Poole Station - progress is made

AngryMeerkat

After reading the thread on modelling a prototype location, I've been looking for a suitable place to have a go at. And after weeks of looking, it seems the right place was right on my doorstep - Poole Station on the south coast.

post-16914-0-96492700-1364063182_thumb.jpg

This is the area I will be modelling - Poole Station, the sidings just behind it, the sharp curve to the left of the station in the above pic, and the carriage siding just after the curve. The overpass as the Bournemouth end of the station will be a scenic break, and depending on what I can fit on my boards I will find a scenic break for the other end.

Speaking of boards, I've been allowed to grow. Hayling TMD was on a 6x2 ft board, whereas Poole will be around 11ft long!! Unfortunately I cannot go wider than 2ft, which may mean the track plan may need very slight alteration to fit in 00 gauge. Hopefully just the curves will need slight alteration to fit, but having the track laid out angular to the boards may help with this.

I'm also planning to make my layout a roundy-roundy .... If I can I will have the scenic breaks hiding the tracks going through 180 degrees and dropping to a lower level just under the baseboard which will allow trains to do a complete circle in only a 2ft width and unseen. This will need to be tested though to ensure the loco's can get up the incline.

And yes, it will have the 3rd rail fitted. The era will be open, meaning I can run trains from the BR blue 70s right through to the present day, and maybe even some kettles!!

So there we go, I've been quiet for a while and this is why! Hayling TMD will be demolished tomorrow and work will begin on Poole.

If anyone has any relevant information on this area, pictures especially, please add them to the thread as I will need all the help I can get for this project!!

Mark

Funny you should mention Hentis-Rail, it was his website that made my mind up! I was originally going to do the Hamworthy branch and the docks, but the lack of any passenger service was making me stumble. I came across the Hentis rail site and found the perfect mix of traffic and its not era specific.

I'm also only about 10 mins from Poole station so site visits should be easy!

Mark

• RMweb Premium

My home town station. I presume this will be in N gauge?

I'm just about to embark on a Templot plan for an OO version of Parkstone Bank (both parts and the station inbetween).

• RMweb Premium

11 feet isn't enough to fit Poole in in OO, unless some serious compression of lengths is done, so I have to presume this is more an 'inspired by' than an attempt to do an accurate layout?

The prototype station looks long enough to take a full length HST with room to spare, I plan to keep the station building but shorten the platform length a little, or a lot depending on how much I can fit in. It may end up that I model just the station and sidings, and have the carriage holding line 'offscene' with the sharp curve forming the scenic break. Either way the minimum platform length is 3 carriages, which will allow me to keep the station buildings and sidings.

Baseboards will be built tomorrow so il know more about how much I can get in then.

Mark

Just done a quick google maps measurement or two.

Towngate bridge to just after the point to the sidings is about 1200ft, 4800mm or 15ft

Towngate bridge to the end of the station is 858ft, 3400mm or 11ft

You have an additional problem, you mention 2ft width and roundy-roundy. That's fine for N-gauge, but that's not doable in 3mm/ft let alone OO. Even set-track doesn't go that tight!!!

As others have said look forward to your development of this idea, your google earth photo shows my old MR club, great bunch of blokes (Poole MRC) and my former workplace (the greyhound/speedway stadium). I know you said the era will be open as such and space limited, but have thought about possibly including the Blue Circle cement depot?? Regards G

• RMweb Premium

Have a careful think about era too. There have been at least three different station buildings for Poole. The originals up to late 60s/early 70s were on the down platform, just to the west of the flyover. These were demolished at least in part due to that flyover being built, and the grey precast concrete slab replacement put where the current building is. The current building came into service in the late 80s IIRC. So, excepting the 'it's my model railway and I can run what I like' scenario, certain stock and liveries only fit with certain buildings.

Regarding the two foot baseboard width, is that the baseboard width, so for a roundy-roundy you're going round the edges of a room? If not, then there's no practical way to get back round in OO, even first radius curves won't do it.

I don't know how to quote each of you individually, so il have to reply by name (sorry).

Katier - thanks for those measurements, they will come in handy for laying things out. I'm planning on shortening just the platform length, so that should hopefully get the length down to within my 11ft length. I've got the baseboards built at last so il be laying out some track shortly to see what I can fit in. Also please see below for the roundy roundy issue.

Aussiebrfan - I don't know anything about the cement place, I've only lived here for 5 years so still learning my way around. I will do some google and see what info I can find and see if I can fit it in as it would certainly add some interest!

Ian J - I plan to model what I can see now as far as possible. Although I'm modelling a prototype location, I have very little interest in the actual railway so making sure the correct train matches the correct building is very much a secondary concern. I know this sounds odd for a railway modeller, but my interest is firmly in the modelling aspect, the railway is just a nice thing to model. Having trains moving is just a nice way for me to add interest to the part of the hobby I really enjoy, without the trains I'd be happy to just have a plain diorama.

As for the roundy roundy issue, my idea is to have the track at each end of the layout pointing towards the front of the baseboards. This should hopefully give me the room to use 2nd radius curves to swing the track around and drop it down enough to go under the rear of the baseboards, and maybe include some kind of fiddle yard under there. I know it will be very tight, and may not even be possible in the space I have, but I'm hoping that I can find a way to make it work as it will make things so much more interesting.

Mark

Hornby second radius is 438mm or 876mm diameter which equates to 34.4 inches - i.e. 10" over what you have and that doesn't take into consideration the physical width of the track which means including giving yourself a bit of wiggle room you need a minimum of about 36-37" to complete a 180 degree turn in as you should never run the track right to the very edge of the board.

Honestly your best option is to move to n-gauge where you can do the plan with relative ease rather than trying to squeeze the preverbial quart into a gallon pot!! (yes I know it's normally a pint :P )

Hornby second radius is 438mm or 876mm diameter which equates to 34.4 inches - i.e. 10" over what you have and that doesn't take into consideration the physical width of the track which means including giving yourself a bit of wiggle room you need a minimum of about 36-37" to complete a 180 degree turn in as you should never run the track right to the very edge of the board.

Honestly your best option is to move to n-gauge where you can do the plan with relative ease rather than trying to squeeze the preverbial quart into a gallon pot!! (yes I know it's normally a pint :P )

You're quite right, it really doesn't fit, and there isn't a way to make it fit. Unless I go down to R1 curves ....

I also can't fit any fiddle yards in without losing the track plan completely, unless I have a removable yard at the carriage siding end, which still leaves the station end without a 'through train' so again doesn't work.

Also due to already having 00 loco's and stock, track and so on, moving to N gauge isn't an option for me. I'm also not a fan of the gauge, it just doesn't look right to me. And even though I'm only 32 I have fat workers fingers so I REALLY struggle with things that small!!

Why is nothing ever simple??

Mark

Some pictures of where I'm up to so far .....

The usual baseboard shots -

post-16914-0-21621400-1364160703_thumb.jpg

post-16914-0-41210900-1364160731_thumb.jpg

An overview of the track plan. This isn't exact as I just used what I had laying around. Some of the curves are incorrect -

post-16914-0-49040400-1364160937_thumb.jpg

The station end of the layout. The station will hold a 5 coach train, plenty long enough for a model and to keep the 'look' of Poole station. Due to only having 2 ft width I've had to adjust the angle slightly, so the loco siding is situated closer to the main lines than the prototype, however I don't think this will be too noticeable -

post-16914-0-83395000-1364160909_thumb.jpg

And the carriage siding end of the layout. Again the curves have had to be adapted slightly to get things looking right in model form, but I think it's an acceptable compromise and doesn't move too far from the prototype -

post-16914-0-88298000-1364160962_thumb.jpg

Next job is to find out what sleepers are used through Poole station and get some more track and points ordered. Looking at my current mock up I can probably go for express points for slightly more realism instead of the current small points, and the entrance to the carriage siding will be a curved point. I also need a 3-way point for the entrance to the sidings, that'll be fun!!

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Why is nothing ever simple??

Mark

How about modelling the original Poole station on a 'what if it still had passenger services' basis, at what is now called Hamworthy Goods? It was a terminating station, straight and narrow, with the docks afterwards:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hamworthy&hl=en&ll=50.710635,-1.995907&spn=0.001902,0.004823&sll=53.994854,-4.064941&sspn=6.83553,19.753418&oq=hamworthy&hnear=Hamworthy,+Poole,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18

As you live round the corner you'll doubtless be able to do most of your own research.However, here's a rare shot of the west end of the station with the sun shining.....

This is a brilliant picture, full of all the little details I hope to bring to my layout. A relatively rare picture of the signal box as well, another thing I hope to recreate if my scratchbuilding is up to it! Thank you very much for posting, and any more would be much appreciated. Would I be ok to save this picture for personal use please (will not be reproducing or reposting it)?

Although I live so close, having time to actually get there in daylight is a different matter!! I've not even had chance to go and buy the few bits of track I need. Hopefully this weekend will give me an hour to go and get a mass of pictures from as many angles as I can, and maybe some rough measurements of buildings and so on.

Mark

How about modelling the original Poole station on a 'what if it still had passenger services' basis, at what is now called Hamworthy Goods? It was a terminating station, straight and narrow, with the docks afterwards:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hamworthy&hl=en&ll=50.710635,-1.995907&spn=0.001902,0.004823&sll=53.994854,-4.064941&sspn=6.83553,19.753418&oq=hamworthy&hnear=Hamworthy,+Poole,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18

I did look at Hamworthy goods as a possible location, I quite fancied doing the dock area with my current employer making an appearance. However with the lack of any through trains, and the station being a 'what if' with no real pictures available I decided against it. Would be a great location for a larger layout, but the straight track plan and masses of Tarmac didn't quite fit with what I wanted in the small space I have.

Mark

Aah another layout based near me! this should look very good, i dont know if you have seen it but there is a brilliant book called rails around poole Harbour i think its an Oakwood press jobbie but is very good. Also looking forward to seeing some 442's

Mark,

Remember that there are only two roads in the carriage sidings. The way you've arranged the points in post #17, it looks like you're putting in more.

I didn't have enough pieces of straight track for the track plan, so used curves, and put the points where the track will straighten. The points won't actually be points when the track is laid. The Y point that I've used for the entrance to those sidings will also be replaced with a left hand curved point, the prototype isn't quite straight or curved so I've had to adapt slightly to what works best for my boards.

Something I am struggling with is how to add a fiddle yard at the station end. My roundy roundy plan is a non-starter so I'm looking at putting a removable fiddle yard each end at 90 degrees to the main boards. This works fine at the sidings end but will mean I have to pass through the station platform as the prototype track curves towards the rear of my boards and not the front. Unfortunately I can't hide this under the road flyover, so will have a proper play when I get more track.

Mark

Aah another layout based near me! this should look very good, i dont know if you have seen it but there is a brilliant book called rails around poole Harbour i think its an Oakwood press jobbie but is very good. Also looking forward to seeing some 442's

Thanks for the heads up, I'll google the book now and see if I can get hold of a copy. I'm also going to spend some time googling the trains that have passed through Poole in the last 30 years, which means I've got to learn all about EMU's!! This will be a first!!

Mark

Archived