Dave Fs unknown location images

DaveF

• RMweb Gold

As many of you know I am currently scanning Dad's old black and white photos from 1947 to around 1955.  Identifying the images is a fairly slow task as the numbers in Dad's notes do not always match the positions in the albums, for a number of reasons which I know about.   Also there are sets of prints, often contact prints, for which I have no information at all.

I think he did contact prints of everything and selected ones to print to postcard size or larger, anything up to 20x16.

Over the years many had been lost or given away, along with almost all the negatives which were lost in  a house move.

Some of the locations I know, some I can work out by looking at other photos.

That leaves me with some I cannot be sure, or even haven't got a clue about.

I have to admit there are also a few of my own images where I have written down the wrong locations and cannot now identify them.

I thought I would start this thread to use from time to time to post photos where I have got stuck and neither I nor friends can identify them.

So as a starter here are two, which I think will prove suitably taxing.

General clues are that he had track permits for quite large areas areas around Nottingham, Grantham, Rugby.  He also lived for some time in Cambridge and may have had a track permit or at least easy access there and around March as well.

post-5613-0-66877900-1364163748_thumb.jpg

J 1378 A wagon being lifted up a coaling plant somewhere.  Could it be Colwick or Nottingham?  Or somewhere else?

post-5613-0-99458700-1364163753_thumb.jpg

A  B1 in LNER livery, No 1056.  There are no location clues in the image, does anyone know where it was shedded around 1947-9?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

More images will be added whenever I get stuck.

David

As many of you know I am currently scanning Dad's old black and white photos from 1947 to around 1955.  Identifying the images is a fairly slow task as the numbers in Dad's notes do not always match the positions in the albums, for a number of reasons which I know about.   Also there are sets of prints, often contact prints, for which I have no information at all.

I think he did contact prints of everything and selected ones to print to postcard size or larger, anything up to 20x16.

Over the years many had been lost or given away, along with almost all the negatives which were lost in  a house move.

Some of the locations I know, some I can work out by looking at other photos.

That leaves me with some I cannot be sure, or even haven't got a clue about.

I have to admit there are also a few of my own images where I have written down the wrong locations and cannot now identify them.

I thought I would start this thread to use from time to time to post photos where I have got stuck and neither I nor friends can identify them.

So as a starter here are two, which I think will prove suitably taxing.

General clues are that he had track permits for quite large areas areas around Nottingham, Grantham, Rugby.  He also lived for some time in Cambridge and may have had a track permit or at least easy access there and around March as well.

attachicon.gifJVol1378.jpg

J 1378 A wagon being lifted up a coaling plant somewhere.  Could it be Colwick or Nottingham?  Or somewhere else?

attachicon.gifJVol1381.jpg

A  B1 in LNER livery, No 1056.  There are no location clues in the image, does anyone know where it was shedded around 1947-9?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

More images will be added whenever I get stuck.

David

Judging by all your previous shots, I reckon 31A Cambridge shed would be a front runner here. I certainly remember 61056 from the the '50s for what it is worth, and being shedded at Ipswich apparently, would have easily made it to Cambridge. Also for some reason the coaling tower at 31A was a 'famous' one, possibly because of ease of access? Mind you, so was 31B March...

The shot of the B1 just somehow reminds me of the front of the shed, alongside platform 6. The well trodden ballast suggests somewhere busy, like the front of the shed, rather than out in the yards somewhere?

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

2 more tonight.

I've no idea where they were taken, though I have a feeling I should recognise them.  I have no information at all about them.

They are scanned from contact prints (I've trimmed the empty sky) and are not sharp which is probably why they do not exist as bigger prints.

When looking at them it may be worth bearing in mind Dad's usual haunts, as outlined in the first post, though he did sometimes go to other places.

Date probably 1947-9.  Certainly not pre 47 as I think he was in India then.

post-5613-0-38444200-1364250400_thumb.jpg

JVol1385

Ex GCR O4 in the foreground

post-5613-0-46538200-1364250405_thumb.jpg

JVol1386

I think it's a B1 in the foreground on an ordinary passenger working judging by the headcode.

I get the feeling that the one with the O4 in could be March? Only knowing March as it is now, with just the two platforms in use, there are others which would have led to the sharp curve towards Whitemoor yard under the bridge where the photo was taken from, although I'm darned if I could say how many disused platforms there are! The curve now starts from the end of the mainline (Peterborugh-Ely) platforms, which are furthest from the camera in that shot.

• RMweb Gold

I get the feeling that the one with the O4 in could be March? Only knowing March as it is now, with just the two platforms in use, there are others which would have led to the sharp curve towards Whitemoor yard under the bridge where the photo was taken from, although I'm darned if I could say how many disused platforms there are! The curve now starts from the end of the mainline (Peterborugh-Ely) platforms, which are furthest from the camera in that shot.

The second one is definately March with the Whitemoor lines curving off. First is probably looking the other way off the same bridge

Tony

Many thanks to you both for the helpful comments.  It also enables me to sort out a few other unknowns which now seem likely to be March.

David

Many thanks to you both for the helpful comments.  It also enables me to sort out a few other unknowns which now seem likely to be March.

David

Both shots are from Norwood Road bridge at March, looking in opposite directions. More please!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Two more I can't identify, but I don't hold out much hope of anyone knowing these in detail.

I just hope I'm proved wrong!

post-5613-0-08328000-1364588224_thumb.jpg

JVol1388

Obviously an O4.  Likely to be in the Nottingham area on the Great Central - or is it on the GNR in (possibly) the Daybrook area?

post-5613-0-58009900-1364588227_thumb.jpg

JVol1407 unknown place

I think this Southern Mogul was taken somewhere between Exeter Central and Bude in August 1949 on Dad's honeymoon.  Obviously taken from the train.  Any ideas where?

David

Hi Dave, re the O4 something of a guess, although I'm sure I've seen a similar photo somewhere before, no idea where though!

It could be the bridge over Arnold Road carrying the line from the GC at Bagthorpe Junction to the GN at Basford and Bulwell, later Basford North. Could, of course, also be the GC main line in the same area. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, re the O4 something of a guess, although I'm sure I've seen a similar photo somewhere before, no idea where though!

It could be the bridge over Arnold Road carrying the line from the GC at Bagthorpe Junction to the GN at Basford and Bulwell, later Basford North. Could, of course, also be the GC main line in the same area. 

I thought of the same area, I'm sure I saw a picture of that bridge or one of the same type recently

• RMweb Gold

I'm with Paul at Halwill. That N is on the Padstow portion of an up service, while the photographer is on the Bude portion. The Bude portion would have arrived first in the up platform. The loco would then have run round and drawn its train back onto the Bude branch, where it is now arriving. The ladder to the right of the pic is on the front of #29 bracket signal, the Bude branch Up Home. The rather weak-looking lattice post carries a lamp for the Middle Siding. The 330-level gradient post is between the two. Irwell Press's book on the North Cornwall Railway has a gradient profile which shows such a 330-level just there on the Bude branch.

• RMweb Gold

Given that JVol1391 posted today is at Loughborough Station, could the O4 be at the bridge over the Nottingham Road by the Brush Works in Loughborough?

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/getobjectmap.php?rnum=L2181&mapid=453320.jpg&mlsref=1032&cmn=Loughborough

Check out Google Earth's Street View, that telegraph pole is still there. (52°46'48.48" N   1°11'36.48" W)

• RMweb Gold

Given that JVol1391 posted today is at Loughborough Station, could the O4 be at the bridge over the Nottingham Road by the Brush Works in Loughborough?

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/getobjectmap.php?rnum=L2181&mapid=453320.jpg&mlsref=1032&cmn=Loughborough

Check out Google Earth's Street View, that telegraph pole is still there. (52°46'48.48" N   1°11'36.48" W)

Looking at it again you could well be right.  By the way, don't assume that the image numbers are chronological - I've discovered that many are not!  Fortunately I do have a partial list of negatives for some years which helps a bit.

I went under the bridge at Loughborough very many times as a child on my bicycle (and over it on trains), so I ought to have recognised it - I thought it was a bit familiar.

Even the shadowy building looks like the end of the Brush building.  Sometime I must ask Mum as she worked there designing turbines during the war (she is a mathematician).

Many thanks.

David

• RMweb Gold

Two more for you today.

Does no one know where yesterday's was taken?

post-5613-0-37832500-1364893733_thumb.jpg

A B1, no number on the bufferbeam, probably taken early in 1948.  Judging by the disc headcode for an ordinary passenger service it is on the Great Eastern.  Once again I think I should know the location but cannot place it.

post-5613-0-46538800-1364893737_thumb.jpg

A J6 taken in the early 1950s.  In 1950 it was shedded at Grantham.  I thought of Nottingham Victoria but am not quite sure.  Can anyone confirm that (or suggest somewhere else?.

These are the last unknowns from Volume 1 of Dad's images, later today I'll be starting on Vol 2, which I think are more fully captioned.  If I come across any without locations I'll continue to post them here.

David

Edited for spelling.

One for this afternoon.  Probably taken fairly late in 1947.

Loco is a Great Northern 0-6-0, perhaps a J2?

But where is it?

attachicon.gifWhere is it GNR J2 perhaps 1947 JVol1431.jpg

David

I'll take a long shot on Fletton Road Junction, Peterborough. I have nothing whatsoever to back this up, but if I'm right it's Peterborough East off stage to the right and GNR Nene viaduct off stage to the left. The loco is headed from the GER lines towards the LNWR/MR (more probably the latter).

I regret to say #24 top isn't Stamford MR; there was no covered bridge and the awnings are all wrong, at the very least. Unfortunately I can't place it.

Archived