I don't think there's any going back.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard.

Your right it is like starting all over again and finding your feet. One thing I wasn't prepared for is there is some rubbish stuff available and I thought O gauge was all about the extra detail, but once you've started I don't think there's any going back.

Thanks Steve

I also got caught out by the assumption that everything 7mm would be better because it was bigger and more expensive than 4mm. I was heartily disappointed by the Slaters kit and have realised, having read threads on here, that there's things that need working on even on the better kits. The problem with 7mm is that, because it's bigger, the errors are more noticeable. 

Trying to get my head around track at the moment. Almost bought a length of PECO flexi at the last show but forgot. Now contemplating knocking up a length of C&L. Still scared of building points, but hopefully it's easier in the senior scale, better for my naff soldering. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well that beer I was going to buy you at Alley Palley will now have to wait till the Telford "O" Gauge bash in September normally a reasonable real ale on sale

Good luck with 7mm

Eltel

Drop the pint off on the way back up country Terry!

Chris,

You will need to ask questions before you start any projects.  For example, I enjoy building Slaters GUVs and CCTs, but didn't get on too well with the Maunsell / Lynes coaches.  A strange plastic, a bit like a toasted cheese sandwich.

Bill

Oh yes! 

Two main questions at the moment: which track and SR coaching stock?

C & L, and Slaters. Building the Maunsells was covered in an MRJ a couple of years ago, the GUV, PMV and Van B and C  are excellent.

Mike

P.S. Big fan of Treneglos, you are going to do something inspirational in 7mm

Edited by durham light infantry
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C & L, and Slaters. Building the Maunsells was covered in an MRJ a couple of years ago, the GUV, PMV and Van B and C  are excellent.

Mike

P.S. Big fan of Treneglos, you are going to do something inspirational in 7mm

Thank you. 

Following this......

I got interested because the scale might be better for both my eyes and my stubby, calloused fingertips - not sure whether to try 1/48 US or 7mm UK. Finescale, 1/48 models are like hens teeth locally....and all the road models are 1/43 (why)?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome along Pete!

Morning folks,

My original plan for this weekend was to pop over to the C&L stand at the Ally Pally show and get a few trial bits and bobs. Unfortunately I'm working this weekend and can't attend the show with BCB. Thankfully Damian has gone along and I've decided to ring an order through to him whilst he's at the show...

Like Mr Siddall, I've concluded that a C&L Turnout in a Bag is a good place to start as it includes just about everything and the roller gauges. A B6 seems to be a good choice and should be usable in my cunning plan.

I'm also toying with the idea of ordering some track but I'm torn between going for a box of 8 lengths of flexi (F7STR) or getting the component parts 8'6" sleepers (7SL101A), 3 bolt chairs (7CH101A), rail (7RA101A) and 60' panel template. Any advice?

Oh and a stupid question - roughly how many sleepers are there in a 1m length of (60' panel) track? I'm trying to get a measure on how much track a bag of 100 sleepers will build....

I'll also order two sets of Slaters spoked wagon wheels - the Parkside kits I'm building have been packed with 3-hole disc but my reference shots show they should really be spoked. 

• Like 1

I think 100 sleepers should do about four panels (from memory, don't shoot me etc etc) although I don't have SR track specs to hand.

I spent about 10 years doing 7mm, inspired by Hursley and Ditchling Green (try and get a copy of MRJ 50 if you don't already have it) but gave up when I concluded I didn't have enough space. The stock went to my father, who built Chagford, which was lovely. Nowadays wondering about getting some of the stock back and doing a 7mm micro.

Beware skytrex wagons - fine for garden layouts (30ft rule) but not so good for up close. 

As I'm sure you've realised, some things work just so much better in 7mm, like three link couplings and sprung buffers. but beware, texture becomes incredibly important - far to many 7mm layouts have beautiful stock but crude surroundings  (IMHO)

Edited by Jon Gwinnett
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

At about 2ft 6ins between sleepers it works out at 50 per metre. The flexi track doesn't have chair detail so in station areas where it often means cutting up small pieces between turnout I would make up the track from parts but perhaps use the flexi track for long runs.

Welcome to 0 gauge.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks folks.

The fag packet plan I have at the moment has sort of ended up a bit Ditchling Greenish. 6 Turnouts fitted in a 3'x12' (max) scenic section. I'm having a play with the C&L templates in AnyRail but it's taking a bit of time getting my head around the difference in scale! Oh and working out AnyRail and getting points not on baseboard joints!

I'm using B6 turnouts as a starting point - does this sound about right for locos like the Beattie Well Tank and O2? The biggest item of stock is likely to be a Bulleid or Maunsell BCK coach.

...roughly how many sleepers are there in a 1m length of (60' panel) track? I'm trying to get a measure on how much track a bag of 100 sleepers will build....

Um... the real track experts would know but I had to go upstairs and count them. 2 x Timbertracks 60' panels (just over 1m) = 52 sleepers.

Still reeling slightly from the citation but as my middle daughter frequently reminds me... "Most things are your fault Dad, even if they aren't!" :-)

However... since your new project will undoubtedly be awash with all the atmosphere and superbly observed modelling of Treneglos it'll be a compulsive and inspiring 'follow'. Nuff said really... :-)

David

PS... (and here comes the heresy)... on a compact branch layout which'll only feature short wheelbase motive power you might like to try A5 turnouts rather than B6s?

Edited by David Siddall
  • Like 2

You may find joining the Gauge O Guild useful.

One of the big struggles I found when I started playing in 7mm was the lack of traders I could find, then I found this useful list: http://www.gauge0guild.com/x-links.asp

However, one of the big Guild shows is a great discovery to find out just what is available - Kettering and Telford should both be within your reach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to be a bit picky.......

It is actually 343/64ths bigger (5.36 times bigger not 1.75 times). That's what makes such a difference to  the level of detail.

Hursley was, I think, the first time that I ever saw a photo of a layout that one could confuse with a picture of the real thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to be a bit picky.......

It is actually 343/64ths bigger (5.36 times bigger not 1.75 times). That's what makes such a difference to  the level of detail.

Hursley was, I think, the first time that I ever saw a photo of a layout that one could confuse with a picture of the real thing.

The 7/4 was a reference to me normally working in 4mm and this project being 7mm... Slightly confused with your 5.36 multiple as the SR Diag 1428 wagon I'm currently building is not even twice the size of the 00 Bachmann RTR version - it's certainly not 5.36 the size!. I've subtly adjusted the title to clarify...

Totally agree about Hursley - I'm sure that MRJ poster was up in many, many clubrooms and modelling dens for years.

but you cannot shunt the 58' coaches through the crossovers.

Due to buffer locking?

welcome to the world of 7mm, I'm sure you'll find it a very interesting scale with many possibilities to work in. To second what cromptonnut said, check out the 0 Gauge guild, all you need to know about this scale can be discovered via this Guild.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1