Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

I have taken to Padstow. We are in an apartment above the tourist information and looking out over the town and the estuary. This is a buefiful place. We loved st Ives two years ago ( don't ask about our visit to St Ives over 21 years ago with a 1 year old... worst holiday ever...

WE went to St Ives today for the day (a long way I know) because the girls wanted to be reminded of that holiday 2 years ago. Wow after the quire beauty of padstow, I though we had gone to Blackpool.

NIpped into Perrenport on the way back. I had remembered it from a camping holiday 40 years ago. What a beach. 7pm at night and the beach is bustling with people, dogs and BBQ.s

back in Padstow tonight, very peaceful

Andy

Padstow, and North Cornwall in general, has always been quieter than the Riviera side, not least due to the rugged coastline. My parents had discovered Port Isaac in WW2, and if dad were on leave from the Navy, would slip down there for a few days. C21 Port Wenn, as it is fictionally now known, is a lot busier!

I first reached Padstow about 1960, on the ferry from Rock, where the rest of the family was picnicking on the beach. I hadn’t worn shoes, so didn’t get far into the town! My second visit was 1965, on a WR demu, but I didn’t leave the station. In the early 80s Deb and I visited, and I saw Branchline to Padstow in a shop window, bought it and we repaired to The London Inn while I looked through the book. Deb drank pints out of straight glasses, so was very much at home in a pub!

Sherry and I dropped in 18 months ago. We were staying near Pencarrow House, had been to see John Greenwood’s marvellous Wadebridge layout on display at the Betjeman Centre there. Even Rick Stein’s multiple presences have failed to take the essential Padstow out of this unassuming little town.

• Like 6