Old Elm Common (N gauge Hydraulic era layout)

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

Here's a set of pictures that I'm taking of each step of the turntable construction and motorising it.

The kit to motorise isn't cheap but it is robust nicely geared and well constructed.

Over the next few days I'll finish the construction of the turntable and mechanism, minus lamps, handrails the 'arch' which I shall make from Plastruct, to a similar look to the Old Oak Common one and post here.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-33479800-1392572663_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-67318800-1392572681_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-72619800-1392572699_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-68126600-1392572722_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The locomotech motorising kit looks a lot better than the kits with flimsy plastic gears that crop up on eBay.

The description implies that needs around 5" of space under baseboard for mounting which is a significant depth. Has OEC been designed with this mind?

The locomotech motorising kit looks a lot better than the kits with flimsy plastic gears that crop up on eBay.

The description implies that needs around 5" of space under baseboard for mounting which is a significant depth. Has OEC been designed with this mind?

Hi Matt,

Nope, I didn't plan this one in I'm afraid.

Purchased baseboards first and was going to put in the Fleischmann electric turntable because it's reliable and indexing. It's also bigger (diameter wise) and costlier, so I opted for the Peco one.

I was going to use the geared motorising unit you mention until my friend Carl mentioned these going on e-bay.

When I got it it was obvious that it was going to protrude an inch or so below baseboard height. :-(

However it's so smooth etc I'll build a box round it to protect it and baseboard 'legs' to prevent contact with the box on the ground when packing and unpacking for shows, as I think the smaller turntable allied to this motor/gearbox system will be worth it for 'looks' alone.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

Nope, I didn't plan this one in I'm afraid.

Purchased baseboards first and was going to put in the Fleischmann electric turntable because it's reliable and indexing. It's also bigger (diameter wise) and costlier, so I opted for the Peco one.

I was going to use the geared motorising unit you mention until my friend Carl mentioned these going on e-bay.

When I got it it was obvious that it was going to protrude an inch or so below baseboard height. :-(

However it's so smooth etc I'll build a box round it to protect it and baseboard 'legs' to prevent contact with the box on the ground when packing and unpacking for shows, as I think the smaller turntable allied to this motor/gearbox system will be worth it for 'looks' alone.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

A good idea about the box around it.

You might also consider building a few extension feet in the corners of the baseboard etc so that if / when the board is put on the ground, the box around the turntable doesn't take all the load or cause the board to rock..

Ian

Hi everyone,

A small update for today.

As you can see from the pictures I'm pretty much ready for turntable painting and weathering. However I do have to extend the width of the turntable platform at each end. one end has a wider refuge, the other will have a small control cabin. Then I will add the metal 'arch' over the turntable centre.

I've also attached the pivot point to the underside of the turntable deck and assured its central and secure.

I have also marked out the circumference of the turntable and will be cutting a circle 7mm in from the outer circle on the dotted markings just visible.

PCB strips have started to go down on baseboard edges for soldering track to, but i've run out of this and need to get more. So if anyone can suggest a shop (online) I can order this from I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-79326200-1392991498_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-71672600-1392991526_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-98374700-1392991543_thumb.jpg

Hello :)

I really hope that there is a weak link somewhere in that drive? It seriously doesnt look like its going to stop for anything (or anyone!). Would it be worth adding some sort of 'over current' thing so if it does jam it will trip out?

Missy :)

Hi Missy,

Good point but reading reviews of Locomotech turntable mechanisms I've yet to find a negative one, let alone a specific one to the point you raise.

I must admit it is a glorious bit of kit, and runs like a Swiss watch. I might put something in the circuit, but it's early days.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just a small update this time.

I've painted and started weathering the Peco turntable well and I'm quite pleased with it, and I shall be adding brick paper to the face next week and weathering it down. I've added the cabin platform one end and the hand cranking platform the other, and will get round to doing the scaffolding that was underneath both next week.

The turntable will then get a scratch built from plasticard arch at the midpoint and etched steel railings etc.

This weekend has seen 4 loco pits go in to the baseboard and I have put a selection of loco's on the roads to show you the look I'm trying to achieve plus a couple of 'through the sheds' looks to show that effect.

Lots more to do!

Hope you like.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-66070700-1394386032_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-08547400-1394386064_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-36164900-1394386085_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-86816700-1394386107_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-53326900-1394386127_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Beautifully filthy Warships, did you weather them yourself?

Hi Matt,

No, these works of art are courtesy of Mercig Studios!

And I can't recommend their work highly enough.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I decided to put a few hours in on the track laying for OEC, and like most things when you plan what you want, you still change things. :mail:

This resulted in a few 'different' ideas that i've now incorporated into the layout.

I have also used a 3 way point, more as a way of experimentation than anything else, and although its not a perfect solution for what I needed it's going to do a job. Besides its RULE 1 so its there now!

All points are wired from the toe, and isolated at the head, with red/black droppers in situ for testing properly. So far all runs as it should and looks quite fascinating threading a loco through the various roads.

Anyway, the next thing is to complete track laying to the turntable, through the sheds, holding tracks around the turntable and a complete test before track weathering. (anyone got one of those delightful wheel and jar rail painter things they can hire me for a week or so?)

Then it's onto laying the concrete (plasticard covered in matt board weathered) between rails before ballasting and starting to add details, back scene etc.

The footbridge is still awaited from CRS who are very busy at the moment but will fit perfectly when it arrives and I am after a decent girder road bridge for the depot entrance linking the town (front right) with the town (back middle).

Anyway, as always, I love to pre-visualise things, so I have dressed the layout with loco's for a general 'feel' of how its coming along and could possibly look.

Enjoy the pictures, and feel free to comment and suggest.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-99149600-1396873314_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-48886000-1396873332_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-63188300-1396873346_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-97610600-1396873360_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-07590400-1396873406_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-19794200-1396873419_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-71033900-1396873431_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-52132600-1396873443_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the kind words

No bookings for it as yet, but in all honesty there a good 12 months of work still to do before it goes out on the road.

I figure the corner town section could take 3 months to get right. And ideally I'd like at least a Dozen sound fitted loco's on it too.

Not sure it would have much show appeal so I'm not going to punt it about for show bookings as a manager of a show turning me down would cause embarrassment.

Cheers

Dave

Looks awesome Dave,

Love the new look. I see you have the water tower from Bachmann. How do you rate it? I've been looking at getting one for Milton grove. But yours is the 1st layout I've seen it on.

Any chance of a few extra pics please.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks mate and I'll try and take some more pictures tomorrow.

The water tower is fantastic and I'd recommend getting one sooner rather than later to be honest.

I've used rust powders on mine to 'age' it somewhat, but it's wonderfully imposing and adds the dimension of height too.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! :locomotive:

I had a quiet couple of days last week and completed the track laying and basic power testing. (all is good in that department so far thank goodness).

I did final testing on the turntable and I am over the moon regarding the speed and controllability of the motor using a gaugemaster combi controller. I have found indexing by eye quite easily achievable which saves a problem unless my eyes fail.

So, I decided to play with some kits Pete from PH Designs did for me in N gauge a year and a bit back, before he started selling them on his web site.

They are inspection staging and although fiddly look great.

The first one did my eyes and head in for about 2 days before I finished it, but the other 2 took only 15 minutes each. I assembled them with superglue finished to date with Halfords Grey car primer. Weathering and painting and washing them will come, but the pictures show how they look in 'works grey'.

I'll be using 2 of the 3 long ones outside by the stopping point of each Pullmann driving vehicle. The short one will go somewhere (no idea yet) and I'm thinking the last long one can go in the main 4 road shed towards the front for visibility.

I took a picture on an uneaven surface of a class 22 with the staging unevenly placed against it, for effect. They are terrific brass kits and visually stunning in N gauge.

While on the subject of the class 22 and after picking a very cheap new one up, I decided to cut a valance off and weather. I need to file the aperture where the valance should be nice and level with the main cut, but it looks good, especially as all the OO detail is mounded on the chassis side for viewing should it be required.

This 22 will be D6312 with full yellow front ends and I have started playing with dry brush weathering on this model before airbrushing, washing and powder weathering. I hope you like progress.

Then on Thursday the postman delivered my new 'Baby' in the shape of a Mercig weathered and detailed class 52 Western "Western Champion" in BR Blue with all the trimmings. Ian really has done a job here as the pictures show, and I'm looking forward to putting sound into this model now! :yes:

Anyway, on with the pictures, please comment or suggest as I'm always open to ideas.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-69778100-1397825238_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-25315700-1397825262_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-96472000-1397825282_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-39461700-1397825303.jpg

post-1144-0-34927400-1397825325_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-89987600-1397825339_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-91867100-1397825355_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-65963100-1397825368.jpg

post-1144-0-06159200-1397825382.jpg

post-1144-0-81656500-1397825394.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave , all good stuff - I have a couple of the inspection platforms and good to see one made up! Western is a stunner and 22 with cut outs look good as well -weathering fine on it as well but no glazing ?

Cheers and thanks for update pictures

Robert    

Hi Robert, I took the glazing out to save problems getting the glass dirty, also I'm changing head codes on it and repositioning the windscreen wipers too.

I'm toying with the idea of losing another valance and taking a third off but putting it back at a slight angle as was sometimes the norm.

Cheers

Dave