Gone but not forgotten

AMJ

Just spotted the reference to Mac's Model Railroads in Helensburgh above.  I worked with the proprietor, Bernie, before he retired from the Navy.  Only visited the shop a few times as I had transferred down to Bath before it opened, and only got back to the area infrequently. 

When I lived in Scotland, I used to visit the Argyll Model Dockyard, under the Scotsmans umbrella on Argyll Street, Glasgow, and another model shop  further up the street near Tollcross.

Also remember The Modellers Den (TMD) and Eric Snooks in Bath, Stoud-Sims in Silver Street, Trowbridge, and Froude&Hext in Swindon.

Oh, and Pleasures toy shop in Warminster, an offshoot of Paynes newsagents!

Eric Snooks only closed last April.

Also Victors, up the hill from King's Cross but originally a corner of Bernie Victor's record shop. It was the cupboard under the stairs, I think, stuffed full of blue box Athearn and Roundhouse. My first visit was looking for really old style freightcars because I wanted to do a Wild West layout. (CJL)

When I knew Victors it was all models and an easy lunch time walk for me when I worked in Islington in the later 1990s. The shop window was full of models in boxes that had turned yellow with exposure to sunlight, but inside was packed full of mainly HO stock.  It's where I finally tracked down an Ahern RDC (plus bogie gearbox kit). The boss (presumably Bernie Victor) always seemed to be upstairs. There were 2 assistants and lets say the speed at which your enquiry or purchase was dealt with depended on which one you got. :-)

• Like 1

Was there a branch of Zodiac in Ilford ? During my first few months of BR service, in January 1979, I attended a training course at the Ilford school and bought a Hornby Prestwin wagon on the way there one morning, for which Zodiac rings a bell somehow.

• RMweb Premium

There was a Zodiac Toys in Chichester many years ago that stocked some Hornby.  Unfortunately it effectively killed off the wonderful independent Martletts Toys in North Street that had everything you could possibly want toy wise (best selection of Lego in the area!) and a good selection of Hornby and Dapol upstairs including scenic stuff, track, etc.  Bought a single bogie drive Dapol 150 from there before I realised how bad a model that thing actually was...

Nearby in Bognor you had Gamleys (branches across the south in fact) and their Model Railway department was also pretty good too.  All sadly gone although a toy shop does still exist in the same premises where Zodiac Toys was in Chichester.

City Models in Liverpool and Jerry - a Dutch gentleman.  I recall he had his first shop on Dale Street in Liverpool centre.  And odd shop with acres of space and odd display cabinets.  Seem to think the shop had been an aquarium shop in a previous life as it had all appearance of such a place, and not helped by dark blue walls.  Then he moved up to close by Central Station.  A very small shop and I remember it was always crowded three deep with customers.  That site was then demolished for redevelopment and he moved to Stanley Street down the stairs where he and his assistant Paul gave everyone a warm welcome.  And you could get your hair cut next to the shop.  It was a favourite lunch time stroll from the office and a chance to catch up with the gossip with other modellers, also out for a stroll.  I recall Gerry also would stand behind the counter in Stanley Street always building another kit.   Another side to his skills was that he ran (including chef-ing) an excellent restaurant in the evenings in Tranmere over the Mersey from Liverpool.  A lovely man.     

• Like 1

Nearby in Bognor you had Gamleys (branches across the south in fact) and their Model Railway department was also pretty good too.  All sadly gone although a toy shop does still exist in the same premises where Zodiac Toys was in Chichester.

I remember the Gamleys in Sutton. It had a huge (to my child's eyes) model section in the basement. 

For those in their twilight years, Gamages Department Store in Holborn, London claimed it was the World's most famous Model Shop, and from about mid-October until the New Year, had a newly built exhibition model railway that covered about 1000sq ft and which you had to pay an entrance fee. It was built adjacent to the store's Toy Department and always featured LIONEL O-Gauge USA trains. Each year whilst the new layout was being constructed, that area of the store was sealed off until the first day when the television companies would be granted access for a feature on the London TV News.

The Department Store usually advertised it in the Meccano Magazine in the 1950's as "Gamages Mammoth Model Railway, the Largest of its kind in the World".   It was certainly that, and you always had a long queue before gaining admission.

It was a great shame when the department store was sold for redevelopment, and although originally planned to have space in the new building, the store never reopened as far as I recall.

• Like 2

City Models in the centre of this photograph.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/409070251

View from further down the road.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/409070253/in/photostream/

Anyone who knows the area is bemused how there used to be a street where the big stairs are. 

This is the view of the area now. With Blacklers to the left, now a Wetherspoons. City Models was near where the Boots sign is.

https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article11846471.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/JS98714911.jpg

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Was there a branch of Zodiac in Ilford ? During my first few months of BR service, in January 1979, I attended a training course at the Ilford school and bought a Hornby Prestwin wagon on the way there one morning, for which Zodiac rings a bell somehow.

On the high Rd according to the Zodiac Toys historical website - https://zodiactoys.wordpress.com

• RMweb Gold

There was a Zodiac Toys in Chichester many years ago that stocked some Hornby.  Unfortunately it effectively killed off the wonderful independent Martletts Toys in North Street that had everything you could possibly want toy wise (best selection of Lego in the area!) and a good selection of Hornby and Dapol upstairs including scenic stuff, track, etc.  Bought a single bogie drive Dapol 150 from there before I realised how bad a model that thing actually was...

Did the same thing to Redgates in Sheffield, and many other similar traditional toy/model shops across the country.

Of course, when Zodiac went tits up without a care in the world, we were left with very little countrywide.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

City Models in Liverpool and Jerry - a Dutch gentleman.  I recall he had his first shop on Dale Street in Liverpool centre.  And odd shop with acres of space and odd display cabinets.  Seem to think the shop had been an aquarium shop in a previous life as it had all appearance of such a place, and not helped by dark blue walls.  Then he moved up to close by Central Station.  A very small shop and I remember it was always crowded three deep with customers.  That site was then demolished for redevelopment and he moved to Stanley Street down the stairs where he and his assistant Paul gave everyone a warm welcome.  And you could get your hair cut next to the shop.  It was a favourite lunch time stroll from the office and a chance to catch up with the gossip with other modellers, also out for a stroll.  I recall Gerry also would stand behind the counter in Stanley Street always building another kit.   Another side to his skills was that he ran (including chef-ing) an excellent restaurant in the evenings in Tranmere over the Mersey from Liverpool.  A lovely man.     

I remember City Models from my student days - early 90s - so was this the shop in Dale Street?  I recall it being at that end of the city centre, not near Central.

I remember City Models from my student days - early 90s - so was this the shop in Dale Street?  I recall it being at that end of the city centre, not near Central.

That was when it was in Stanley Street. Right next to Radio City, down the stairs next to an old fashioned barbershop. That was before Radio City moved to the old revolving café which is the St John's Beacon. I think it's a solicitors now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4077388,-2.9876442,3a,60y,270h,87.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_vRZ-_C8tbnJqkdullMZeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I think the original City Models was where the bus stops were (called the gyratory by locals). Now called Queens Square Bus Station. Then it moved to Elliot Street.

Jason

A more recent one on the way out unfortunately is the Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge, shop is now shut but Dave is still online and doing shows. Shame, especially as they won Bachmann retailer of the year in 2016

• 2 months later...

Another model shop that is due to close in the next 6 weeks, is Mankim Models of Shrub End Road, Colchester. The owners, Kim and Debbie Manning have decided to retire and have been unable to sell the business as a going concern, probably partly due to them owning the freehold. Mankim has been my main retailer for some 34 years, since I first found the shop 34 years ago. It's a couple of miles out of Colchester, but always has had a regular group of customers, including a few local vicars. The business was started by Kim as a young man, on the retail premises run by his mum and dad, who had a printing/copying and car/van rental business. The model shop grew and eventually became the main business, with the copying side continuing.

It will be a sad day for me when they close, which is due to be by 30 April, as I have many fond memories of the banter, laughs and enjoyment I've had there, as well as the exceptional service in handling my pre orders and finding replacements for me if I missed something or they had a lower allocation. I wish Sharon and Mark my hope that they can quickly get new employment and Kim and Debbie a long and happy retirement, and my thanks and appreciation for such a long and enjoyable association and friendship.

• Like 2

What about the L&YR Hughes Class 28 and G&SWR Drummond 403 Class? We can also make the Hughes Experimental Mogul that the Reverend Wilbert Awdry imagined up.

I think you're in the wrong place. This is in the Model Shop Guide...

Gone but not forgotten locomotives is the next door down the corridor, on the right...

Edited by Coppercap

I think you're in the wrong place. This is in the Model Shop Guide...

Gone but not forgotten locomotives is the next door down the corridor, on the right...

Next to Arguments.

Or was it Abuse?

Another model shop that is due to close in the next 6 weeks, is Mankim Models of Shrub End Road, Colchester. The owners, Kim and Debbie Manning have decided to retire and have been unable to sell the business as a going concern, probably partly due to them owning the freehold. Mankim has been my main retailer for some 34 years, since I first found the shop 34 years ago. It's a couple of miles out of Colchester, but always has had a regular group of customers, including a few local vicars. The business was started by Kim as a young man, on the retail premises run by his mum and dad, who had a printing/copying and car/van rental business. The model shop grew and eventually became the main business, with the copying side continuing.

It will be a sad day for me when they close, which is due to be by 30 April, as I have many fond memories of the banter, laughs and enjoyment I've had there, as well as the exceptional service in handling my pre orders and finding replacements for me if I missed something or they had a lower allocation. I wish Sharon and Mark my hope that they can quickly get new employment and Kim and Debbie a long and happy retirement, and my thanks and appreciation for such a long and enjoyable association and friendship.

Sorry to hear that, one of my favourite shops. We have relatives just round the corner and always called in when visiting them, rarely failed to pick something interesting up.

I join in wishing them a happy retirement and will try and get in before the doors finally close.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that, one of my favourite shops. We have relatives just round the corner and always called in when visiting them, rarely failed to pick something interesting up.

I join in wishing them a happy retirement and will try and get in before the doors finally close.

Me too, I lived in Colchester for almost 30 years and quickly became one of the “regulars”. After moving to the Chelmsford area, I would still pop in from time to time, always received a friendly welcome.

They will be missed.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned the old 'Bob's Models' on the Coventry Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

I worked in Small Heath in the 70's and was introduced into the railway section by Jim B, a fellow I worked with, who had a great collection of ER pacifics and American HO brass (SP & ATSF mainly) After a early purchase of a Hornby Black 5 and an Airfix signal box which I tried to modify into Heath Junction signal box, Jim finally turned me to the dark side and I embarked on a 35 year journey frought with fun and not a little financial sacrifice. After a couple of Rivarrossi HO B&O locos has gone into the display cabinet, I joined the infant B&O Historical Society, just in time for them to tell me my Rivarrossi B&O President Washington and rake of Athearn coaches, both in blue and grey, was a big no no.

The brass 'lay away' scheme that was operated there saw me first buy a Westside Q4b 2-8-2 which I had painted by the late Brian Coldicott and my weekly visits to pay a share were always tormented by the latest deliveries from the late Bill Eaglesham -T3's, S1a, EM1. There were boxes of exotic stuff from Walthers and other US producers like Campbell, Athearn, Chooch and the shelves were always full of great stuff, models by customers and staff. I recall Mike B of this parish working there, doling out neat xylene when Floquil dio-sol thinners were in short supply, Barry W who was also a BR driver interrupting his work to talk about incidents on his BR working days (iirc he was on HST's and was based at Saltley). I should say they sold lots of other stuff but I only had eyes for the B&O by then.

In all that time I never laid more than 2 pieces of track and that was Peco 009 when I did a bit of  freelance HOn30,that after Mike B had butchered an HO B&O C 16 0-4-0 into an SRRL On30 loco - he made a great job of it too.!

I still haven't laid any track but watching Coachmann's exploits on here has got me at least to lay 5 pieces of cork  sheet on baseboards, ready for my revived Heath station layout in a shed (only 40 years later!)

Dave

Rather a late reply to this five year old post - but I well remember Bob's Models. I remember the huge slot-car track for the club upstairs, but I think it got dismantled when interest wained. I started going there in the 1960's, then started working for Bob Albutt part time for some pocket-money. It was really virtually all model aircraft and boats in those days. Bob had also acquired the empty shop next-door for more storage and workshop space. It was only later, when Pierce joined the team that the main shop moved into the refurbished shop next-door, and the old original shop became almost exclusively model trains. Pierce was an absolute gentleman, and was a huge fan of the US stuff, and when I started building a finescale UK layout, he very kindly lent me  a huge brass Garrat-Type loco ('Big-Boy'...?) to play-around with. It was heavily-weathered, and included a really superb sound system, which allowed the driver to control ALL sounds. The big tender had speakers and sounded much, much better than most of the modern stuff. It didn't have that 'tinny-ness' that we have now, and ran like a Swiss watch. Sadly, I don't think the train side of the business ever paid it's way, as despite Pierce's huge enthusiasm for the US stuff, there was never much public interest - too niche.  Derek Hughes ran the coin-in-the-slot model boat side, 'Tornado', which was profitable in itself and was later hived-off as a separate entity and may even still be operating. We used to do airshows & model railway exhibitions as well as the now long forgotten 'Boys & Girls Exhibition' at the long demolished Bingley Hall on Broad Street. As I recall, in those days, the Warley show was at the Quinborne Community Centre in Quinton, and was quite a small, low-key event - rather different to the monster event today...! The airshows were by far the best earners for the shop however. Bob, Pierce and Derek passed-away some years ago, but in those days, long before the internet, Bob's Models was a busy, stable business. Bob's daughter Julie was, as far as I can recall, the prime mover at the new shop at Shirley, but that finally folded in 2013 I think, some years after Bob's demise. Bob was a very quiet chap, with the patience of Joab and a very wide range of interests and a dry sense of humour, and I was very sad when I heard of his passing. Happy days. I think most, if not all of the old model shops I remember have gone now;- 'The Model Aerodrome', just by the Cathedral, 'Bearwood Models', 'Jim Davis Models', to name but a few. The latter shop started in an old Co-op butchers shop, and at first all the models were hung-up on meat-hooks...! Jim was a right character and always put on huge stands and demo's at the shows - another character no longer with us. The 1970's were really Halcyon Days, as all the previously 'impossible' models were being done. It was pre-internet, pre-'ready-made' and public interest was at it's peak. Since that time - we seem mainly to have achieved only greater refinement.

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add my thoughts from when I was into model railways the first time around in the 80s and 90s. Shops that had gone when I returned. Hopefully not repeated any as I read most of this thread!

Wigan Model Centre in Warrington and obviously Wigan

The model shop in Newton Abbot market. Favourite holiday destination.

Battarbee's of Dartmouth - or is it still around?

The SRA models shop sign in Stockport is still extant by the way! Must be a record....

Densem's in Crewe. One of those old-school sports and model shops that have fallen by the wayside. On that note Bayley's in Macclesfield.

A little model shop on the street round the corner from Crewe station - name forgotten.

Trains and Transport in Sheffield had a retail premises.

The model shop in Elsecar Heritage Centre that only took cash and was a long drive from a cashpoint. Not good business in the 2010s!

Peak Model Shop in Buxton.

The Model Shop on Deansgate in Manchester.

Ashton Model Centre (U-Lyne not Makerfield)

City Centre Models in the main Hanley shopping area in Stoke.

Pleasure Treasures in Burslem.

I will no doubt come back to this with many more :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

When I knew Victors it was all models and an easy lunch time walk for me when I worked in Islington in the later 1990s. The shop window was full of models in boxes that had turned yellow with exposure to sunlight, but inside was packed full of mainly HO stock.  It's where I finally tracked down an Ahern RDC (plus bogie gearbox kit). The boss (presumably Bernie Victor) always seemed to be upstairs. There were 2 assistants and lets say the speed at which your enquiry or purchase was dealt with depended on which one you got. :-)

There was Paul & Stefan - which was the fast one?