Swanage Railway Engine Shed

aussiebrfan

Gday all, I have been looking to no avail for a suitable engine shed for my Swanage inspired SR seaside branch terminus( OO, 1955-1960)

After scouring the internet for any suitable kits or RTP that may be adaptable, I have come to the conclusion that scratchbuilding something could give me a more pleasing result. All depending on my building skills of course!  :blind:

There are some fantastic photos available on Flicker of what the shed at Swanage looks like now and back in its prime, have just spent an enjoyable hour on there.

With scratchbuilding in mind I'm thinking that with the appropriate Wills stone, slate and wooden plank sheets I would give it a go. Could anyone please point me in right direction of where to search out some dimensions or scale plans/drawings, I'm imagining that there might have something in an old RM at sometime but any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated, regards G

• RMweb Gold

If you don't find any drawings then you can get rough dimensions off google maps as the turntable is 50ft long, the shed is very close so I guess is probably a fraction longer to accomodate the biggest loco that fitted on the table. It has doors both ends too.

http://www.tt.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ts/turnInfo.asp?Ref=15

Anyone who is thinking of basing a layout on Swanage would be well advised to find a copy of Volume 1 of Branchlines of the Southern Railway - Reeves and Hawkins - Wild Swan - sinece, apart from a detailed description of the line, it also has drawings for the main station building, goods shed and loco shed at Swanage, as well as others at Corfe.  There is also a drawing of the shed in An Illustrated Survey of Engine Southern Engine Sheds, with an explanation as to why the later views show a larger door opening!

Also remember that the wall nearest the turntable was changed sometime in the 50's after an M7 struck it also the gable was changed at that time too cause of the accident. The ratio kit for the single road locoshed is based on Sidmouth not too disimilar if you wanted a base to scratch build round?

To Nick and Tom, thankyou both very much for taking the time to respond. You have given me some excellent leads to follow up on, didnt know about the M7 incident and will now be taking a closer look at Sidmouth as well, cheers G   :sungum:

I hope I am doing this correctly, a little of the old dogs new tricks syndrome with this forum idea. This is the first time I have put anything on one!  I have drawings of Swanage loco shed with dimensions somewhere, if you give me a couple of days I will locate and then get one my daughter to show me how to get a copy of it to you electronically if you wish. The only thing that is not correct on the drawing is that the taller two of the roof vents are shown as being over the ridge, when they are actually to one side of the ridge. The other main thing to note is that original (prior to the M7 mishap) front and rear entrances are not central in the walls  

Have been ‘playing’ with the Swanage idea for some years and have scratch built from card and other materials a model of the shed. This started off as a mock up to give an accurate idea of the size in 7mm, then got carried away and made stone overlays, windows, guttering etc. The Purbeck stone is a challenge which I have not overcome yet, but I am giving it lots of thought.  

I am sure that I have an A4 size copy of the original track layout as well. This shows the signal box in the original place on the goods shed side of the track. Churchward Models do a kit for the original signal box. They are part of www.modelexmodelrailways.co.uk

Regards

Rich

Archived