Kingswear, Churston and Paignton visitors/news.

Re6/6

Saw Tornado blasting through Chippenham on Thursday lunchtime, the first time I have seen her in blue (although it was moving rather quickly! - whistle on all through the the station!!!), your pictures confirm how good the colour suits her

Edited by Jules
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I found this old and rather unremarkable snap recently.

Taken in the late 70s/early 80s, I guess.

It was worth recording as it was the first visit of The Orient Express set to Kingswear IIRC.

post-6728-0-58769900-1364724777_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

As the title is 'Kingswear visitors', and I was, here are a couple of hasty snaps of resident 7827 on 2/4/2013 at about 17:00.  The beautiful clear blue sky doesn't indicate a nice barmy spring day!

post-148-0-85200300-1365101870_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-53269900-1365101862_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst sorting through a packet of old prints, came across these two.

Not really visitors but permanent residents (at the time)

The lovely 4555 which seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. It was 'up for sale' a few years ago (along with sister engine 4588) whilst in store at Paignton 'Queens Park' loco shed. Heard nothing since. Does anybody know what has happened to them? They did look rather nice in service on the line. I always thought that they should go home to the SDR.

post-6728-0-47855300-1367255679_thumb.jpg

Coaches haven't been stored right down the end of the long Hoodown siding (halfway between the two ferries) for some years now.

post-6728-0-29521000-1367255827_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The lovely 4555 which seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. It was 'up for sale' a few years ago (along with sister engine 4588) whilst in store at Paignton 'Queens Park' loco shed. Heard nothing since. Does anybody know what has happened to them? They did look rather nice in service on the line. I always thought that they should go home to the SDR

Wikipedia says she's awaiting overhaul on the P&DSR...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_4500_Class

• 3 weeks later...

And one from me from an almost identical position. We were on this side of the crossing to make a quick getaway with a view to catching the train again near Churston - but we failed by 10 seconds or so!

post-6669-0-81830500-1369216165.jpg

Edited by 10800
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Here is some footage taken in great haste part-way up Churston Bank...

My driving wasn't quick enough. Got stuck behind a slow car then met a pal coming the other way on the very narrow road leading to the bridge!

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick phone snap of a DRS pair which visited Kingswear for the Dartmouth Royal Regatta Red Arrows display, which unfortunately this year was curtailed due to low cloud.

post-6728-0-40918000-1409383060_thumb.jpg

A different visitor! Poor shot I'm afraid.

The Typhoon 'Eurofighter' was spectacular in its noise and slow speed manoeuverability!

post-6728-0-61487000-1409383043_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One more phone shot of the Typhoon. Awesome (in the true sense of that overworked word) noise and presence.

I wouldn't want to be at the receiving end of a missile attack from one of these! The pilot has a sight in his helmet and just has to look at his target...!

post-6728-0-36003400-1409420940_thumb.jpg

We were treated to 10 minutes of this: 

And for the best bit, the BBMF Hurricane and Spitfire. Those beautiful Merlin engine sounds. Brings a lump to one's throat. Unfortunately the two Lancasters, which were expected, were grounded today with technical problems.

A distant shot of the pair. The treat of seeing these magnificent aircraft one doesn't want to 'miss the moment' by looking through a lens (much discussion about the public obsession of taking cellphone snaps of everything in the media currently!).

post-6728-0-81741000-1409421171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 6

Evening John,Yes I didn't see the Typhoon but boy could I here it from our place in Brixham.I did see all the red Arrows come over twice.having seen the two lancasters last w/e and having also seen the BBMF one fly over when the one at east Kirby was doing her taxi runs I was keen to see them all again.it was a shame that Vera had suffered some engine trouble in durham and then Thumper suffered a generator fault whilst prepairing to leave Bournmouth. We did see the two Spitfires from the hill further down the estuary.i managed to film them flying past but not able to see there moves over the station  area.

To see those four plans last w/e flying over Dawlish was a very moving thing.

Glad you managed to get down yesterday.

We did here the class 25 rattle past last night.

Richard

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The weather was perfect down in South Devon today for the last Torbay Express of the summer,

seen here departing Kingswear with 5029 Nunney Castle looking and sounding like a Castle should.

Martin

post-1081-0-99382500-1411337855_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 5 months later...

About 40 years ago when the Lyndham Manor preservation group were asking for donations to help fund work to the loco I sent some monies to them and received a certificate to confirm my donation ( happy to help if it got another loco on the rails ).

Quite a few years down the line ( no pun intended) I visited the Severn Valley and was pleased to see her in steam. I approached the crew ,as you do, and got chatting to the driver with a casual mention that I was someone who'd given a donation for the loco.

To my amazement he answered with "so have lots of other people so what!" .

That was the last time I ever gave anything to a preservation society despite my inherent love of steam especially GWR locos.

I'm sure it isn't typical of all preservation personnel but it did leave a bad taste.