57xx's Workbench - more wagons and a Siphon C

57xx

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You will find that you need fewer coats of the chocolate brown paint over the top of a dark undercoat as regardless of the type of paint, dark browns don't cover particularly well. 

Yeah, when I was doing a couple of LMS vans in LMS bauxite, I followed the Phoenix Precision advice to use white undercoat (their site suggests all their paint is formulated for a white undercoat (or I've misread it)).  Never again! Coverage was a nightmare, it took about 3 sessions to get something passing muster.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Yeah, when I was doing a couple of LMS vans in LMS bauxite, I followed the Phoenix Precision advice to use white undercoat (their site suggests all their paint is formulated for a white undercoat (or I've misread it)).  Never again! Coverage was a nightmare, it took about 3 sessions to get something passing muster.

What white primer did you use? I have found that the coverage of Precision paint is rather dependent on the primer - not that I've found a good white primer for this; Halfords grey plastic primer and red primer are OK but I've not been so satisfied using Acid 8 etch primer, which is a light grey. In other words, I think the issue may be paint chemistry rather than colour.

Edited by Compound2632

Interesting, I now use Acid 8 exclusively, sometimes straight from the aerosol can, sometimes via an old badger airbrush, and have had good results with a wide range of colours from my Iwata airbrush - eg LSWR pea green, NSR red lake and GER ultramarine blue, plus vermillion buffer beams & inside frames and tan cab interiors. Brush painted black areas take two, sometimes three thin coats.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Battledown said:

Interesting, I now use Acid 8 exclusively, sometimes straight from the aerosol can, sometimes via an old badger airbrush, and have had good results with a wide range of colours from my Iwata airbrush - eg LSWR pea green, NSR red lake and GER ultramarine blue, plus vermillion buffer beams & inside frames and tan cab interiors. Brush painted black areas take two, sometimes three thin coats.

I should perhaps clarify that after aerosol primer, I'm always brush painting.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

What white primer did you use? I have found that the coverage of Precision paint is rather dependent on the primer - not that I've found a good white primer for this; Halfords grey plastic primer and red primer are OK but I've not been so satisfied using Acid 8 etch primer, which is a light grey. In other words, I think the issue may be paint chemistry rather than colour.

I used the PP white enamel primer as specced on their site. I used to religiously use Halfords rattle cans but they are not very cost effective and quite wasteful. Coverage of enamel top coats on them was always good. Once my current stock is gone, no more will be bought. This is also one of the reasons for having a play with the Vallejo acrylic primers.

Edited by 57xx
Clarity and speeling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I used the PP white enamel primer as specced on their site. I used to religiously use halfotds rattle cans but they are not very cost effective and quite wasteful. Coverage on them was always good. Once my current stock is gone, no more will bw bought.

I used to use Halfrauds plastic primer but when the local store closed I switched to Hycote grey plastic primer from Amazon (cheaper and larger 400ml can) however I have been experimenting with Stynylrez Airbrush Primer

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/03/2024 at 16:19, chuffinghell said:

I used to use Halfrauds plastic primer but when the local store closed I switched to Hycote grey plastic primer from Amazon (cheaper and larger 400ml can) however I have been experimenting with Stynylrez Airbrush Primer

Thought I'd written a response to this, I remember looking that up after you posted. I suspect it will be similar to the Valejjo one, sounds it from the description.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Thought I'd written a response to this, I remember looking that up after you posted. I suspect it will be similar to the Valejjo one, sounds it from the description.

Although I like and use Vallejo paints their primer is awful! It just rubs off.

The Stynylrez primer does adhere better though

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

The Fruit D has it's top coat of brown now, I'm pleased with how it has come out. Just need to get all the lowers painted black next and then find my HRMS sheet of  transfers

Fruit D-11.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 4