Gone but not forgotten

AMJ

Dave sold me a Mainline J72 in 1980 and it was he that suggested I Join Birtley club.Has he still got the Mutton chop whiskers

Are we talking Dave Alexander or Dave Dunn?

The former, I can't remember and I only saw him about a fortnight ago...

The latter...  if DD ever had Noddy Holders they had gone by 1986…

http://flic.kr/p/cgYCgE

and I dunno if you got to see the original of this news report?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13592652

Skip forward to 2’ 30” for a more up to date image.

You got even longer of his dulcet tones on the local news but I don’t have a TV so never saw it.

Have you seen the books he’s brought out?

P

• Like 2

Does anyone remember Baileys Dailies in Brislington?

At one point there were two shops, a newsagents and general toy shop (hence the name) and across the road and up Sandy Park, a model shop.

N

Yep I remember Bailies Dailies Models very well, because I workied there for two and a half years in 1979-81 great years with all the new Mainline and Airfix stuff coming out, we had a good stock of bits for kit builders and mow thirty years on I wish I had stocked up on a lot of things you can't get now MW 1001 motors,all the lost wax castings we had in stock Ks Kits, the Newcast Flower kit that I wanted but all ways was out of reach haveing all ready spent half my wages in the shop! Could co on and on , but I will Finnish in saying John Baggot the owner is still with us as I see him some times

Wow, it's a small world.

I remember they had a fire at one point, and I bought a smoke damaged Airfix Dakota from them.

Good to know the owner is still around, he always reminded me of Mickey Rooney. Nice chap and a friend of my Grandfather.

N

I too remember Bailies Dailies. Wasn't the first shop half way up the hill on the left, then it moved to a much smaller shop further up the hill? Spent a lot of money there, and while not in the same league as the 'Alladin's cave' that was Max William's shop, it was well stocked with lot of bits and pieces you just can't get nowadays.

I think John Baggott used to run one of the Bristol exhibitions, the one in the old Temple Meads trainshed. It's nice to know he's still around, but I've not seen him at any show for years. He always used to greet me and my dad, (who always tagged along with me to exhibitions) with a bold "Good morning, gentlemen!" (difficult to put it in his voice here!).     

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Beatties took over Boydells in Eldon Square, Newcastle around 1983 or 1984.  Beatties Head Office renamed it 'Leisureworld', rather than 'Beatties'.  I left Beatties in Pilgrim Street, Newcastle in 1988 and sometime later (maybe around 1995) on a visit to the North East I went into Leisureworld when it had relocated to the large Metro Centre complex between Dunston and Blaydon.  

Incidentally, I recall Britannia class 70053 on Shrewsbury shed, around 1967 (?) shorn of nameplates, valves blowing off and standing at the entrance to the sheds by the old signal box.  I remember giving it a last look back from the nearby 'bus stop before heading home.  I would be twelve or thirteen at the time.

Hi Steve22

I obviously got my dates confused over the demise of Boydells in Eldon Square Newcastle and the occupancy of that premesis by Beatties. I claim the sanctuary of a Senior Moment.

I'm sure you must have sold me railway and other model items during your time at the other Beatties shop.

An afterthought about Applegarth's is that the premesis continued all too briefly as a model shop with a gent called Alan as proprietor. I recall buying one of the early release Lima Class 55 Deltic 'MELD' from him for the princely sum of £8.50. 

I'm jealous of your live sighting of 70053, my Id on here stems from the DJH kit of that particular Britannia, which I built while awaiting the arrival of our Daughter into this chaotic world.

My Wife chose the Loco Name, so its a matter of family sentimentality rather than memory or tangible affection for the real loco. Britannias have always been favourite locos of mine since infancy however.

Regards,

John

Anyone remember "Scale Models and Kits" at the top of Halliwell road in Bolton? In the late 70's-early 80's I emptied many a paypacket into their till! It was one of those rare places that not only stocked model railway kits and bits but model bus kits and accessories too. A wonderful emporium run by an old couple. When the chap died his wife kept it going for a few years. She had a vast knowledge of the model railway industry and always seemed to know which manufacturer made what kit or bit.

Happy days.....

Jon F

• RMweb Premium

Anyone remember "Scale Models and Kits" at the top of Halliwell road in Bolton? In the late 70's-early 80's

Happy days.....

Jon F

I remember "Scale Model & Kits," but I thought it lasted into the early 90's.  I lived in Bolton from 1990 to 2008 and I do recall going in the shop, but it closed fairly soon after.

Regards

Paul

Your right about Aladdin's cave he had every thing and knew where it was, but as a school boy my trouble was that unless I knew what I wanted I could never find it , and as I didn't know what was available and who made what back them, I spent hours rummaging but never finding what I wanted as I didn't want to ask for a due fur to fit a thingy, and look dumb it was just information overload

I know the shop was run by his daughter towards the end but I wonder just what happened to the literary tons of bits when it shut down

I don't know, but I have a pack of bearings in my spares box that still bear his price label!

• RMweb Gold

Mid-50s to mid-60s my home was Mottingham in South London and in Mottingham Village there was Gay's Cycles who stocked trains as well as cycles. Next door was NT Gay, Newsagents (run, I think, by a brother of the guy who ran Gay's Cycles)from where I did my paper round getting ten bob (50p) a week.

Most of that 50p and the Christmas tips went into my bicycle and model railway fund eventually allowing me to purchase a Raleigh bike and a Hornby 13xxx diesel shunter in black. These were the first two items that I bought with my own money. Great memories.

The newsagent was also a sales outlet for London Coastal Coaches (or whatever it was called) and sold Red Rover bus tickets - bought many of those for my weekend trainspotting outings.

Keith

The Harow Model Shop with the very knowledgeable old chap behind the counter.  Seemed a bit haphazardly organised but there wasn't much they didn't have and only five minutes walk from either of the two Tube stations.

Ah yes, the Harrow Model Shop. Loads of stuff, dusty corners, years old items turning up on the shelves....! The knowledgeable chap on the railway counter would have been Norman. Wore a white coat when serving. Didn't have much time for the newfangled plastic trains, he was an HD/Wrenn afficianado - I believe he ran or at least partook in a local model railway club that ran 3-rail stuff with full signalling (including bell signals between operators). I quickly realised that he was the one to get served by because the other railway counter staff member was 'Arthur' (who wore a brown coat) and was the most miserable guy ever. He was well past pensionable age and his sales patter seemed to consist of phrases like 'I don't know what you want that for'; 'I wouldn't bother with that' etc.

The shop moved to North Harrow about 8 years ago and then fairly quickly shut down (although Arthur may still be rattling his chains and wandering the corridors). All I could ever glean was that the son of the original owner had taken it over and got into difficulties but it was sad to see such a major part of my youth disappear.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cripes Porcy, I did Dave Alexander a dis-service by not metioning him in my Laygate Model Shop meanderings, it's just that Blackie left such an indelible stamp on my memory - he was a miserable !  I can't think of Dave without the mutton chops, part of his character, nice feller.

• Like 1

Obournes in Vicarage Road Watford a classic shop in the 60's/early 70's .....then Railmail cometh!

The Hobby Centre in Market Street in Watford too a well stocked shop that moved to the High Street in the late 70's by which time I think it had changed owners and did to last many more years

XF

Obourne was originally a bespoke tailor who dabbled in model railways as a side line. Eventually models became the sole business but there were rolls of pinstripe cloth on the top shelf up until the Railmail take over. I recall one customer enquiring, jokingly, if he could still make a suit. The reply was " I reckon I could knock up something nice but it will cost you!"

Nigel, I don't recall "The Hobby Centre" despite being a Watfordian. I was probably otherwise occupied during the late 70s. My 18th birthday was April '79! Just out of curiosity, Where in Market Street was it? Which side of Exchange Road?

In the late 70s I worked in St.Albans and remember a small model shop a few yards down the Hatfield Road but can't now remember the name only that that they had some Wrenn at what seemed like a good price as did Railmail. I actually bought one from each (both Duchesses) though I never got around to building anything to run them on and they ended up being sold for twenty pounds a piece!

Glad to see Puffers of Kenton getting a mention. I bought a Bachmann Union of South Africa from Puffers in 1996. this was my first purchase on joining the hobby. When I went back there for an Ivatt tank the shop was gone. Sad!

I do miss "The Model Shop". Harrow but to be truthful, and although I can't explain, it was never my favourite.

RP

Anyone remember Bob Denny's by Sawley Jn (now Long Eaton) station?

Very well indeed! We used to stop here when visiting family in Notts. from Birmingham, purchased a Farish 00 94xx from here. I was always fascinated by the hand-built and repainted proprietary stuff in his windows.

In Brum, I remember Barnabys, Horntons, Model Aerodrome as well as Lewis's for buying Triang stock. Dad always seemed to be able to bring home the 'new' Triang catalogue very early in the New Year from Knights of Kingstanding!

The Burlington arcade shop always had a good selection, but Bearwood models was the serious modelling outlet, bought my first Wills kit from there!

Also in Brum was a 'chain' of bicycle shops, "Roberts", certainly one in Acocks Green and one in Fox Hollies who carried Triang and Dublo stock. My Grandma lived in Blidworth, Notts. During visits a walk down to Dunns garage opposite the Forest Folk pub would often yield a Triang wagon.Dunns was still there in 2005, no longer sold model trains though!

This is all over 50 years ago, ah me,

Cheers,

Peter C.

I still have the rake of N scale Minitrix 2-axle Deutsche Bundesbahn hoppers that I bought from Chuffs in north London around 1971. One day soon I'll finally get around to replacing the horrible oversized ladders plus some decent handwheels.

Around 1977, I was in the RAF at Honington. I heard that Chuffs had a shop at Sudbury. I made the trip but the atmosphere had changed markedly: by that time the emphasis was more on dolls houses.

Back in the 1960's, I remember EAMES at Reading, right by Reading General station. When I first found EAMES, Southern steam still ran into the old South Eastern & Chatham terminus at Reading.

I still have the Peter Handford 'Castles in the Chilterns' and 'The Atlantics and the Terrier' vynil recordings which were some of the few things my pocket money would run to in the 1960's.

They are beautiful recordings but, as so often with Argo Transacord, the actual quality of the pressing was terrible.

Producing a good digital copy is a priority, now that I have successfully hooked up a decent Technics deck through my computer and have discovered the program Audacity.

Edited by dick rowland

• RMweb Premium

Its high time I chipped in and mentioned the long-gone G.M.H. Bunce and Co. of West Street, Fareham. I am still using plasticard I bought from there who knows how long ago! The price stickers show 37p for 20 thou and 53p for 40 thou. That shop stocked the usual Triang-Hornby, I bought Fleischmann rack equipment and rack loco (off the shelf!) as well as being able to order the more esoteric spare parts. All from a normal model shop in a fairly normal town street. They also held stocks of model aeroplanes, and probably goods for other branches of the modelling world.

I'm trying to remember if Inkpen's of Broadlaw Walk (Fareham) sold model railways? I have a vague recollection of buying T-H coaches there, but I can't picture them in the shop.

Many people of the area would be familiar with Fratton Bargain Shop in Fratton Road, Portsmouth. But, how many remember Tony Collett of Winter Road, Southsea? When he passed away, much (if not all) of the stock went to Dave Cleal at Mainly Trains, when he was still in Chandler's Ford.

Edited by DIW
  • Like 1

Anyone a former customer of The Model Shop in Lincoln Rd, Peterborough? Up the back staircase of the electrical shop downstairs was a mecca for modellers of all persuasions, particularly finescale modellers with a preference for the Eastern part of the country. Being our best, local "proper" model shop, I was a regular visitor for over 20 years until Chris and his Mum finally shut up shop in about 2002.

I still see them at shows from time to time, even still selling the remaining oddments behind the club sales stall at Market Deeping MRC show!

• Like 2

Intercity Models at Sandiacre anyone? Almost opposite the entrance to Toton depot. Started up in the eighties, lots of stock plus bits and pieces. Always worth a look when I was in the area. Unfortunately didn't last too long. Nothing to do with the business as such I believe. The guys wife didn't take to living over the shop and having railways everywhere as I understand it. Unless anyone else knows otherwise of course?

Anyone a former customer of The Model Shop in Lincoln Rd, Peterborough? Up the back staircase of the electrical shop downstairs was a mecca for modellers of all persuasions, particularly finescale modellers with a preference for the Eastern part of the country. Being our best, local "proper" model shop, I was a regular visitor for over 20 years until Chris and his Mum finally shut up shop in about 2002.

I still see them at shows from time to time, even still selling the remaining oddments behind the club sales stall at Market Deeping MRC show!

I remember The Model Shop well. In fact I remember that, originally, it was situated in the shop next door which was basically the front room of a house! It was very small in there but John, Chris's father, seemed to stock everything you were ever likely to need. He used to advertise in the model press saying 'If I haven't got it I'll get it. If I can't get they don't make it!'  It was probably the best stocked model railway shop that I've ever seen. Shame it's no longer there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone remember a small railway model shop on Marine Parade, on Tywyn sea front? Can remember going into it in the summer of 78, if I remember correctly, during a family holiday to that area. A real Aladdins cave. Dark with stuff piled high all around the shop

Some where in this block if remember correctly. Don't know if it still exists after 35 years!!

post-7289-0-85309600-1365370329.jpg

Taken from Google street view

Edited by Ramrig

Anyone remember a small railway model shop on Marine Parade, on Tywyn sea front? Can remember going into it in the summer of 78, if I remember correctly, during a family holiday to that area. A real Aladdins cave. Dark with stuff piled high all around the shop

Some where in this block if remember correctly. Don't know if it still exists after 35 years!!

Taken from Google street view

Oh yes! I bought my Hornby (Collett?) GW carriages from there, probably in the summer of '75 while volunteering on the Talyllyn.  

• Like 1

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned the old 'Bob's Models' on the Coventry Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

I worked in Small Heath in the 70's and was introduced into the railway section by Jim B, a fellow I worked with, who had a great collection of ER pacifics and American HO brass (SP & ATSF mainly) After a early purchase of a Hornby Black 5 and an Airfix signal box which I tried to modify into Heath Junction signal box, Jim finally turned me to the dark side and I embarked on a 35 year journey frought with fun and not a little financial sacrifice. After a couple of Rivarrossi HO B&O locos has gone into the display cabinet, I joined the infant B&O Historical Society, just in time for them to tell me my Rivarrossi B&O President Washington and rake of Athearn coaches, both in blue and grey, was a big no no.

The brass 'lay away' scheme that was operated there saw me first buy a Westside Q4b 2-8-2 which I had painted by the late Brian Coldicott and my weekly visits to pay a share were always tormented by the latest deliveries from the late Bill Eaglesham -T3's, S1a, EM1. There were boxes of exotic stuff from Walthers and other US producers like Campbell, Athearn, Chooch and the shelves were always full of great stuff, models by customers and staff. I recall Mike B of this parish working there, doling out neat xylene when Floquil dio-sol thinners were in short supply, Barry W who was also a BR driver interrupting his work to talk about incidents on his BR working days (iirc he was on HST's and was based at Saltley). I should say they sold lots of other stuff but I only had eyes for the B&O by then.

In all that time I never laid more than 2 pieces of track and that was Peco 009 when I did a bit of  freelance HOn30,that after Mike B had butchered an HO B&O C 16 0-4-0 into an SRRL On30 loco - he made a great job of it too.!

I still haven't laid any track but watching Coachmann's exploits on here has got me at least to lay 5 pieces of cork  sheet on baseboards, ready for my revived Heath station layout in a shed (only 40 years later!)

Dave

Harry Welch's on Church Street in Preston, probably the first model shop I ever went in, aged about 10.  When that closed we had Trains & Transport near the railway station, I forget the name of the side street, but it was off Fishergate. 

I too remember Bradford Model Railway Exchange on Mosley Street as I used to work round the corner in Portland Street for many years.  I seem to recall it closing down very suddenly.

Paul

Charnley St, Preston. That was the smallest shop EVER! But always had something to buy.

He had a big, I mean BIG, pile of RMs at i think it was 10p a pop, I took loads off him whenever i went in.

Edited by carl1962

Anyone remember Duggleby's in Hull? At onetime he had three shops, mainly toys, bikes and dolls prams etc, but the Princes Ave shop stocked serious model railway stuff. Ken Marsden worked for many years at the Princes Ave shop, I think he is still with use but must be 80 or more. Mick.

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit surprised no-one has mentioned the old 'Bob's Models' on the Coventry Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

Dave

I used to visit regularly from work (bordesley green) at lunchtime, there was a fad for slot-cars (we had a works sports club slot-car track!) so both car and train purchases

Never the same once they moved to Hobs Moat road and dropped the trains.

There used to be a decent model shop in a housing estate on the S side of Coventry (Cheylesmore possibly?) Anybody remember it?

Keith