NEM Couping Pocket: new design

Padishar Creel

Hallo RMWebbers,

I bought a MK1 FO and noticed that the coupling pocket has a different design to the previous MK1 coaches. The end of the long shank coupling has a different design leading to the situation that the current short shank couplings to not clip in snugly and fall out at the slightest of pressure.

Anyone out there bought the other new MK1 offerings (RU, RFO etc)? Has anyone had the MK2As in their hands? Are they all now to the new design?

Also does anyone out there have a hot-line to the Bachmann/Farish design dept. to find out if there will be "new design" short shank couplings available? If so when?

The Dapol's NEM spare couplings do fit the Farish new design.

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

PC

Hmm, I have heard in the past that Farish's previous NEM pockets were a bit too snug. It is possible that they have corrected it which may mean that their old couplers are too loose to fit in the new, correctly sized pockets.

This is just supposition based on the fact I have heard people say in the past that getting Dapol NEMs into the Farish pockets was a tight squeeze.

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

today I fitted a Dapol Easyshunt coupling to one of my GraFar Mk1, it is very hard to fit the Dapol NEM coupling to a Farish pocket. On the

other side, if you fit a GraFar NEM coupling into a Dapol NEM coupler pocket it sat to loose in it.

In the past I tried the Dapol NEM coupler in a Minitrix coupler pocket and it fit's perfect. But the Farish NEM couplers sits

again very loose in the Minitrix coupler pocket. So it seems to me that, the Dapol coupler and pocket fits to the NEM standarts.

Markus

I have read elsewhere on this board a post by Dapol Dave where I believe he stated - or at least intimated - that the original Farish NEM coupler and coupler pockets were not actually to NEM standards.  I believe this was in the context of the Dapol Easy-shunt couplers being a difficult retro-fit into Farish NEM pockets because the Farish pockets were too snug.  Having tried it myself I can personally attest that the Easy-shunt couplers are a very tight squeeze into Farish NEM pockets (and truly very difficult to remove without breaking anything once in).

I should also note that if you compare and "eyeball" the lugs of Farish and Dapol NEM Rapido couplers, you can actually see the Dapol lugs are thicker than the Farish ones.  The difference is that noticeable.

Based on the anecdotal reports in this thread, it may be that Farish have corrected its NEM couplers and pockets to now actually comply with NEM standards (if indeed they didn't comply with them in the first place.)

Kudos to Farish for fixing the problem but it's a pity if (as it seems) they botched it in the first place.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I have actually damaged a Dapol Easy shunt coupler trying to fit it to a Farish mk1. If they are too tight I now put a srewdriver inot the Farish NEM to try and stetch it prior to putting the coupler in.

If NEM couplers are too loose then I use a small drop of canopy glue to hold the coupler at the correct level. This has the advantage over Superglue that it can be removed later if need be.

Ian

After experimenting with various couplings I had in my collection, the Fleischmann profi fits perfectly, so Farish have now moved over to the Euro-norm. 

There is a small business here in Deutschland called Eichhorn and he supplies short shank Euronorm couplers as a direct replacement for those not wanting to fit Profi couplings and I sent in an order yesterday. Werner Eichhorn replied within the hour (it was a Sunday evening so respect!). These will today be posted to me. 

And slightly off topic but related he also sells short shank couplings as replacements for non-NEM couplings. There are many types and I chose the two which look as though they will fit Farish boges (à la 100Ton Tank or B1s/B4s) and pockets (à la MK1 Pullmans and box vans). My hope is that they fit the box vans which really do need a more realistic gap between them

They may not be the cheapest for the UK market (and packaging and freight may add higher cost to non-D addresses) however at €1,- per item (non-NEM) and €1,45 or less (NEM) I feel they are worth it.

I will let you know of the results

es grüßt

PC

• RMweb Premium

I found the Farish short NEMs are a very loose fit in the SR pill-box brake vans--haven't looked at the pockets but maybe it's the same situation as with the coaches.

Hallo RMWebbers,

I bought a MK1 FO and noticed that the coupling pocket has a different design to the previous MK1 coaches. The end of the long shank coupling has a different design leading to the situation that the current short shank couplings to not clip in snugly and fall out at the slightest of pressure.

Anyone out there bought the other new MK1 offerings (RU, RFO etc)? Has anyone had the MK2As in their hands? Are they all now to the new design?

Also does anyone out there have a hot-line to the Bachmann/Farish design dept. to find out if there will be "new design" short shank couplings available? If so when?

The Dapol's NEM spare couplings do fit the Farish new design.

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

PC

• RMweb Premium

A short-shank non-NEM sprung Rapido would certainly be a great benefit. The Pullmans are crying out for gap-closing. No other types seem to fit them (and the Suburbans). I look forward to hearing the results of your investigations. Incidentally the forthcoming Southern 4-wheel box vans are shown in the 2013/14 catalogue to have NEM couplings.

After experimenting with various couplings I had in my collection, the Fleischmann profi fits perfectly, so Farish have now moved over to the Euro-norm. 

There is a small business here in Deutschland called Eichhorn and he supplies short shank Euronorm couplers as a direct replacement for those not wanting to fit Profi couplings and I sent in an order yesterday. Werner Eichhorn replied within the hour (it was a Sunday evening so respect!). These will today be posted to me. 

And slightly off topic but related he also sells short shank couplings as replacements for non-NEM couplings. There are many types and I chose the two which look as though they will fit Farish boges (à la 100Ton Tank or B1s/B4s) and pockets (à la MK1 Pullmans and box vans). My hope is that they fit the box vans which really do need a more realistic gap between them

They may not be the cheapest for the UK market (and packaging and freight may add higher cost to non-D addresses) however at €1,- per item (non-NEM) and €1,45 or less (NEM) I feel they are worth it.

I will let you know of the results

es grüßt

PC

As someone with both UK and German layouts I have found that the earlier Farish NEM pockets were a tight fit for ANY other manufacturer's coupler heads, not just Dapol ones.  I have found that taking a Farish coupler head out (either to change it or leave it off the front of a loco) has needed a separate pot to store them in.   In a loaded train - and on a 5-foot German layout that train isn't long- I have had Farish NEM heads pull out of the pockets of Fleischmann, Brawa, Piko etc NEM pockets.......

Despite not saying so it seems that Farish hasn't (until now) been singing off the same hymn sheet as all other manufacturers.  Nice to know they seem to have changed.

The other recent problem I've had is with banana-shaped coupler heads on Mark 1 composites (which prototype train formation required me to put either side of a Dapol buffet).  Before anyone says "droopy Dapol couplings" the said compos wouldn't staycoupled to other new Farish Mark 1s ether.   Problem was solved by fitting spare heads robbed from steam loco fronts.

All the very best

Les

Hallo,

The short-shank NEM couplings turned out not to have that much of a short shank, with little advantage over the standard length. Photos are not worth posting. It looks as though careful marshalling is necessary. With the MK2s and sleepers coming I will probably couple together using the Dapol NEMcoup between them as they fit the new coupling pocket perfectly. The Dapol NEMcoup do just fit the older style Farish pocket (very tight) so I do not see any insurmountable problems. Saying this, Farish would score brownie points by making new-style short shank couplings available - I wonder..............

Regarding the non-NEM couplings they proved to be more successful. They are made from brass and coloured brown, however the colour does rub off with handling, exposing the brass beneath.

The couplings are the size of the Farish short shank without NEM pocket fixture and item 13043 has a locating pip similar to the standard coupling while item 13044 does not, however in a coupling pocket as fitted on the box vans and Commonwealth bogies both styles fit well. 

The Pullmans are marshalled one standard next to one short shank and obviously cannot go round curves that are too tight due to buffer locking, but I found having coaches marshalled behind my four Pullmans added drag and helped to keep the corridor connections far enough apart to prevent de-railing. GUVs, MK2s are also fitted with one standard coupling together with one short shank, the old style blue/grey MK1s and box vans are two short shank together.

Hope the photos give you all a feel for the effect. For me the biggest gain is with the box vans. My older style MK1s, GUVs now languish in boxes my MK2s soon to do so.

I will be buying a few more 13043 from Werner Eichhorn

es grüßt

PC

post-10017-0-84785100-1364578531_thumb.jpg

post-10017-0-84293600-1364578576_thumb.jpg

post-10017-0-85454700-1364578602_thumb.jpg

post-10017-0-58864800-1364578666_thumb.jpg

post-10017-0-87393200-1364578417_thumb.jpg

post-10017-0-15862700-1364578450_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hallo,

The short-shank NEM couplings turned out not to have that much of a short shank, with little advantage over the standard length. Photos are not worth posting. It looks as though careful marshalling is necessary. With the MK2s and sleepers coming I will probably couple together using the Dapol NEMcoup between them as they fit the new coupling pocket perfectly. The Dapol NEMcoup do just fit the older style Farish pocket (very tight) so I do not see any insurmountable problems. Saying this, Farish would score brownie points by making new-style short shank couplings available - I wonder..............

Regarding the non-NEM couplings they proved to be more successful. They are made from brass and coloured brown, however the colour does rub off with handling, exposing the brass beneath.

The couplings are the size of the Farish short shank without NEM pocket fixture and item 13043 has a locating pip similar to the standard coupling while item 13044 does not, however in a coupling pocket as fitted on the box vans and Commonwealth bogies both styles fit well. 

The Pullmans are marshalled one standard next to one short shank and obviously cannot go round curves that are too tight due to buffer locking, but I found having coaches marshalled behind my four Pullmans added drag and helped to keep the corridor connections far enough apart to prevent de-railing. GUVs, MK2s are also fitted with one standard coupling together with one short shank, the old style blue/grey MK1s and box vans are two short shank together.

Hope the photos give you all a feel for the effect. For me the biggest gain is with the box vans. My older style MK1s, GUVs now languish in boxes my MK2s soon to do so.

es grüßt

PC

attachicon.gif2013vans.jpg

attachicon.gif2013vans2.jpg

attachicon.gif2013Pullmans.jpg

attachicon.gif2013MK2s.jpg

attachicon.gif2013GUVs.jpg

attachicon.gif2013MK1s.jpg

Thank you so much Padisher Creel for the  research and photos; I'll definitely order some 13043s for my Pullmans--what a difference they make--brings them right up to the standard of the Blue Riband Mark 1s. Will be interesting to see their effect on the suburbans too!

Hallo,

es grüßt

PC

attachicon.gif2013vans.jpg

attachicon.gif2013vans2.jpg

attachicon.gif2013Pullmans.jpg

attachicon.gif2013MK2s.jpg

attachicon.gif2013GUVs.jpg

attachicon.gif2013MK1s.jpg

You could even remove some buffer heads. It's unlikely anyone will notice unless you tell them!

Peter

You could even remove some buffer heads. It's unlikely anyone will notice unless you tell them!

Peter

or cut the heads off, shorten the shank and glue them back on again.  Even fewer would notice but those who do would think you had cleverly done retracted buffers....   (even if the prototype didn't have them, on which point I honestly don't know the answer.....)

All the very best

Les

If you want short shank rapidos that fit non-NEM Farish pockets, the Dapol ones are ideal. I've fitted a few of these as an experiment to Mk4 stock, and the results are a major improvement (no buffers to cause issues, so can close the gap right up).

Before:

post-7627-0-67241100-1364776949_thumb.jpg

After:

post-7627-0-20091000-1364776968_thumb.jpg

These are about as close as this stock can couple without problems on 9" curves.

Cheers,
Alan

• RMweb Premium

Where did you get these Dr Al? I can't see them on Dapol or Hattons sites. I'm surprised that they even exist, as Padisher Creel's German ones are the first I've come across.

If you want short shank rapidos that fit non-NEM Farish pockets, the Dapol ones are ideal. I've fitted a few of these as an experiment to Mk4 stock, and the results are a major improvement (no buffers to cause issues, so can close the gap right up).

Before:

attachicon.gif20130331_170821.jpg

After:

attachicon.gif20130331_170804.jpg

These are about as close as this stock can couple without problems on 9" curves.

Cheers,
Alan

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you so much Padisher Creel for the  research and photos; I'll definitely order some 13043s for my Pullmans--what a difference they make--brings them right up to the standard of the Blue Riband Mark 1s. Will be interesting to see their effect on the suburbans too!

Pullmans now fitted successfully with the 13043s--not tested in service yet but I'm very confident they'll be ok. Also fitted to the mark 1 suburbans (ends of rake only) as the gluing method gives a shorter gap, even with 13043s on both coaches. I've also fitted them to wagons used as translators between rapido-fitted stock and those with American Bachmann 42532s which I fitted previously; they certainly give a smaller gap than the standard couplings and look much better on uncoupled wagons; maybe the most effective wagon to demonstrate this is the Farish conflat; my TMC shunter's truck is much improved and couples closely and without problems to a short-NEM-fitted 04 shunter.

The only problem in buying from Werner is that my bank charged me a flat fee of £25 for an international payment!

• 6 months later...

Hallo,

Please see my new post #79 in the Farish MK2a thread, there is now a Euro NEM short shank coupling available through Werner Eichhorn (he wanted me to stress that he takes PayPal which reduces costs) which really does have the required results. 

I have given a few more details and posted photos for clarification.

es grüßt

PC 

• RMweb Premium

That's great Padishar--thanks a lot for your efforts. Good too that you've re-activated this   thread for this subject, as the Bulleids and Mark 1 sleepers will be on their way soon and the Mark 2fs a bit further on. Werner was certainly good to deal with and the Paypal news is brilliant.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've heard from Bachmann (Colin Allbright via Richard Proudman) on this subject now:--

''A revised short length coupling has been developed and is already in use on two new products to be released this year, namely the china clay wagon which is initially for Kernow and our own Covhop wagon. At this point in time availability as an accessory has yet to be agreed. When a decision is reached we will make an announcement''

Good news and I think it's unlikely it'll be a negative announcement!

Hi,

Good News Crepello! Out if scope (sorry, Admins) I wonder if we can persuade them to provide new style B4 and CW bogies are spares.......... I know of at least one BachFar employee who agrees they should be available

Back to the topic,

Ever since seeing an ad in Railway Modeller for Röwa coaches way way back (1973 maybe?), I have always strived to fit close coupling on stock somehow. So when I received MK1 Sleepers recently, I saw that the gap between MK1 sleepers seems to be greater than between other MK1s as a close coupling effect is only with an Eichhorn short shank (K) coupling and a Farish short shank coupling.

But although the coupling pocket is the Euro style there is a lip to it to hold the old style Farish short shank firmly!

Can't wait for the SLFs - even with a short rake they look great with the Nightcap Bar - and of course Nightcap Bar has couplings as per Pullman photo in post nr. 12

es grüßt

PC

Archived