Gone but not forgotten

AMJ

I seem to remember a model shop on the platform at Nuneaton Station, which was piled high full of all sorts of models. One thing that I can remember is a British outline HO diesel, running on a 4 wheel chassis. Ended up getting a set of Bachmann private owner wagons from there, never been back sadly.

The original Barby Model Rail (when at the garden center) was a treasure trove, moved to Hillmorton locks and the owner retired a few years ago. Always had a good selection of items and plenty of bargains. The shop still exists thankfully. A far better shop in the Rugby area compared to Joto Hobbies, who carry a limited amount of items and don't really like people picking items up to view them from my experiences in the past.

I seem to remember a model shop on the platform at Nuneaton Station, which was piled high full of all sorts of models. One thing that I can remember is a British outline HO diesel, running on a 4 wheel chassis. Ended up getting a set of Bachmann private owner wagons from there, never been back sadly.

The original Barby Model Rail (when at the garden center) was a treasure trove, moved to Hillmorton locks and the owner retired a few years ago. Always had a good selection of items and plenty of bargains. The shop still exists thankfully. A far better shop in the Rugby area compared to Joto Hobbies, who carry a limited amount of items and don't really like people picking items up to view them from my experiences in the past.

It closed quite some time ago, although I don't know when.

The LNWR Society was later offered the opportunity to take on the lease for the building for their Study Centre and Archive. I visited to inspect with several other Committee members, but had to reject the opportunity. While the location was great, the facility sufficiently spacious, there was a considerable damp problem. This seemed to be down to blocked/damaged guttering. As it needed the OLE supply turned off to safely access the roof for repair and maintainance, with consequent disruption to services, Network Rail wouldn't undertake it..

I remember seeing that on the way past by train but never having a chance to visit. Must be early 2000s?

Edited by ianmacc

I remember seeing that on the way past by train but never having a chance to visit. Must be early 2000s?

That was "Wheels", the last incarnation of something that had been in Leamington Spa in the late 80s/early 90s, doing rail and bus stuff and also catering. We ate there one night when the pannier 9600 did a main line trip there from Tyseley. Great fun

Hi Bill,

That's very interesting, glad that I wasn't imagining the other branch of Blunts in Welwyn Garden City.

It's come to my mind now that there used to be a model shop in Burnt Oak, 'Peglars'.(Early 1960s) It was in the dip going down the Watling Avenue about half way between the Tube station and the Edgware Road (Burnt Oak Broadway). I remember starting off there on TT gauge, A set that contained a Britannia 70036 Boadicea, and three mark 1's. I can remember being disappointed later on when purchasing an additional coach that the loco couldn't pull the train with four coaches, it slipped like crazy. But the loco did have a smoke unit, and you could buy smoke capsules (oil), that you dripped into the chimney. It produced reasonable smoke effects, but a rather sickly sweet aroma!

After several years of TT I traded it in to Beatties of Southgate, and went over to N Gauge instead.

Andy.

Blunts in WGC (or "The Model Shop" as me and my friends always called it) was my introduction to a lot of forms of modelling - railways, plastic kits, model aeroplanes, model soldiers.  It stocked a staggering variety of products, and I spent many a happy hour browsing before parting with my pocket money.  I seem to recall it closed in the early 80's.......

I moved down to Hampshire in 1993, at which time there were a variety of model shops (not all with railways) - Cove Models, Farnborough Models, Concorde Models in Aldershot...all of which are now gone.  The model shop in Farnham has just closed with the redevelopment of that end of the town.

Thankfully, we still have Alton Model Centre going strong!!

• Like 1

May as well add TAGs models late of Doncaster to this list. The last link went with the closing of Barnsley Models and Games in the town.

Thankfully the new Panda Models is there; it has a good selection of railway stuff and keeps Doncaster worth visiting...

May as well add TAGs models late of Doncaster to this list. The last link went with the closing of Barnsley Models and Games in the town.

Thankfully the new Panda Models is there; it has a good selection of railway stuff and keeps Doncaster worth visiting...

The last link has not quite gone. I think a few bits from Tags are now in Panda Models so the history will hopefully carry on in some form, a great shop and lovely people as well. They need and deserve suport from the modelling community (not just model railways either, they have slot car products and many plastic kits)

The last link has not quite gone. I think a few bits from Tags are now in Panda Models so the history will hopefully carry on in some form, a great shop and lovely people as well. They need and deserve suport from the modelling community (not just model railways either, they have slot car products and many plastic kits)

Called in today. Some of the fittings from TAGS are there. Lots of stock too. Could have chatted to the guy behind the counter for ages but had to get away. Well worth a visit.

• RMweb Premium

Blunts in WGC (or "The Model Shop" as me and my friends always called it) was my introduction to a lot of forms of modelling - railways, plastic kits, model aeroplanes, model soldiers.  It stocked a staggering variety of products, and I spent many a happy hour browsing before parting with my pocket money.  I seem to recall it closed in the early 80's.......

I moved down to Hampshire in 1993, at which time there were a variety of model shops (not all with railways) - Cove Models, Farnborough Models, Concorde Models in Aldershot...all of which are now gone.  The model shop in Farnham has just closed with the redevelopment of that end of the town.

Thankfully, we still have Alton Model Centre going strong!!

Blunt's in Mill Hill for me. Peter and Alan (the "sons" in H A Blunt & Sons) were, with hindsight, like uncles to me - nurturing my interest (with Dad's money!) to a passion that has never faded.

• Like 2

I forgot to add that Moores on the corner of Clifton Road and Bath Street, Rugby was the model shop in the fifties and sixties. It was a hardware store downstairs with the model shop on the first floor. They carried the usual model stuff, including aircraft kits, motors and bits. They were very helpful and would get in what you asked for, although I recall it was managed by two ladies who may not have been modellers. Bosworth's in Bank Street was the Hornby Dublo mecca. 

• 4 weeks later...

Eames of Reading. Ted Morris (later King's Cross) was one half of Eames, but what was the name of the guy with the moustache? A very scary man. (CJL)

The chap with the very wide moustache was always charming to me, and very helpfully found me lots of bits for my scratch built engines when I was 15 or so, as well as finding me a Stephen Poole 54xx pannier in the stock room. He had a very pleasant voice. In contrast, the other chap working there in the early 1980s, who then set up Alton model shop, was always gruff, loud, rude and dismissive. This trait he carried-on, and visits to the latter shop were always much more pleasant when he was not there.

• RMweb Gold

Its high time I chipped in and mentioned the long-gone G.M.H. Bunce and Co. of West Street, Fareham. I am still using plasticard I bought from there who knows how long ago! The price stickers show 37p for 20 thou and 53p for 40 thou. That shop stocked the usual Triang-Hornby, I bought Fleischmann rack equipment and rack loco (off the shelf!) as well as being able to order the more esoteric spare parts. All from a normal model shop in a fairly normal town street. They also held stocks of model aeroplanes, and probably goods for other branches of the modelling world.

I am very, very late in replying to this, but I remember Bunce's. We lived in Stubbington for about a year and a half in the late 70s, and in early 1978, once I had saved up my birthday and Christmas cash as well as a good few weeks pocket money (at 25p a week), I descended on Bunce's with my mother trailing in my wake and £13.50 in my pocket. I forget exactly what I bought, but a Hornby GWR 101 (£4.50) was certainly the main purchase, along with one or two Hornby GWR 4 wheel coaches. A Mainline Allsopp's liveried van probably came from there at the same time. I am fairly sure they stocked Wrenn, which I generally considered to be too expensive for what was and/or beyond my price range, and I remember being intrigued by what was a (probably) kit-built 0-6-2T in lined BR black, but without any crest or lettering (definitely not a Wrenn or HD model, possibly an E4 or similar LBSCR type), secondhand, also at £4.50. I decided against it as it was, as we would put it these days, "outside my era". I had not at that point discovered Rule One.

Thanks for the OP, which among other things, bought back fond memories of myself as a 10 year old pedant.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

BMW Models in Wimbeldon. (Haydons Road IIRC)

I remember seeing their full page ad in Military Modelling (another sad loss to the modelling world) and cycling over there after school one afternoon. Unfortunately me spending most of my paper-round money there over the following year or so wasn't enough to keep them in business.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I bought  my first kits from Passmore models in Coulsdon (Bob Wills old shop). He actually gave me a Triang L1 chassis from a broken body to go with the "NEW" release GEM D21 kit. 

I later bought kits from Modelmania in Norbury, and Hobbytime at West Wickham, before discovering Model Railways at Kings Cross. 

I have remembered and appreciated all the advice that the shop keepers gave me fifty years ago.

Since returning to railway modelling on my retirement ten years ago, the only model that I visit is Alton Models, which requires two buses or a train and a bus. However, there is a pub worth visiting at Alton, so I enjoy my trips, and the Mid-Hants railway will soon be reopening the Alton section soon.

Thane of Fife 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Shop was called Linden Studios and was basically a camera shop that also sold model railways. David Brazier who owned the shop was  a founder member of Redditch Model Railway Club back in 1967 but stopped being a Club member in the late 1970's . I understand David passed away a number of years ago

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2018 at 11:55, pete_mcfarlane said:

I remember the Gamleys in Sutton. It had a huge (to my child's eyes) model section in the basement. 

Sutton also had ELS Models in the precinct under the Eagle Star building at the north end of the High Street, many a happy hour spent there clutching the pocket-money I'd managed not to invest in sweets. Believe it was an offshoot of E. Law & Sons timber merchant (now Champions) when one of the sons wasn't too keen on joining the family business. Not sure when it closed, may have been late 70s or early 80s. They also had quite a good selection of Radio Controlled planes as well if I remember correctly.

Chris.

3 hours ago, chrism993 said:

Sutton also had ELS Models in the precinct under the Eagle Star building at the north end of the High Street, many a happy hour spent there clutching the pocket-money I'd managed not to invest in sweets. Believe it was an offshoot of E. Law & Sons timber merchant (now Champions) when one of the sons wasn't too keen on joining the family business. Not sure when it closed, may have been late 70s or early 80s. They also had quite a good selection of Radio Controlled planes as well if I remember correctly.

Chris.

My Grandparents left Sutton in mid 1985, and the model shop at the Eagle Star building was still there at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2018 at 15:10, exet1095 said:

The chap with the very wide moustache was always charming to me, and very helpfully found me lots of bits for my scratch built engines when I was 15 or so, as well as finding me a Stephen Poole 54xx pannier in the stock room. He had a very pleasant voice. In contrast, the other chap working there in the early 1980s, who then set up Alton model shop, was always gruff, loud, rude and dismissive. This trait he carried-on, and visits to the latter shop were always much more pleasant when he was not there.

John Gould I think was the chap with the moustache, and if I recall correctly Bob Treacher set up Alton after Eames at Reading closed. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2018 at 09:04, Vanguard 5374 said:

I went into the one at Hillmorton Locks the other day. It's now called Tony's Trains and he can order in pretty much anything if you give him a few days. After accidentally going the wrong side of the building, and subsequently having to reverse out (Makes you very aware of the water, that does) I picked up a 16ton mineral wagon in ICI livery.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Only one model shop I know between Clapham and Epsom.. Janes trains.

I see the remains of various model railway clubs in the area, and even Queen Mary Hospital miniature railway in Carshalton Beeches, I arrived here a few decades too late, there was obviously a hot bed of enthusiasts, now only 2 exhibitions a year.. Epsom/Ewell & Croydon.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few I remember, from Cumbria/Lancashire.  First up, the small shop crammed with stuff at Steamtown Carnforth.  Often was taken there by the old man when infanticide was moving up my mothers list of priorities.  Found an Airfix GMR siphon bought there whilst sorting the crap in the attic.  Also another shop in Lancaster, where as I remember the customer service left something to be desired (or maybe the owner just didn’t like children).  

Moving North, O’Loughlins in Kendal, where I spent an awfull lot of my pocket money upstairs.  Several of the Bachman locos I’m running now came from there in the late 90’s-early 2000’s (standard tank, class 25, Ivatt 2-6-2 tank).  Also carried a lot of plastic kits, woodland scenics.  Closed sometime in mid 2000’s  The was also a tiny short lived second hand shop on Windermere road, I remember various aged triang bits following me home from there.

A tiny shop in Penrith, I bought my first ‘decent’ new loco (as opposed to an early Hornsby Jinty) with my own money there, a Dapol pug (it was that or a Terrier) that’s being resurrected on Sedbergh with a DCC chip insinuated in the cab.   Introduced me to the Dapol range, various of their kits and RTR bits came from there.  

Finally, the only one that’s still in business, C&M models in Carlisle (although according to Google street view, the health food shop it was above has gone belly up).  First shop I discovered Woodland Scenics in, the (then) wonderful scenic stuff I’d only seen in magazines before.  Spent a few coins in there, one day I must pop back and repeat the experience.

Owain

• Like 2