Poole Station - progress is made

AngryMeerkat

• RMweb Premium

Trains through Poole post steam are the likes of the following:

Weymouth to Waterloo services:

1967 to 1988: 33/1s + 4TCs (either one or two 4TCs, depending on time of day). No RTR of a 4TC exists as at time of writing. Southern Pride did/do kits of them.

1988 to 2003/4: 442s (Wessex Electrics). No RTR exists, but I believe someone does a conversion kit for Lima or Hornby Mk3s.

Current: 444s (and 450s). No RTR exists, and I'm not even sure there are any kits.

Inter-Regionals:

1967 to late 80s/early 90s: 47s (mainly 47/4s, but later 47/8s) on a variety of stock from Mark 1s through to Mark 2Ds. I'm not sure about Mark 2E/Fs. Mark 3 Sleepers were around for a while in the later 80s/early 90s. I've seen pics of Hymeks on Inter-Regionals in the early 70s as well.

Specials:

The VSOE Pullmans were used on a Bournemouth Belle service for a while in the 80s. I can't remember exact dates though. There have been a number of railtours through Poole with both diesels and steam over the years, so plenty of scope for a bit of 'it's my railway and I'll run what I want' :)

Freight:

47s on bogie oil tanks up to the time (I can't remember when) the pipeline from Wytch Farm to Fawley was opened, then LPG tanks for a while. I can't remember when they finished.

47s on speedlink freights up to early 80s.

A variety of locos on Poole Docks freight (the previously mentioned 'Rails to Poole Harbour' is a fine source of detail for that).

Another book to look out for is Middleton Press's 'Bournemouth to Weymouth'. Poole has a section in that (and in their book for 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction' as well, though that by definition has more focus on steam than post steam as it's mainly about the now closed Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway).

I'm sure I've missed out information, so hopefully others here can help fill out the stuff I'm forgetting.

Trains through Poole post steam are the likes of the following:

Weymouth to Waterloo services:

1967 to 1988: 33/1s + 4TCs (either one or two 4TCs, depending on time of day). No RTR of a 4TC exists as at time of writing. Southern Pride did/do kits of them.

1988 to 2003/4: 442s (Wessex Electrics). No RTR exists, but I believe someone does a conversion kit for Lima or Hornby Mk3s.

Current: 444s (and 450s). No RTR exists, and I'm not even sure there are any kits.

Inter-Regionals:

1967 to late 80s/early 90s: 47s (mainly 47/4s, but later 47/8s) on a variety of stock from Mark 1s through to Mark 2Ds. I'm not sure about Mark 2E/Fs. Mark 3 Sleepers were around for a while in the later 80s/early 90s. I've seen pics of Hymeks on Inter-Regionals in the early 70s as well.

Specials:

The VSOE Pullmans were used on a Bournemouth Belle service for a while in the 80s. I can't remember exact dates though. There have been a number of railtours through Poole with both diesels and steam over the years, so plenty of scope for a bit of 'it's my railway and I'll run what I want' :)

Freight:

47s on bogie oil tanks up to the time (I can't remember when) the pipeline from Wytch Farm to Fawley was opened, then LPG tanks for a while. I can't remember when they finished.

47s on speedlink freights up to early 80s.

A variety of locos on Poole Docks freight (the previously mentioned 'Rails to Poole Harbour' is a fine source of detail for that).

Another book to look out for is Middleton Press's 'Bournemouth to Weymouth'. Poole has a section in that (and in their book for 'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction' as well, though that by definition has more focus on steam than post steam as it's mainly about the now closed Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway).

I'm sure I've missed out information, so hopefully others here can help fill out the stuff I'm forgetting.

Ian thank you so much for taking the time to post this, it's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to draw up. Information like this is priceless, and one of the main reasons this website and its contributors are so great.

I will also be sure to dig out a copy of Bournemouth To Weymouth for my library. I believe there is a shop on Poole front that sells books like these so will try and get in there on Saturday for some shopping, I prefer to help local business than shop over the Internet. And it gives me an excuse to go to the model shop in Poole (Sedgefields? Sedgewicks?) as well as my usual trip to Bournemouth Model Railway Centre.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Setchfields. Not really a patch on Geoff Barlow Models but that closed donkeys ago. Be careful of BMRC, if it's still being run by the owner I knew it had. I really don't want to say more in case I could get accused of libel :O

No problem re the help, it's good to pass on information from my musty memory to someone who can use it :)

• RMweb Premium

Additional info for inter-regionals (also known as cross country services):

HSTs were used for a while along side shorter 47+Aircon Mk2 trains in the late 80s/early 90s. Once Virgin got their Voyagers up and running the HSTs and 47s+Mark2s were pulled off the XC services, and then the XCs were terminated at Bournemouth instead of Poole. This happened in the 2000s I believe, but I can't remember exact dates and I'd moved away by then.

Setchfields. Not really a patch on Geoff Barlow Models but that closed donkeys ago. Be careful of BMRC, if it's still being run by the owner I knew it had. I really don't want to say more in case I could get accused of libel :O

No problem re the help, it's good to pass on information from my musty memory to someone who can use it :)

I know exactly what you mean, and no the owner hasn't changed.

I grew up with Hattons as my local model shop, I used to LOVE going in there to spend my pocket money!! Quite a contrast in many ways, but I prefer supporting local business despite the potential savings of mail order and .....

Setchfields isn't a bad shop, what they lack in loco's they make up for in wagon kits and the like. I enjoy having a browse and never leave empty handed. Might actually try there for my track, see how they compare and what kind of stock they carry. I think of it more as a 'bloke shop' than a model shop, the next door part is certainly interesting!!

Thanks for the info on the HSTs also, although I'll be avoiding them as the shortened model version just never looks right IMO. Nice models, but unless you run them full-length they always look toy-like.

Mark

Hurst Models, http://www.hurstmodels.com/4/hm_4mm.htm under "Units" and scroll down.

They're now in service with Gatwick Express and I see two double sets a day on the Brighton-London Bridge service.  I don't know why but I really do like the "Plastic Pigs" :)

The 450 could be converted from a bachman 350 as in reality its just the 350's fitted with overhead gear although the bogies have the shoe beams mounted on them. Other stock running localy are 37's we had some the other week on a special freight train occasional 66's too and of course regular summer steam spepcials to/from Swanage Weymouth.

Hi Mark,

Great to see someone attempting Poole as a model. Although from the northwest I use to spend all school holidays in the area and still have a lot of family down that way. I remember the late 80's when we use to go by train 87/88 if I remember rightly although I was only 8 at the time and travel on the class 47 hauled sets of Mk 2's running from Scotland. The new station was being built around that time and Electrification from Bournemouth to Weymouth.

I use to go to Geoff Barlow models and it was a fantastic shop sadly long gone from the lower end of the high street opposite sketchfields.

From around the early 90's class 60's went through the station on the LPG tanks from Furzebrook. The Ham goods often had a Cardiff based metals 37/7 on rakes of BDA's and covered Powell Duffryn steel wagons. Plenty of 442's and the slam door units CIGs, VEPs etc in NSE livery. From the stadium in the summer watching the speedway you would see several 47's terminate with rakes of Mk 2's and enter the carriage sidings to run round before leaving.

I have drawn a sketch of the station in the past with a view to modelling it although doubt I ever will. The road bridge at the end of the carriage sidings will make a good scenic break at that end. Shame you can't fit in the footbridge and level crossing at the high street. My cousin was a signalman on the southern and has worked Poole box among others in the past.

Will look forward to seeing this develop.

Mark

Good evening guys and gals, hope you're all well. Before I update on the layout I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who is posting pictures and information, the things you are providing are really helping me with the background and inspiration for this area.

So the update then, there is progress!! My baseboards are installed properly, levelled and fixed.

post-16914-0-87452200-1364675681_thumb.jpg

post-16914-0-28464700-1364675704_thumb.jpg

And track laying has started.

post-16914-0-67912000-1364675734_thumb.jpg

I started by laying the points on the main lines, as these dictate the space and angles for the rest of the track plan. They were laid as a pair and the holes drilled for the point motors, and from there the rest of the track was laid.

post-16914-0-41069800-1364675761_thumb.jpg

post-16914-0-16469300-1364675914_thumb.jpg

As some of you may notice, ive used 2 different types of sleepers on the through lines past the carriage sidings. this is as per the prototype pictures i have available, for some reason only a length of one line has been replaced. All that's left to lay are the very ends of the main lines and the sidings. The sidings will be done tomorrow, but there are 2 reasons why the main through lines haven't been finished .....

I've decided that as I can't get the track to turn tight enough to have a roundy roundy with the return passing under the baseboard, I'm having a fiddle yard at each end. The carriage sidings end of the layout is no problem to do, as the prototype track plan curves in that direction anyway. Unfortunately the station end of the layout is a different matter, when facing the station from the carriage sidings the track curves AWAY from where my fiddle yard has to be. I've spent a few days trying to work out what options I have available, from having the track terminating in the station to finding a way to fit a 1st radius helix at that end.

I've decided the best way is to mirror the curve at the far end of the station so it curves towards the front edge of the baseboard instead of away, it's not exactly as per the prototype but its the best I can do. My plan still has a curving end of the station, and fortunately I can obscure the alteration because the flyover at that end of the station is being used as a scenic break. The layout will still instantly say 'Poole Station' but this way also keeps the layout active and adds train movement interest.

Apart from that the rest of the track plan is as per the prototype within a reasonable modelling scenario. The loco siding and 2 longer sidings have been very slightly compressed and had the angle away from the through lines reduced slightly to fit within my 2ft width, but this is barely noticeable when compared to the google earth view of the station. Again it's a compromise I'm happy with, and hopefully will be approved of by those who know the station area.

So that's where we are upto at the moment. Tomorrow I will finish the sidings, add the main power bus and solder the droppers on, then hopefully test the layout.

Mark

Edit - after checking many pictures it appears there is little to no ballast shoulder on the area I'm modelling, which is why I've laid the track directly onto the baseboards. I did debate covering the whole top surface of the baseboards with cork, but I could see no practical reason to do so so I laid track on board

Just a quick update to say that the track is finally laid and wired!! Had my first few loco's running this afternoon and they showed that apart from the 3-way points there are no problems at all with track, running or power supply. The 3-way points show problems with some loco's derailing, but running these very slowly seems to eliminate this problem.

post-16914-0-51798700-1364837438_thumb.jpg

post-16914-0-17595200-1364837464_thumb.jpg

Next up is build the control panel and get all the point motors fitted and wired. Next week I will hopefully start laying the 3rd rail so things should start really progressing.

Mark

Sometimes my genius amazes even me!!

As with most of us, we make compromises when we build our layout. My compromise is I'm allowed to use the whole of the man-cave for my "playing trains" on the condition that when I've finished all I leave is a 2ft wide board along 1 wall. This was causing me some headaches when I was working out how to have a control panel, it needed to have a track plan with the points switches and space for a DCC controller but without interfering with my 2ft wide board.

Today I worked out how!! I had an epiphany in work, and tonight the work commenced. Unfortunately I ran out of MDF so I will have to finish tomorrow, which also means I will have to keep you all in suspense about what I've created. Pictures will arrive tomorrow though.

Mark

I only made one photo trip to Poole, here are a few shots from 1983:-

post-7081-0-29293000-1365161359_thumb.jpg

4TC sets 403 and 405 approach Poole propelled by 33116 on the 10.34 Weymouth - Waterloo,

In the yard is the trip loco 33031 which later worked a short train back to Eastleigh,12/4/83

post-7081-0-28129100-1365161380_thumb.jpg

33113 leading 4TC sets 411 and 415 arrives at Poole on the 09.35 Waterloo - Weymouth, 12/4/83

post-7081-0-24871600-1365161403_thumb.jpg

33113 now standing in the down platform on the 09.35 Waterloo - Weymouth 12/4/83

post-7081-0-49269500-1365161425_thumb.jpg

4TC set 415 on the rear of the 09.35 Waterloo - Weymouth departs hauled by 33113,

in the distance 47462 waits in the carriage sidings to form the 12.42 to Manchester Piccadilly, 12/4/83

cheers 

Fantastic pictures there Rivercider, thanks for posting. It's amazing how much has changed since those pictures were taken, even some of the track is now missing!!

Good to see the sidings in use also, it's rare to see anything other than a Railtrack machine in there nowadays. Thankfully your pictures give me a better idea of what they were used for and open up more operating potential.

Mark

Fantastic pictures there Rivercider, thanks for posting. It's amazing how much has changed since those pictures were taken, even some of the track is now missing!!

Good to see the sidings in use also, it's rare to see anything other than a Railtrack machine in there nowadays. Thankfully your pictures give me a better idea of what they were used for and open up more operating potential.

Mark

No problem, it sounds an interesting project.

I took another dozen or so pictures that day of variable quality, mostly the same or similar views as those four.

There are no good shots of the station buildings, though a couple of pictures do show a bit of yard "clutter" if you are interested,

cheers

Definitely interested in the 'yard clutter' pics if you don't mind posting them!

The station was rebuilt in the 80s (I think?) and pictures of the older station buildings are VERY hard to come by, same with the yard/sidings. This is the main reason I've decided to model what is there today, it's the only way I can get close to an accurate representation.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

You're right that few photos exist of the precast concrete 'monstrosity'. I don't believe I have any, I focussed on locos and the like, but I didn't have a good camera until after the present building went up in the late 80s.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few pics, not great quality as they were on a cheap Kodak 110 film camera. No details other than in what's visible in the pics though I'm afraid, I was never very good at compiling those.

post-6714-0-52891200-1365187827.jpg

post-6714-0-98747500-1365187827.jpg

post-6714-0-22964800-1365187830.jpg

post-6714-0-48421600-1365187830.jpg

VSOE Pullmans at Poole on Bournemouth Belle:

post-6714-0-81250400-1365187829.jpg

post-6714-0-25114800-1365187831.jpg

An overview of the yard in later years:

post-6714-0-72239800-1365187831.jpg

Ian, those pictures are absolutely brilliant!! The last pic of the yard is fantastic, it shows things from an angle I've not seen before, and also the carriages stored there add an interesting dimension. It's a shame the yard was halved in size, would love to find more pics of the industry served there.

If I have time this weekend I'm heading over to the station area to take some pictures, I will try and copy all the angles and locations of pictures already in this thread and show how much has changed in 20 years.

The more pictures I see from the 80s are making me wonder if It would still be a prototype if I use details from the 80s but with the current station building and track layout? I guess the signage would date the layout, but how much modelling license do you have in areas like this? I prefer the 'feel' of Poole station and sidings in a previous era, but without an accurate station building the whole plan falls apart. Argh so many possibilities!!

Mark

Ah yes, my brilliant idea from yesterday ......

So my control panel had to be stowed away when not in use, can you spot it?......

post-16914-0-99284600-1365194652_thumb.jpg

Yup, I got all creative and managed to build a frame. Then in the frame I put some drawer runners. Then built a shelf based control panel which will house all my point switches and DCC controller ....

post-16914-0-39245300-1365194679_thumb.jpg

It's a simple thing I know, but I'm really pleased with myself for actually working out how to do it, then actually getting it right!! Works a treat, and about the right size for everything to fit on.

I also took a trip to my local model shop today and got myself a few treats ....

post-16914-0-37818100-1365194775_thumb.jpg

Some new wagons for my loco's to play with. Oh wait, that's not really the main toy ....

post-16914-0-41625300-1365194707_thumb.jpg

Can you spot it?

post-16914-0-63370000-1365194738_thumb.jpg

Mmmm been after one of these for a while, and luckily Bournemouth Model Railway Centre came through and sorted me a great deal. No connection just a happy customer, but again really pleased with the service I got in there. I know not everyone gets on with them, and that's understandable, but I don't mind them.

Anyway now I have a control panel I can get round to fitting and wiring my point motors! Progress at last!!

Mark

Here are the best of my other photos of Poole, I wish I had taken a shot of the yard from the bridge like Ians. 

A couple of the pictures show a part of the yard with an old wooden container, piles of wood sleepers and a railway van.

post-7081-0-92583300-1365242223_thumb.jpg

The 11.34 Weymouth - Waterloo stands in the up platform at Poole 4TC set 433 is being propelled by 33105, 12/4/83

post-7081-0-09375900-1365242238_thumb.jpg

33031 prepares to leave with a trip to Eastleigh, 12/4/83

I have a Speedlink Train Service list for May 1982 which shows 6W70 11.35 Mon-Thu Furzebrook - Eastleigh

which was due to call at Poole departing 12.59, it could be this service.

6W57 was a 08.20 Eastleigh - Furzebrook shown to call at Poole at 09.43 on the way down.

post-7081-0-10578200-1365242258_thumb.jpg

47063 passes through Poole with 100 tonne tanks on the up road, my notes say this was a Furzebrook-Llandarcy working, 12/4/83

post-7081-0-25993800-1365242276_thumb.jpg

47513 Severn approaches Poole from the carriage sidings with stock for the 14.40 departure for Liverpool Lime Street, 12/4/83 

cheers

Archived