Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

More google finds....

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2011-08-aug/gr-diesel_roster

Fri, 2014-05-16 09:06 — Montanan
I also freelance and chose to use Alco locomotives. Although they were not numerous in the area I chose to model, southwestern Montana, I always liked the look of them. These were Atlas units I picked up when they first came out in the early 80's I believe, and are still excellent running locomotives. After coming up with a "family" paint job, each class of locomotive was numbered. It works for me. Yes, there are a couple of EMD units also. There are a few more Alcos that are not in the picture, probably in the hidden staging area.

0020(1).jpg

• Like 3

But, madness is a prerequisite, not an outcome.

Poverty could probably be avoided, but, for anyone not of great wealth, only by undertaking so much scratchbuilding as to make divorce a near certainty in the modern age ....... ninety years ago things seem to have been different.

K

Although I'm still not telling what I've got in mind, I'm starting to gather together all the stuff that will be leftover from my other layouts. This is a mixture of things I've had for decades, and things bought more recently (cheaply of course!*) that it looks as though I won't now need. So the only poverty involved in this one will be that I'm running out of space in the railway room. Madness, of course, is definitely a prerequisite :).

* Some of this is the result of buying secondhand stuff to knock about, then being given better stuff by a couple of people, one of whom will undoubtedly see this!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'd not heard of this exhibition layout until recently, 'Aldbourne' - I really like the company livery, the matching rolling stock.

The locos are cut and shut versions of the L&B Manning Wardles.

aldbourne_railway_2_500.jpg

aldbourne_railway_1_500.jpg

055%2527Dscf0134cs.jpg

16390718806_4acf24f890_b.jpg

sv205319.jpg

post-898-0-23253300-1487531669.jpg

post-898-0-72733100-1487531669.jpg

post-898-0-31525900-1487531670.jpg

post-898-0-76481600-1487531670.jpg

post-898-0-22349300-1487531671.jpg

post-898-0-72949800-1487531671.jpg

post-898-0-19350100-1487531672.jpg

post-898-0-95395200-1487531672.jpg

post-898-0-46900100-1487531673.jpg

post-898-0-91578900-1487531673.jpg

post-898-0-03522400-1487531704.jpg

(none of these pics are mine)

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 19

Thanks for those pics Corbs. I have to congratulate the maker/makers? of Aldbourne isn't it just lovely and so perfectly executed. I just love it. Anyone know the details of who the maker/makers are?

Edit: Adrian Ponting made it I've subsequently discovered. I wonder it he's a Rmwebber. If you read this Adrian drop us a few pics on this thread I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Edited by iainp

• 3 years later...
On 25/03/2013 at 09:36, Iain Popplewell said:

In the early days of the hobby it was common for 4mm layouts and indeed rolling stock and liveries to be freelance in nature.This may have been of necessity because of the scarcity of rtr. models and mechanisms/wheels etc.Narrowgauge modeling is largely still of this gendre and I bet they have a great deal of fun from the imaginative freedom this gives them.When was the last time you saw a 00 gauge freelance layout?.By freelance I mean a layout with fictitious company livery and history.The freelance 4mm loco is now almost unknown.
In 4mm modeling prototypical fidelity seems to be the name of the game.By pursuing fidelity at all costs the hobby has turned it's back on an earlier happier more imaginative age.I think it is high time the freelance layout was rediscovered.
The type of layout I have in mind is consistent in era of stock ie pregrouping etc. and accurately modeled but with the freedom to run loco/stock of different companies or even freelance stock.If a unifying style of livery and style of rolling stock is adopted a truly imaginative layout might be achieved.

Does anyone remember the Hornby and Peco trackplan books? They provide some helpful, useful and suggestive ideas on how to expand a train set be it a starter set or a big intermeditate one, they sure have a lot of them to offer. I mean, what starts out as a common circle or oval can turn into a gigantic geometric puzzle sometimes with lots of play features!

However, I have seen the ERTL Thomas miniature playsets and the layouts for them are equally-inspiring. I once designed a layout using one as inspiraton but it never took off. However, it's your layout and you can do whatever the hell you want the way you see fit (I know I do). While my N Scale layout is prototypical, my 00 Scale layout is freelance and has that feel to it from a 1920s book or something like that.

One day in the future I would like to do a layout based on a small standard gauge railway network that serves a fictional island located in one of the seas just off the British coast that is only accessed by a ferry - just like the Isle of Wight. The island's railway would use trains that had been retired from service on the British mainland, such as the Pacer units for example!

I have several layout ideas and plans that I would like to build before planning the above idea however... 

Sam

Edited by sammyboy

• 1 year later...